Oil coming from front cylinder breathe hose - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Oil coming from front cylinder breathe hose

Ok so I finally pulled the motor off the bike pulled the front cylinder off, question, Is it possible that the oil could be getting pulled thru the cam side of the head and into the breather tube? The gasket don't seem to be worn out anyplace that I can see but I did notice that there was black gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. Seems to me that someone else might have pulled this apart before and didn't put new gaskets in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 09:33 AM

No, the crankcase breather hose comes from the crankcase to the airbox. The only connection to the heads is the oil drainback holes which are gravity fed.

If oil comes from the crank breather, it almost has to be from excess crankcase pressure caused by compression leaking into the crankcase, or possibly from over-filling.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Old 06-29-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

This is the hose I'm talking about, it only pushes oil out of it when I bring the rpm up to around 2000, At an idle it don't. What would cause pressure to build up in the crankcase. And if it is building up in the crankcase would it make oil come out of this hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180629_172617339_HDR_1530308018051.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	44893  

Old 06-29-2018, 06:51 PM

Well the pic refreshes my memory, I thought the hose was down lower than the head.

Excess crankcase pressure usually happens with broken/burned pistons, broken rings, etc, anything that lets large amounts of compression into the crankcase. Yes, the pressure can force liquid oil out of the vents, I've seen turbo engines blow all the vent/pcv hoses off the engine when it was revved up. That was an extreme case, a hole melted into a piston. A blown head gasket could also do it, if broken in the right spot.

Can you see the opening for the hose by looking down into the head?

How do the pistons/rings look?

Are the sintered (porous) iron filters still installed in the head? They're about the size of a foam earplug, and look similar to the pic below. Should be located where the oil drains from the head.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

Last edited by Spockster; 06-29-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:10 PM

Looking back at your first post....

Gasket sealer on a head gasket is a definite no-no. As is re-using an old head gasket.

Any signs of internal leakage on either head gasket? Problem spot would probably be the ring that surrounds the cylinder. Compression blowing into any area open to the crankcase could give you this issue.

2003-21k mi

Old 06-29-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok first pic is this the filter your talking about, if it is then yes it's still there. Second pic this is the only spot than had oil in it when I pulled the cylinder head off the motor, the top of the piston was dry. Third pic gasket sealer on the head gasket. I haven't pulled the jug off the motor the Piston looked ok I don't see any cracks on the top of it, and the motor send to have plenty of compression. It ran great before I pulled it apart only issue was it pissing oil out of that hose when I brought rpms up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180629_181946146_HDR_1530310926255.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	44895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180629_181752619_HDR_1530310955851.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	44897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180629_181840153_1530310977564.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	44899  
Old 06-29-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I couldn't see the pic you posted it says it's blocked
Old 06-29-2018, 07:53 PM

Funny, I still see my pic, but it looks like you found the filter.

Can you move the piston down and look for any scoring or grooves? That would come from broken rings.

I wouldn't have much faith at all in those head gaskets sealing ... But it had compression.

Could it have been way over full on oil? These engines love to put gas into the oil, especially if the petcock is leaking gas into the vacuum line.

Don't get those cams mixed up.

2003-21k mi

Old 06-29-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

No the oil wasn't over full and didn't smell like gas either. I marked the cams with tire crayon so I wouldn't mix them up. Lol.. I'll crank the motor over tomorrow when I get home from work and check to see what the cylinder wall looks like.i think someone else had the motor apart before I got the bike I thought it seemed weird that there was gasket sealer on the gasket.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:41 AM
I'm a rider

Garage
I had one VN that did that, I'll have to think on it to remember the fix. On a side note however I have gotten small amounts of oil from there with ALL of my VN's. Never any large amounts other than the one that filled my airbox and pods.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement