\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhaust covers

How in the hell do you guys keep the exhaust covers from rusting? I have changed them out a few time for different reason and they rust almost instantly! Those thin little chrome covers that cover up that ugly exhaust clamp that holds the exhaust pipe on to the exhaust manifold? I dont get it. Twice I have put new ones on, and it is completely rusted by the end of the summer. Then there are people on here that post pictures of their bikes and those covers are all bright and shinny! I am assuming there isn't some big conspiracy on this forum to make me question my sanity.... but I could be wrong. Maybe everyone puts on new covers before they take pictures of their bike, just to make me think my bike somehow has an acidic aura?

those covers heat up and the chrome burns right off. I would think the engine is burning way to hot, and maybe it is, but my gas mileage is about right. So I can't be burning that rich, right?

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 4300 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield
KM style dash
LED everything + additional brake lights &
LED plate bolts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M. View Post
.... I would think the engine is burning way to hot, and maybe it is, but my gas mileage is about right. So I can't be burning that rich, right?
No, but it could be running lean. Rich mixture runs cooler, lean mix runs hotter. What do your plugs look like? Where does your temp gauge usually read?

Probably didn't help much due to the heat, but I waxed all of mine and cleaned the rust off the back when I had the bike all apart. I'd say the rust starts on the back side of these parts.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 08-01-2018 at 08:30 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Where do you keep your bike? I've had no problem with the chrome, but I did go through with somc CLR and a steel wool pad a couple years ago and scrubbed them down good and that eliminated a TON of the corrosion. Still pitted, but at least it looks OK. Now that mine is under a cover outside I suppose it'll accelerate, but the exhaust heat shields shouldn't be getting TOO hot since they're not making much contact with the exhaust.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM

Moisture, in all it's forms, is everywhere. Moisture and oxygen, over time, equals rust.

Covers are better than rain/snow, but they make high humidity unless vented effectively.

My VN sweats in the garage even when covered, and the projects under tarps do too.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M. View Post
How in the hell do you guys keep the exhaust covers from rusting? I have changed them out a few time for different reason and they rust almost instantly! Those thin little chrome covers that cover up that ugly exhaust clamp that holds the exhaust pipe on to the exhaust manifold? I dont get it. Twice I have put new ones on, and it is completely rusted by the end of the summer. Then there are people on here that post pictures of their bikes and those covers are all bright and shinny! I am assuming there isn't some big conspiracy on this forum to make me question my sanity.... but I could be wrong. Maybe everyone puts on new covers before they take pictures of their bike, just to make me think my bike somehow has an acidic aura?

those covers heat up and the chrome burns right off. I would think the engine is burning way to hot, and maybe it is, but my gas mileage is about right. So I can't be burning that rich, right?
I've full earshaved, K&N filters right on carbs, stock exhaust, 40 pilot jet, 140 main jet, 2 1/2 turns out on the front cylinder, 3 turns out on the rear cylinder.
Got 50 mpg today and temp needle running just to the left of the Santa Maria at 25 - 50 mph.

Mine was way lean and running hotter with smaller jets. Wasn't monitoring the mpg at that time.
New plugs remained scary white.

My shop is quite dry, so with occasional cleaning the rust is stayin in check... so far.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:05 AM

WD-40 and Aluminum foil. I cleaned up all of the chrome on mine with aluminum foil. Its softer than chrome so it won't scratch it, but it is harder than rust so it'll pull it off. Takes some time and elbow grease but its worth it. And of course, a wax afterwards should help keep the water off it.
roadpouring likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:34 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Mileage tip:

I park the bike on the side stand with the bars hard left on level pavement at the gas pump.
Then I fill the tank 'til it just touches the left bottom edge of the filler tube which extends downward inside the tank from the fuel cap.
Occasionally I use a definitely non-sparking flashlight to watch the gas as it approaches the edge of the tube and 'til it just touches it.
Then I set my odometer to zero.
After riding 'til I'm ready to fill up again, I do the exact same routine with parking and filling.
Then I divide the gallons, including decimal points. into the miles driven, including decimal points and that yields a very close mpg.

Of course, mileage will vary according to terrain, how you shift and how much you torque the throttle.
kryptonianjorel likes this.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob

Last edited by roadpouring; 08-02-2018 at 02:04 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:24 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Mine never rusted. Your bike must be one of the cheap Chinese knock-offs.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Mine never rusted. Your bike must be one of the cheap Chinese knock-offs.
clearly...

Drew
Spline lube
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
KM style dash
LED plate bolts

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
No, but it could be running lean. Rich mixture runs cooler, lean mix runs hotter. What do your plugs look like? Where does your temp gauge usually read?

Probably didn't help much due to the heat, but I waxed all of mine and cleaned the rust off the back when I had the bike all apart. I'd say the rust starts on the back side of these parts.
Yea, the rust starts on the back for sure. Last year I replaced the heat shields on the pipes because the clamps had rusted through and the shields fell off. I painted the back with ceramic engine paint. They seem to be holding up really well. however, the chrome on those little covers at the manifolds burned right off. I did not back paint those. I should have.

I will have to check the plugs. I haven't pulled them out, ever, i dont think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
Where do you keep your bike? I've had no problem with the chrome, but I did go through with somc CLR and a steel wool pad a couple years ago and scrubbed them down good and that eliminated a TON of the corrosion. Still pitted, but at least it looks OK. Now that mine is under a cover outside I suppose it'll accelerate, but the exhaust heat shields shouldn't be getting TOO hot since they're not making much contact with the exhaust.
I keep it in a garage. I am at sea level and on the coast. So 60% humidity is a dry day. The heat shields on the pipes are fine. its those little shields on on the manifolds. the chrome burned right off. I couldnt make it shinny now if tried. Id have to buy new ones again.

Drew
Spline lube
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
KM style dash