Drained oil for a week now bike knocks at 3000rpm - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Drained oil for a week now bike knocks at 3000rpm

Bike was running perfectly for last 11k. No issues smooth and relatively quiet 🙂
Then I decided to change oil little different way. The one I use is Rotella 5-40. This time however I did not warm the engine before oil drain. I just open the drain thing (as you know it is not exactly a bolt) and just left it drain for a week. After adding a gallon of oil and new k&m filter I started the bike. It is running very nice up to about 3000rpm, then starts to knock like it will have broken pushrod, or half engaged gear. I am afraid to get it to that level. But as far as riding under 3000 is perfect as it was before. I do not believe this is chain tensioners. It is way too sudden. Any ideas?

Last edited by jpiterow; 05-26-2019 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Added promised videos of the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:37 PM

I'm definitely not the guy you're looking for on this forum. I'm a newb. But why would it matter about running the engine? I just changed my oil 2 days ago and I followed an oil change procedure described on this site. It said nothing about running the engine first. It started with "place the pan under the drain plug". Did I follow the wrong procedure? I'd imagine someone would have said, "Hey, don't forget to run the engine first" if there was a danger of damaging the engine.

So my question is, why would not running the engine first cause engine damage?

Also, is there another thread describing the oil change procedure that explains all of that? Do I need to change my oil again?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Running the engine a smidge before draining is to warm the oil up so it will flow easier, that's all.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:37 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've never been able to get a gallon of oil in mine.
Usually around 3 3/4 qts. is plenty.
Oil should not be above black line at top of sight glass when sitting on center stand.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/31-engin...-capacity.html

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
Ditto on what Roadpouring said. Overfilling can cause issues. Double-check your sight glass. There should be an air bubble at the top after you've given the oil time to all settle back into the pan.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:23 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Over filled or maybe go up to midgrade or premium gas and see if the knocking stops.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 PM
GDI

I'm wondering if maybe the hydraulic tensioners might "drain down" if the bike sits long enough? I do know the engines in these bikes make enough noises to drive you crazy if you let them.

I had some very serious concerns after I did the tuxedo mod last year. I started the bike up and there seemed to be a loud knock. I let it idle for a while, and it seemed to get only marginally better. I was worried that I'd messed up the mod and maybe the stator was causing the noises. I pulled it back apart and looked it over, and it didn't look like anything was going on that would be making the noise that I was hearing.

I ran it that way, and it got noticeably better. Ended up going to MCCTs anyway. . . .

It's a noisy engine.

GDI
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:38 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to much oil. Drain it down to the point where others said to, and then try to see if the knock goes away

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

First things first. Unless you live at the north pole, you should be using 20w50 oil. 5w40 is to thin to provide protection for the bearings under load. It has a very low film strength compared to a heavier oil. I can't remember exactly how much oil I put in my Vulcan 750, but it seems it was very close to 4 qts. On the centerstand, you should fill it up VERY SLOWLY until it just touches the top of the sight glass (not the line cast into the case next to the sight glass) If you think you have too much oil in it, siphon out some until you see a tiny little bubble at the top of the sight glass, and leave it there. You will notice that when the engine is running there is no oil visible in the sight glass. That's because the sump is mostly empty, the oil is circulating throughout the engine. What happens when you put too much oil in an engine is the crankshaft will hit the oil in the sump. The engine will feel sluggish and very low on power. And it will blow oil out the breather. The first thing I would do is drain that 5w40 out of it, and fill it to the proper level with 20w50 oil and see what happens. If there is still a problem, it is not likely oil related. Also I always use Emgo oil filters on the VN750. I won't use anything that says K&N or Fram on it, though I don't know if there is a problem with K&N oil filters or not. Fram oil filters are junk.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 PM

I have to ask why you run such a heavy weight oil? I do think 5w40 is too light. Book states 10w40. I've always kept with the suggested weight and never have had issues. I do see you're in Arizona so maybe it's the hotter temps there. As for K&N, I've not had issues with their filters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement