Cold right exhaust/loss of power + coolant leak - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Cold right exhaust/loss of power + coolant leak

So I posted quite some threads concerning my vn750 89 after I removed the engine and replaced my stator. After that I had some trouble connecting the carburator and vacuum hoses. The problems seem to keep popping up as I go along repairing my bike. I gues maintanance was long overdue since the last owner didnt use it anymore before selling it to me becouse he bought a vn1500. I have no idea howlong it was sitting. I bought it at 17.000 miles and its now at 26.000.
Because I made a few threads that got really confusing I will continue to update this First post as of the progress im making.

The problems im currently having are:

1. The right side of the exhaust is not getting hot when starting the bike and letting it run for a bit. Its cold to the touch. I'm guessing its running on 1 cylinder now. As I rode it a bit and it felt like I had half the power. This problem began before I removed the engine for the stator replacement.

2. There is a leak of coolent fluid coming from somewhere at the front of the bike. It may be that I didnt connect the hoses tight enough, or forgot a hose tightner. I'll be checking those shortly. I've looked at other threads suggesting this can come from the cover thats inside the front cylinder? Im unsure though since I havnt removed that part of the bike. But it looks like its comming from there or something higher up the engine block.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to look at to fix the problems that i've written above?

Things I've done so far:

1. Removed the engine block and replaced the stator + reconecting the tubes and electrical wires that were removed doing so. (as best as I could)
2. Replaced the cover of the stator casing.
3. Refilled the oil and coolent.
4. replaced the spark plugs. (edit)

Replacing the spark plugs seem to have solved the problem so far. Right exhaust is working again. Funny. They were the 29 year old stock spark plugs!

Only the leaks remain comming from the connection ports that connect to both cylinders. probably bad rings.

Last edited by Panarock; 01-22-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:33 PM

For your cylinder not firing:

Are you getting spark? Pull the plugs and start/try starting the bike and check the sparks on the side not firing. Did you clean the carbs? If not, I'd guess a stuck float or plugged jet. If you didn't clean the carbs, try that. Whether you did or not, pull the main jet and pilot jet and get them cleaned by a local shop with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Actually, first, make sure you have the gas line connected to both sides of the carbs so that it is getting fuel.

I'd bet the coolant leak is caused by either a lose hose, or a worn out hose. Pull your hoses and try reseating them. Make sure all connections are nice and snug and really tightened on. Make sure you pull the hoses and reconnect them, because if they're not on there right, simply retightening them will not fix the issue
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

when I did my stator and pulled the engine to do it, I ended up with a coolant leak at the thermostat (located above the front cylinder, kinda under the right neck cover/fuel tank).

all I can think is that moving the hoses around broke up some corrosion that was sealing where the o-ring for the thermostat is. New o-ring, cleaned the crud, no leak.

There are however many places a leak can occur

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I just am too confused about the conection of the carb. Because something tells me i didnt connect the tubes properly. I snapped a few pictures.

This is a picture of the left side of the bike looking at the carb.
In red is what I connected to the vacuum port of the petcock.

This picture is from the right side of the carb. I thought this tube was no. 92959D on the picture below. So its currently connected to no 16126. Also in red

But im guessing this is just a drain and isnt connected to anything? Becouse it suggests that 92059D is connected to the carb as seen in the picture below(in red) since they both have the same order number, is this correct? If this is true then im confused as to where the tube from the first picture is connected to.

And lastly in the picture below is shown in red the same conection port as shown in the first picture. Im guessing the yellow connection port (its to the right of the left fuel line, as looking from the left side of the bike) is suppose to be the T split? (part no 92005 in the picture above, shown in blue.)
Because my bike doesnt seem to have the T-split tubes. they were never on my bike (99% sure)

Also I gues the final end of the t-split (92959C) is connected to 92059C as shown in the 3th picture?

It would help if you guys would give pictures or part numbers when talking about diffrent parts. I've noticed from my previous posts that im quickly getting confused because im not used to using english names for these parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	45445  

Last edited by Panarock; 01-21-2019 at 08:38 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:10 AM

Check out this post. The photo was lost it seems but I found it with google

https://www.vn750.com/forum/22-carbs...nnections.html

So If I understand correctly, You need to connect your brass nub from the first picture to the vacuum line on the petcock (middle nub). The matching brass nub on the left side of the bike goes to 16126

92059A (2) go to the left and right fuel nubs on the petcock

92059B (2) goes to a T connector, and the single hose goes to the right airbox. Make sure to cut the end going into the airbox at a 45 degree angle, and do not insert it too tightly. This is the carb vent hoses which allows the carb to add and remove air when taking in fuel.

I did the ear shave procedure, so for me that line just sits in an area of dead air on the bike, and the right side brass nub is plugged on my bike because of the ear shave. So basically I removed the pain in the ass surge tank, ears, and emissions system.

It looks like everything is going where it needs to. I'd check again that everything it hooked up tightly and that all hoses are in good condition so there are no leaks.

So if everything is hooked up right, and your lines are good, it might be time to tear open the carbs and start cleaning!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 11.56.58 PM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	45447  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 AM

Also you can try Wolfie's blowback method if you think the float is clogged

https://www.vn750.com/forum/22-carbs...arb-clean.html
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Replacing the spark plugs seem to have solved the problem so far. Right exhaust is working again. Funny. They were the 29 year old stock spark plugs!

Only the leaks remain comming from the connection ports that connect to both cylinders. probably bad rings. Does anyone know a cheap solution? I dont mind spending 4euros per ring but if there is an alternative that works just as well and doesnt let me wait 2 weeks of shipping time id take it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement