15 yrs and now she runs(ish) again - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

So here's a video of my recent run up. Unless someone's got a great idea I haven't thought of, it looks like the engine is coming out. At least partially so I can get the top cover off. Screw driver trick narrows it down to the top of the cylinder. ACCT looks good based on grambos method of checking. Removed carbs and rear exhaust to check out the valves, intake looks good, have to grab a mirror from work tomorrow to check the exhaust. From what I can see through the spark plug holes those look good too. What do you guys think? Ill remove the ACCT completely to make sure it good, but I'm out of easy ideas.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by warbike; 05-07-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:31 PM
NewB to Vulcans

Sounds a little like a stuck valve, have you tried a slug of seafoam in the oil?

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I have not, I have a bottle so I'll try that after I finish rebuilding the carbs. Thanks!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Late update: after trying a few of the tips you guys gave me, engine is coming out. No change in ticking/knocking sound. Was able to go for a quick ride down the hill and around the school parking lot a few times to see if getting it nice and hot would loosen up a stuck lash adjuster if it was that, no change and just plain sounds like crap. No big deal though, been going through Roach's rebuild videos and doesn't look bad at all. Found some metal flakes in the oil screen so it needs to happen anyway. So my wife and I will tear it down this fall/winter and check everything and do needed upgrades. Will be a good time to do other stuff also. I'll update on progress and any issues found and total cost along the way. The bike was free but I really like it and am willing to put a good lump of cash into it to make it run great and give it another 20 years of road time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement