No oil showing while running - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Right on man. Thanks for the reply. I just did the lube job this afternoon. And it looked like someone took the time to lube it before. Although there wasn't much Molly in the coupling, it certainly wasn't dry. And the o-ring looked beautiful on the final drive, but I replaced it with the new one anyway. I left the coupling on since the teeth looked perfect. I did pull the drive shaft off the front splines and put molly on that, even though it said it wasn't necessary. And I sprayed the U joint down with the WL grease I bought. Everything went smoothly except I had to take the right muffler off. It only took 2 extra minutes but it was absolutely in my way. I couldn't see a way around it. Ok, here was my only problem:

I had trouble getting the axle nut back on. It would NOT go on smoothly. There was WAY too much resistance. So I couldn't torque it because I couldn't tell if it was just the thread resistance. So I tightened it as much as I could and then backed it off until the wheel could spin freely. I immediately purchased a replacement axle shaft and nut off of ebay. It'll take a week to get here. I test drove it around the neighborhood, only in 1st and 2nd gear and it feels perfectly normal. What do you think? I got it into position, the wheel spins freely, the rear brakes are working, and the cotter pin is in place. Its definitely not less than 80 ft-lbs. I just dont know if its TOO tight. Like I said, i backed it off until there was no resistance on the wheel's spin. Should be safe, right?

I wonder if I damaged the bolt threads when I was removing it. I can't imagine though because I was using a rubber mallet. But it's possible. It came off smoothly though. So something HAD to have happened after I removed it.

These pics are what I found when I opened it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_135232_1553377156005.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	45639   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_135252_1553377224845.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	45641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_135301_1553377326910.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	45643  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

I didn't take enough after-shots. I only have two. The picture of the coupling is only partially filled. I put one more teaspoon in after this picture. I hope it was enough. It was certainly much more than it had before. I did coat the splines on the final drive, but didnt take a pic. My hands were a mess. I took a picture of the other side of the drive though. I also took the snap-ring off of the wheel and cleaned and lubed inside the wheel - per the addendum instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_142630_1553378282340.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	45645   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_142615_1553378489932.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	45647  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

those splines and coupler look great.

the large spline needs VERY little grease on it. if you over grease it, the grease will fling out all over the rear rim when it get warm. if you doubt me, ask me how I know!

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

LOL...do I need to ask? 😂

So...compared to the time you put too much on...how much did I put on? Will it cause any harm? Do you recommend I go back in and clean some off?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I would clean most of it off.. basically just a thin film. there is no movement between the large spline (that goes to rear wheel) and the spline in the rear wheel. the grease is there more to keep the parts from becoming one with each other over time.
Thorn likes this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so the new rear axle shaft off of ebay came in yesterday. I went back in there and cleaned most of the molly off the rear wheel. The new axle shaft went on like butter. Torqued it to 80 ft lbs. I used the same cotter pin, which is a bit mangled by now. So I'll have to get a new one, but that'll be a quick 2 minute thing. I rode it to work today, which is a good 70 miles there and back and it felt lovely. Well... nothing fell apart anyway. 😁

I just ordered a set of kevlar clutch plates today. I have a really bad case of the coffee grinder syndrome. So I'm going to do the drill procedure. It lurches pretty badly - along with the sound - from 1st. I want that to end. I figured I'd put in new friction plates as well since I'll be in there anyway. And they come with the heavy duty springs. New set off of ebay for $115. I bought a new clutch cable too. The spring on the lower end looks corroded. It almost looks like the way bad battery contacts get. That kimd of white and green corrosion. I wondered if that's an indication of the cables integrity. So, plenty of research to do first, but I'll have the parts on hand.

Off the top of your head, I put k&n air filters in. With greater airflow, are there any other adjustments I need to consider and check? I didnt do the mod. I just bought air filters that fit the stock assembly. No rush on answering. I'll search the forum too. If this is something discussed a thousand times before, don't bother answering. I'll find it. But def weigh in on the other stuff I said if you want. Im new to MCing, so I value your input immensely.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaParvize View Post
Ok, so the new rear axle shaft off of ebay came in yesterday. I went back in there and cleaned most of the molly off the rear wheel. The new axle shaft went on like butter. Torqued it to 80 ft lbs. I used the same cotter pin, which is a bit mangled by now. So I'll have to get a new one, but that'll be a quick 2 minute thing. I rode it to work today, which is a good 70 miles there and back and it felt lovely. Well... nothing fell apart anyway. 😁

I just ordered a set of kevlar clutch plates today. I have a really bad case of the coffee grinder syndrome. So I'm going to do the drill procedure. It lurches pretty badly - along with the sound - from 1st. I want that to end. I figured I'd put in new friction plates as well since I'll be in there anyway. And they come with the heavy duty springs. New set off of ebay for $115. I bought a new clutch cable too. The spring on the lower end looks corroded. It almost looks like the way bad battery contacts get. That kimd of white and green corrosion. I wondered if that's an indication of the cables integrity. So, plenty of research to do first, but I'll have the parts on hand.

Off the top of your head, I put k&n air filters in. With greater airflow, are there any other adjustments I need to consider and check? I didnt do the mod. I just bought air filters that fit the stock assembly. No rush on answering. I'll search the forum too. If this is something discussed a thousand times before, don't bother answering. I'll find it. But def weigh in on the other stuff I said if you want. Im new to MCing, so I value your input immensely.

Ride it and see how it runs.

Have to be careful not to put too much oil on those filters.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

I've been riding it often, and it seems ok I guess. But since it's my first bike and I haven't been at it very long, I wouldn't know what to compare it too. And I put those filters on pretty soon after purchasing it. First thing I did when I bought it was to check them. And when I did, I found they were breaking apart. I was on my honeymoon with the bike, so I bought what I thought would be the best filters for her. But now I don't know how she would've normally run without the added airflow. Ive considered buying a pair of the normal filters and seeing if there's any noticeable difference. I just want to know that I'm getting her max potential power and response and if the airflow affects that. I'll search the rest of the forum today. Thanks for the replies. Im happy we have this forum. 👍
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I see a lot of people thanking for the service manuals. And I've even seen you mention that you posted it in your signature. But I have no idea what that means or where to find it. Is it a download? A link? How do you look at someone's signature to find the link? I didnt want to post this question but it's driving me nuts trying to find it.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaParvize View Post
I see a lot of people thanking for the service manuals. And I've even seen you mention that you posted it in your signature. But I have no idea what that means or where to find it. Is it a download? A link? How do you look at someone's signature to find the link? I didnt want to post this question but it's driving me nuts trying to find it.
Post #6 of this thread.

Quote:
You might not see signatures if you're using a phone, or if sigs are turned off in your User CP. Here's the links:

Owner's - http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Repair/Parts - http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement