Old cooling system - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Old cooling system

I bought my 86 a couple weeks ago and the past owners have not takin care of her at all. Out in the rain parts layin in the dirt etc. anyways the coolant resivore was empty and has what kinda looks like algae in it. How can I flush the entire system? From resivore, radiator and all the little passages in the engine? Just want to make sure everything is clean and open.

Last edited by Chevy65; 01-27-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:38 AM

You can remove the reservoir and wash it out, then you can run a chemical flush if you want, otherwise there's a drain plug on the bottom of the engine, one at the bottom of the radiator, and one near the base of each cylinder jug. Flush with distilled water to your heart's content, then refill with coolant that states it's safe for aluminum engines. Typically I think this is yellow coolant nowadays, at least that's what I put in my engine last time. Engine ice is supposed to help if you're in higher temp areas. Like oils, there's endless discussion on every forum about what the BEST fluid is, but so long as it's aluminum safe and you burp/bleed the system you'll be OK.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
You can remove the reservoir and wash it out, then you can run a chemical flush if you want, otherwise there's a drain plug on the bottom of the engine, one at the bottom of the radiator, and one near the base of each cylinder jug. Flush with distilled water to your heart's content, then refill with coolant that states it's safe for aluminum engines. Typically I think this is yellow coolant nowadays, at least that's what I put in my engine last time. Engine ice is supposed to help if you're in higher temp areas. Like oils, there's endless discussion on every forum about what the BEST fluid is, but so long as it's aluminum safe and you burp/bleed the system you'll be OK.

Will probably just use distilled water “to flush”. “Not use the chemical flush” Less chemicals to have to worry about, the better in my mind. Thanks for the response. Much needed info. I saw all the discussion one says yea used it for years then the next is ranting about how it’s horrible kinda leaves me scratching my head. I’ve got a bottle of prestone extended life cor-guard. Says good for all engines. And good/bad reports?

Last edited by Chevy65; 01-28-2019 at 04:31 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:43 PM
NewB to Vulcans

Coolants have all sorts of corrosion inhibitors in them that are necessary, plain water will cause severe corrosion in the bike

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

yup, only thing worse than straight water is no water

not only corrostion inhibitors, but also lubricants for the water pump

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Edited my last post, wording was misleading and confusing. Thanks again for the responses!

Anybody used prestone extended life cor-guard. Says good for all engines. Just wanted a review before I trashed my bike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:47 AM

Flushing the bike with distilled water (Not tap water) will not harm it in the least if you're going to be putting coolant back in it soon.

Are you referring to the overflow tank? I've found that the nastiness of that tank does not correspond to how clean or dirty your coolant is. I had a tough time cleaning mine out and eventually used a pressurized water stream to get it clean inside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement