Kanuck's Lowers & Hand Guards - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Lightbulb Kanuck's Lowers & Hand Guards

Well, here's my attempt at battling the cold. The hand Guards work great. They deffinatly take the chill off the hands. Even with cold weather gloves, your hands can still get cold. This is pretty simple & Really Cuts the Cold. I used 1/8" clear plex for these. I cut them out with a jigsaw using a pattern I printed out marking the dimension & holes. The brackets are made from some flat rod steel & electrical conduate. The flat rod steel is twisted & bent to acomidate the angle inwhich the plex is to be held. The conduate is pressed at the ends & used for sturdiness. I mad 3 before I got it right. Then just one more for the other side. These mount to the mirror post. Off & on in minutes.

The lowers are made from 1/8" lexan. These need to be thicker or have a reinforcing brace on the back. I'll probably just make a brace. That would be easer. The bracket for the lowers was made from .080 aluminum. I had the idea to use the existing hardware from the bike as I found it difficult to locate any aftermarket clamps to use that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I took a peice of package cardboard (cerial box) & put it in the space in the brace of the tripple tree. Obviously at this point the bolt is removed. Through the bolt hole I shuved a pencil. Thus the hole & space I needed for a tight fit against the fork. The rest is similar to the hand guards. Cut out the plastic, drill some holes and put it all together. Like the hand guards, on and off in minutes.

I've never been on another bike that had lowers so I don't know if they perform properly or not. They deffinatly take the chill off the knee.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Both look great!
The hand guard brackets look super
One thing I'd say about the lowers......
Are you sure the clamp you bolted your bracket through still holds the fork tight?
IMO, it'd be better to mount the bracket on the outside of the clamp, on the bolt head side (unless there's enough of a gap to still hold everything tight)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Are you sure the clamp you bolted your bracket through still holds the fork tight?
IMO, it'd be better to mount the bracket on the outside of the clamp, on the bolt head side (unless there's enough of a gap to still hold everything tight)
That was one thought I had. Mount them to the outside. But the .080 aluminum fits the "natural" gap that was left buy my fork clamps. So the clamping strength around the fork hasn't changed. They basically use the space as a brace & the bolt holds it all in place. So, as far as I can tel at this point they're good. I've deffinatly seen a drop in fuel milage, but it's still better than any of my other vehicles. Averaging 42mpg with them on.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 PM

Did you ever put latex gloves on under your riding gloves? Your hands will stay warm as toast, but they will be a bit wet when you remove your gloves.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:03 PM

Do your lowers keep the wind, coming around the tank. from hitting you in the chest?
I like the looks and if they stop the wind, I think I will make a pair. How may mpg did you lose?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Yeh, it makes some differance with that. I was averaging 46mpg & get 41 with them on. I always liked the feel of riding a bike. Feeling the wind. But when the wind is 40 degrees, I don't like it as much! =) One other possible cause, I seem to get slightly lower milage when its in the 40's. My milage is I think a combination of the two.

& No, I've never tried latex gloves.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Kanuck, those look great! And if they keep you warm, the loss in mpg is worth it. Wish I had your McGyver-like skills - I'm gonna have to go to JB Cycles or something.

C
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:48 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The pics don't come up for me, but I'll go with popular opinion and say nice job anyway.

I was thinking about putting on a windshield just for fall/winter riding as well, simply for cold air protection. Still haven't talked myself into though, but if I do, right now I'm leaning towards one like the one up there on Hyper's bike, only smoked.

I don't ride for good gas mileage so I don't care if it drops during the winter either.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:43 AM

nice job, i think clear lowers would match the bike better though.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Senior Lurker

The hand guards are brilliant! You've inspired me to try to make some of my own. Thanks! -Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328
Sponsored Links
Advertisement