Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Frame mount highway pegs

I am curious if anyone has tried directly clamping longhorn style highway pegs to the frame. I was tginking about getting something like these and directly mounting to the frame on the sides of the radiator.

1 1/4" 32mm Chrome Highway Foot Pegs Footrest Clamps for Harley Engine Guard Bar | eBay

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I don't know about mounting them to the frame but if doing it there my first thought is would they stick out far enough? Most footpegs are mounted some inches outward from the frame to start with and that gives you some "spread" in foot placement.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:31 PM

I like that style of peg for the adjustability, but I can usually find them for a lot less.

Have looked at frame mounting before and decided it can't be done with our frame and radiator. Most build theirs with a 3-4" plate that extends past the radiator and bolts to the frame with the two bolts on each frame tube. Or they get a crash bar to mount to.

Here's a super secret trick to sometimes find cheap Kuryakyn stuff on ebay. You'll be surprised how many people misspell Kuryakyn. eBay Typo and Misspelling Search - TypoHound

Also see that style of peg listed for less. Some listings call them swing wing pegs. Don't pay $35-60 for the ISO brake pedals either, I was getting those for $12, and the 7/8" ISO grips for $22.
slimangel24 and davej323 like this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:41 PM

The frame circumference is actually too large for those. You can put a fabric tape measure around and you'll see its much bigger. Concerning width, stock foot rests go out 7.5" max frame frame width but the further your feet are forward the more strain you'd have on your inner thighs unless they are spread even wider (at least I believe so..)

IIRC there is not as much free real estate on the frame near radiator as I thought when considering the same.

2002 vn750
AGM battery, Shinko 230 tires oversized front
Ear shaved - k&n pods, drilled clutch basket
MCCT
40/138 jetting

If I can split a case and make it work - you can too!
Forum pictures:http://s150.photobucket.com/user/Gid...?sort=3&page=1
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
The frame circumference is actually too large for those. You can put a fabric tape measure around and you'll see its much bigger. Concerning width, stock foot rests go out 7.5" max frame frame width but the further your feet are forward the more strain you'd have on your inner thighs unless they are spread even wider (at least I believe so..)

IIRC there is not as much free real estate on the frame near radiator as I thought when considering the same.
Is that 1.25" measurement meant to be circumference? I thought it was diameter! I checked with my calipers this morning, and thought our frame is about 1.25 diameter. Of course, the battery is dead in my calipers so I was trying to look at the tick marks and my eyes aren't what they used to be!

That width thing is definitely a concern though, and that was why this particular set caught my attention. They seem to flare out a bit. Hard to tell without measurements.

I was really hoping someone else had already tried this, but looks like probablu not.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 05:39 PM

You are probably right, that the 1.25 is diameter for the pegs. spacing with the thickness of the ring is likely to be an issue I would think given how cramped everything is around the frame near the radiator. There is also an elbow or bracket of some kind IIRC in the area you likely want placement?

2002 vn750
AGM battery, Shinko 230 tires oversized front
Ear shaved - k&n pods, drilled clutch basket
MCCT
40/138 jetting

If I can split a case and make it work - you can too!
Forum pictures:http://s150.photobucket.com/user/Gid...?sort=3&page=1
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
You are probably right, that the 1.25 is diameter for the pegs. spacing with the thickness of the ring is likely to be an issue I would think given how cramped everything is around the frame near the radiator. There is also an elbow or bracket of some kind IIRC in the area you likely want placement?
Yeah, that spacing is definitely a concern. I was thinking I might be able to Dremel out a notch in the radiator cover for more room, but still might be a bad idea messing around so close to the radiator.

I think I might have possibly come up with another idea. I have these universal mounts that came with my Mutazu hard cases. I will most likely be mounting the cases directly to the Kawasaki FAS mounts, so I might be able to bolt these to the frame somewhere. They will probably need to be cut shorter, and maybe stabilized side-to-side with some allthread, but I think this is a more realistic starting point.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 PM

Need to use both bolts on the frame tube or the piece will always pivot downward.

There was a recent post where two flat stock pieces were bolted into a triangle, one piece from each bolt, then the two flats met where the peg and all-thread ran through both flats.

The other way is to make a triangular plate. Aluminum stock is really easy to work with.

Have always thought the rear peg mounts looked like they might fit on the front frame tube and bolts, but never got around to checking. I've decided highway pegs will kill my back.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The question here is ...why? It's not hard to build a bracket to mount pegs. The frame is actually fairly close so unless you have really short legs, not sure what the benefit of mounting them to the frame would be. The whole point of highway pegs is to stretch out your legs...not just move your feet up.

See my design for highway pegs in my sig line.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The question here is ...why? It's not hard to build a bracket to mount pegs. The frame is actually fairly close so unless you have really short legs, not sure what the benefit of mounting them to the frame would be. The whole point of highway pegs is to stretch out your legs...not just move your feet up.

See my design for highway pegs in my sig line.
The why is because I don't know the first thing about metalworking. I do want to stretch my legs out on the highway. I have a 32" inseam, and feel cramped up on the stock pegs. An engine guard would be the ideal platform for this, but they seem to be so hard to come by and so expensive!

Definitely gonna check out the link on your sig line when I get back to a desktop. Thanks for the tip!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement