Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Antifreeze Leak

So I have a leak. This pipe is leaking where it enters the rear cylinder head. I know there is an O-ring. That pipe was a f*cking pain to remove when I was removing the air box. So I could just need a new O-ring but I was wondering what the worst case was? could I have screwed up the cylinder head? Maybe the worst that could happen is the pipe is now a little bent and I need a new one? It went back in a lot easier than it came out. That should have been my first clue!

It doesn't seem to be sitting in exactly the same place it was before. But it is pushed in as far as I can get it to go. It is about a paper's width higher now. Maybe there is some trick I don't know to make sure your O-ring is seated correctly? What else should I do besides get a new O-ring to make sure the leak is fixed? As always, thanks for the help and info!

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 4300 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield
KM style dash
LED everything + additional brake lights &
LED plate bolts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:58 PM

Were the ends of the tubes pitted where the o=ring rides? Deep pits might need filled.

A generous coat of grease might help, make sure the holes are clean.

There's also room for an extra o-ring.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 11:37 PM
GDI

I've had those tubes out on both the Vulcan and the 454 that I fixed up last year. One of the tubes on the 454 needed replacement as it was pitted really bad and there really wasn't much left to save. I bought new from Parzilla. They're really not too expensive, but Parzilla is not very fast for me. It takes minimum 10 days to (more likely) 2 weeks to get an order from them.

Like Spockster said, I just put a new o-ring on from an generic kit I bought at Harbor Freight, and greased it up good with some "plumber's grease" from Ace Hardware or the like. Then a little steel wool to clean-up the hole, and it was all good. Yes, it goes in much easier than it came out, but I haven't noticed any leaks so it's all good.

GDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement