Highway pegs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Highway pegs

So I've been reading a bunch of threads on crash bars and highway pegs but they're all old threads and the seller websites and sources for them are all dried up! So what are my options in 2017 for highway pegs? Do I have to fab up my own? Would like to do something low-profile as I'm not a huge fan of big crash bars. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 PM

The Fire & Steel crash guard serves a purpose of mounting highway pegs (it's not much of a crash guard).

many people have fabbed their own. There are a few 'common' methods.

I'm sure you start seeing pictures here shortly

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 12:49 PM

I used an old set of frame mount Sportster highway pegs, and built up support pieces using allthread and aluminum stock from the hardware store.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Old Fart

Garage
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 04:25 PM

Garage
Cole, I have been lurking these forums for several years now and have found that unless you have a machine shop at your disposal and are a pretty accomplished machinist, your best bet is to look at the specs that Knifemaker has and make/modify those to suit your personal needs. He has it all laid out and it requires minimal machining. Unless you buy a crash guard/highway bar, this is absolutely your best bet.

- "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

'92 VN750
AGM battery, Iridium Spark plugs, Repaired/upgraded wiring per Mcinturff method, RLU removed, Repaired shift linkage, Exhaust baffles removed, Black ISO grips installed, installed SH775 R/R, Ignition coil relay mod, replaced stator housing.

Future projects: whatever it takes to keep riding

Currently working on: Light bar, LED upgrades, Dash cleanup/paint
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 03:22 PM

Garage
Knifemaker, what are the dimensions on the straps (length and hole locations)? What is the length of threaded rod? What is the length of the spacers and the rubber sleeves?

I'm thinking of making this and using some bicycle pegs for it. That is, provided I can find 14mm threaded rod.

Thank you!

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I did not take exact dimensions. The mounting points are he front engine mount bolts, you'll just have to measure that distance yourself. The 3/16 strap steel was used because the upper bolt is 3/16" farther in than the lower one due to the angle of the frame, so the mounts are square.
The important part is just to make sure the "triangle" isn't so big that the front wheel/fender won't contact it even under full fork compression. I actually used bicycle handlebar grips as the rubber for the pegs.
I believe I bought longer bolts.

Everything else was bought at Lowes. Don't have the bike anymore to give you exact dimensions.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
For those interested, I'm drawing up the pieces in Solidworks.
I have access to a 3D printer at work, so I'm making a prototype set to determine where I want the pegs to be located.
Once I determine the optimal location, I'll modify the 3/16 pieces to be of proper length and hole location.
The clearance cut into the 1/4" thick piece is only a guessitmation.
I'll use this prototype set to size it better.
I'll modify the 1/4" piece with proper clearance.

One change I made from Knifemaker's plans, is I upsized the horizontal rod to 14mm.
This is the standard size for bicycle pegs.
I bought a set similar to the ones pictured.
They will thread on directly to a 14mm threaded rod (which I bought at the local hardware store).

If you are interested in the files, I have them in SolidWorks 2014 format and .STL format (for 3D printing).
When I am done, I'll also post part drawings in PDF format.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Highway Pegs.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	45491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pegs.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	45493  

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
I'd be interested in getting files from you. I've been looking for something like this for quite some time now!

Brandon Ollhoff
1995 VN750
Milwaukee, WI

Planned modifications:
USB Outlet + Voltmeter
LED headlamp
LED turn signals
Windshield
Ear Shave (possible)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:35 PM

Garage
This project is on hold at the moment. Highway pegs are useless for a bike that doesn't run!

I can send you what I have.

Completed modifications:

Planned modifications:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement