Has anyone ever tried an extra side-storage project? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vulcan2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Has anyone ever tried an extra side-storage project?

Since I'll 99.9% never have another passenger again I'm thinking of removing my rear footpegs and try to fabricate some sort of side storage boxes that uses the current footpeg supports. I have hard mounted saddlebags and am thinking about some designs for a very roughly wedge shaped box (but not pointed of the forward point) that would fit in front of the bags yet still be out of the way of me when I sit. I'm thinking I can find a local sheet metal fabrication shop that can make the bottom metal base that could slip into the existing footpeg support and be secured by, perhaps, a quick release pin for example (so it would not be permanently mounted and in the way of factory side covers). The wooden box would fit on top of their creation and can even be leather covered to match the saddlebags and color scheme of my '06. The wedge shape would be to sorta kinda make it streamlined. It's difficult to describe but my mental image of the finished product is pretty slick.
Regardless of my final design has anyone ever dabbled in using this space for such a thing? For that matter, has anyone used the footpeg supports for anything aside from the footpegs?

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Givi uses the peg bracket as a mounting point for their removable bags.

I've seen folks build their own mounts to hold Pelican cases....I got very close to doing the same.

If you're looking for more storage, why have saddlebags AND some kind of box.... when you can just use larger saddle bags, ammo cans, those aluminum boxes you see on those "adventure bikes" or just a couple of medium sized suitcases?
Have you thought of using a top case instead? If you never plan to have a passenger, you could mount a fairly big one...with an attached back rest for you.

These look pretty cool...not heard of them before..
http://www.kappamoto.com/cases/

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 09-23-2016 at 04:58 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
The word "box" tends to bring into the mind's eye some clunky, boxy, all right-angled thing. I might be so inclined to use ammo boxes on a dirt bike perhaps but I've always been completely turned off to the appearance of squared off boxes on street motorcycles, regardless of how practical they may truly be. I already have a nice travel bag (sissy bar type) but wouldn't mind having some smaller additional areas to put small stuff and save the sissy bar travel bag for actual traveling. I suppose a decent answer to why have saddlebags and a box (again, please don't think of a "box" box) instead of just getting larger saddlebags is that it would provide a further bit of uniqueness to the bike. What really gave me the idea initially was seeing the more triangular shaped bags that fit in the same area (if I had a Harley). I forget the actual name of the type bags now. But it stirred the mind to look at that area of the bike and see if I could USE it instead of it just being , well, ... there. By the way, what is a Pelican case?

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
LED license plate frame
Home made lowers (nice)
Luggage rack

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:45 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Shim View Post
Since I'll 99.9% never have another passenger again I'm thinking of removing my rear footpegs and try to fabricate some sort of side storage boxes that uses the current footpeg supports. I have hard mounted saddlebags and am thinking about some designs for a very roughly wedge shaped box (but not pointed of the forward point) that would fit in front of the bags yet still be out of the way of me when I sit. I'm thinking I can find a local sheet metal fabrication shop that can make the bottom metal base that could slip into the existing footpeg support and be secured by, perhaps, a quick release pin for example (so it would not be permanently mounted and in the way of factory side covers). The wooden box would fit on top of their creation and can even be leather covered to match the saddlebags and color scheme of my '06. The wedge shape would be to sorta kinda make it streamlined. It's difficult to describe but my mental image of the finished product is pretty slick.
Regardless of my final design has anyone ever dabbled in using this space for such a thing? For that matter, has anyone used the footpeg supports for anything aside from the footpegs?
If you are so inclined then I say go for it. I do recommend that rather than wood you use fiberglass or another form of plastic which can be drilled and glued together with small metal pins for added support in corners. Wood will probably absorb moisture at some point and not be a problem until you have no time to deal with it. Boat supply houses have sheet product of varying thickness and you maybe able to find it at other suppliers. Good luck.
Thorn likes this.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 09-24-2016 at 06:52 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:44 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Shim View Post
The word "box" tends to bring into the mind's eye some clunky, boxy, all right-angled thing. I might be so inclined to use ammo boxes on a dirt bike perhaps but I've always been completely turned off to the appearance of squared off boxes on street motorcycles, regardless of how practical they may truly be. I already have a nice travel bag (sissy bar type) but wouldn't mind having some smaller additional areas to put small stuff and save the sissy bar travel bag for actual traveling. I suppose a decent answer to why have saddlebags and a box (again, please don't think of a "box" box) instead of just getting larger saddlebags is that it would provide a further bit of uniqueness to the bike. What really gave me the idea initially was seeing the more triangular shaped bags that fit in the same area (if I had a Harley). I forget the actual name of the type bags now. But it stirred the mind to look at that area of the bike and see if I could USE it instead of it just being , well, ... there. By the way, what is a Pelican case?
the word" box" makes me think of something else ."I'd like to wicker box"😛

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I mainly asked the question hoping that someone had some pics of what they'd done. The idea of boat supply house materials is pretty good. I don't know if I'll get around to doing this or not but I do like to imagine stuff. "Wicker box".... my favorite past-time (but that's for a different website). Oh, the name of the bag types that I couldn't think of earlier is swing-arm bags.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
LED license plate frame
Home made lowers (nice)
Luggage rack
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Pelican cases are the brand name of a company that makes lightweight waterproof cases, boxes, and trunks.
Pelican Cases, Backpacks, Coolers, Flashlights - PelicanCases.com

There is another company called "Seahorse" that makes similar products:
Seahorse Cases - Waterproof - Protective - Made in USA

I in fact bought two of their cases, some aluminum bar, and other hardware to install them on my Vulcan. I just never got around to doing it.

My FJR had very nice hard cases, and I installed their factory top case too.
On a day to day basis, I never used the side cases, the top case was just too damn handy. It would hold my helmet, extra gloves, work shoes, etc...

I found them so handy, I installed one on my Bonneville.

They do make them in more rounded not "boxy" shapes. The backrest is a nice addition.

But I can understand wanting to be "different"... just not sure you'll find too many folks that have done what you discribe, most who feel they need more storage just get bigger luggage or add the top case....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 09-24-2016 at 10:18 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 12:45 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I've been thinking about making a set of ears into a storage for registration and small tools

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog