Mutazu GA Hard saddlebags on Kawasaki F&S bag supports - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
yes i saw the pics...the also said the bags were made of ABS plastic....wich if that is the case...painting them will be harder than if they had paint on em to begin with.
If you wanted to paint them a different color to more match your bike, you could wet sand them with some fine grit sand paper to scuff them up enough for a coat of primer to hold, let that dry, then hit it with at least one more coat of primer then a few coats of paint and top it all off with a few coats of clear coat, give'em a light sanding for a nice smooth finish, wax and buff them and they should come out looking really nice.

Just my 2 cents

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Those bags look great by the way Sloppy, thinking of doing the same my self.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
post #23 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:37 PM

I realize this is an old post, but this is very nice indeed. Impressive!

post #24 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Lurker

Thanks! Hey, I still check this thread from time to time incase anyone asks any more questions. So, feel free to ask me if you have any. -Sloppy.

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328

Last edited by Sloppyburpfest; 10-02-2009 at 04:00 PM.
post #25 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Hey Sloppybfst, I have put links to this thread for at least half a dozen guys looking for good info on bags or installation, including two in the past two days. It`s an excellent resource for anyone about to tackle this mod for the first time. If/when I ever put on some better bags , I will be back for a refresher course.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #26 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Adventuregeek

Hey, I wanted to thank you for this GREAT photo thread. You inspired me to go Mutazu GA on my ride. I also used the Kawa support kit, and it was worth every penny. I got them installed last week, and have made a couple grocery runs already. LOVE 'EM! I'm not posting pix yet, 'cuz it looks too much like yours. I'm planning to add lift handles, maybe some striping or decals - I'll post pix if that works out.

Optional extra: I cut a cheap duffel bag in half, then sewed ends shut or additional drawstrings to make two smaller bags for use as liners in the hard cases. They help keep my cargo clean, and I can simply pull the bags out when I get the groceries home. When I want to fill them to the top, the drawstring closure helps keep my load out of the lock and from sticking out the sides when closing. Cheap and easy.

Thanks again SloppyB!

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Coastered, R&R relocation, MCCT's, Koso mirrors, Memphis Shades windshield, Mutazu GA hard bags, big monkey in the saddle. ATGATT: Olympia AST hi-viz jacket, Recon 2 (convertible) pants
post #27 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Since others are starting to catch on to the fact that these black GA hardbags compliment our bike so well, I wanted to add other info about these bags that should also be food for thought.

Since adding these same black GA bags to my bike a while back, I have been in 2 separate crashes, each affecting one of the bags.

The point I'm trying to make here is the fact that these "hard" bags also afford you (and the bike) some additional protection in a crash. These bags did a fine job of absorbing the impact they experienced, but managed to stay basically intact--preventing damage to adjacent bike parts. The bags also helped keep the bike off me, preventing more extensive injuries.

"Soft" saddlebags simply don't bring this same level of protection to the table.

These Mutazu brand hardbags are also lockable, which is great peace of mind for a brief visit inside a store or restaurant.

To match the red pin striping on my bike's fuel tank, I added red pin striping on the top portion of both bags. This makes the bags look (to a casual observer) like they were (almost) factory installed.

Hope some of this helps...
T-Bone likes this.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #28 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Lurker

Theauhawk, did you also use the Kawasaki saddlebag supports? What the heck were you doing to have two accidents, one on each side!? Were these parking lot tipovers? The vast majority of accidents happen at less than 30 MPH. 60 MPH+ crashes are statistically very rare despite what people think about bikes. It's sad that you've put the bags through two crash tests, but it's comforting to hear that they minimized other damage to the bike. How bad are they? Did they crack, indent or just scrape?

Tiki Mon, I'm glad I inspired you and perhaps others too, and I'm very pleased that you "LOVE 'EM!". Since posting my original pictures I've added one 1"x4" red reflector to the outer sides of each of my bags, just below where the lid meets the bags and towards the rear of them, to liven them up a little.

Guys, post a picture or two of your own bags, inspire me!

Thanks -Sloppy

R.I.P. Lance328
post #29 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Well Sloppy, to answer your questions...

Yes, I also used the Kaw saddlebag supports. Other supports would surely involve more effort and time to get a good fit and look.

My most recent crash was posted here in a thread back in September (https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12642). Earlier, in another crash I was rear-ended by an inattentive cager the day b4 last Thanksgiving, during lunchtime (I was right in front of him, at high noon, with perfect visibility and good weather conditions). The bike landed on the left saddlebag. I landed on my feet; later X-rays showed that I had no real injuries in this accident.

Moral to the last crash: if the bike is in any real turn, locking up the front wheel then will result in a low-side crash. To help prevent this condition, either ride a bike with anti-lock brakes, or regularly practice using the Vulcan's brakes in "panic" situations (but in a straight path). This poses a real dilemma for us bikers if we are in a curve (especially a curve to the right) and need to stop quickly; we of course won't always have the luxury of time and space needed to stand the bike up straight in order to brake hard. In a curve to the right, this can easily put us in the path of any oncoming traffic.

Moral to the earlier crash: if you make a turn, be sure and use your bike's turn signals. This is especially true if you think no one is behind you but you are still in "busy" traffic conditions....

Moral from both crashes: dress for the crash--NOT the ride. Your overall level of conspicuity must compete with a cager's cell phone, so plan accordingly. Be sure you also wear gear that will protect you not just from impact, but also from road rash (i.e., wear crash-ready cover apparel for arms, legs, etc). Without boots that offer excellent ankle protection, I would instead have been in the hospital from the second crash (instead of just a sprained ankle). Boots that offer excellent toe protection kept me from serious injury in the earlier crash, as I'm pretty sure the offender ran over my left foot.

Why all this? Well, if you ride often enough and long enough, STUFF HAPPENS....

In both cases, the GA saddlebags fractured, but remained basically intact. In both cases, the bike would have suffered more extensive damage without these hard bags.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 11-14-2009 at 10:24 AM.
post #30 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Lurker

Yikes, sorry about all that. I thought you were going to say something like you were riding fast and dangerous. It really sucks when other people cause your accidents. I was rear ended once too by 86 y/o man in a 76 Chevy Nova and I was stopped in traffic in daylight as well, but that was before the VN750.

So they cracked huh? Think they are repairable or are the cracks hardly noticeable? At $115 a pair if you could certainly replace them with new ones and still be ahead cost-wise of some of the other hard saddlebags sets out there. I assume the Kawasaki bag supports are in good shape.

-Sloppy

R.I.P. Lance328
Sponsored Links
Advertisement