Where can you buy an aftermarket seat? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Where can you buy an aftermarket seat?

Been looking on eBay, but I can't find anything other than used stock seats.

As we all know, the stock seat is awful. My butt gets destroyed after about an hour of riding. I'm planning a 1250 mile trip this summer (possibly closer to 1500 or even more), and there is no way in hell I am taking that trip with the stock seat, hehe.

So either I have to get a good aftermarket seat (I don't care if it's used), or a very comfy touring pillow (that you strap on the stock seat).

Any tips on where to find either of these? If anyone here wants to sell me a used aftermarket seat, that's cool too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 04:55 AM
Tinkerer

Garage
No idea about after-market seats, however I have used an Airhawk cruiser pad/cushion, fantastic buy and stops numb butt/saddle sore

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz73 View Post
No idea about after-market seats, however I have used an Airhawk cruiser pad/cushion, fantastic buy and stops numb butt/saddle sore
Hm, it might be enough. I see there are lots of different ones; which one did you get? I'd like one that fits the seat perfectly.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

How about having your stock seat redone with better foam and possibly a built in gel pad. I believe some have done that with success. You can keep the stock look but be much more comfortable. I myself have the Mustang replacement seat and have not had a problem ever. Corbin is another seat replacement manufacturer. Check both those names on line. There never was a whole lot of after market parts available for this model and even less now that production has ended for some time now. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Mod

Depends on your butt size. Narrow butt, air hawk or refoam. Larger butt, go with a vn 900 seat or similar width. Especially for long trips.

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
How about having your stock seat redone with better foam and possibly a built in gel pad. I believe some have done that with success. You can keep the stock look but be much more comfortable. I myself have the Mustang replacement seat and have not had a problem ever. Corbin is another seat replacement manufacturer. Check both those names on line. There never was a whole lot of after market parts available for this model and even less now that production has ended for some time now. Good luck.
Lowest model year on the Mustang home page is '95. Tried 5-6 different model years above that and only found seats for the Vulcan 800 and up :/

Couldn't find anything for the 750 on the Corbin home page either.

Neither eBay nor Amazon has any Corbin or Mustang seat listings that I could find

Some guy I met yesterday recommended I had the stock seat redone too (he builds / repairs motorcycles) and does it himself all the time. I have zero experience doing anything like that though, so I'm afraid I would mess up the seat. They're quite expensive even used (with shipping and customs), so I guess I'll probably just buy a cruiser pad to start with and see if that will suffice.

My bikes:
2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Tourer
2002 Suzuki DR-Z400S
1999 Yamaha Dragstar 1100

Last edited by Python; 05-30-2016 at 08:48 AM. Reason: More searching..
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:49 AM

Garage
Saddleman still makes a seat. They're pretty comfortable. Mustang will not make them anymore but they still show up used every now & then. I just saw one on ebay last week and I think it sold for just under $300.
I did a write up on all 3 if you look in my profile.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 10:16 AM

Some of us have swapped in a seat from a VN900 with good results.
Search for 900 seat and there are a couple write ups on how we have each done it
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 View Post
Depends on your butt size. Narrow butt, air hawk or refoam. Larger butt, go with a vn 900 seat or similar width. Especially for long trips.
I'm skinny; 145 lbs approx, 5"11'. Maybe an air hawk would be adequate then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Saddleman still makes a seat. They're pretty comfortable. Mustang will not make them anymore but they still show up used every now & then. I just saw one on ebay last week and I think it sold for just under $300.
I did a write up on all 3 if you look in my profile.
Man, I would be ALL over that listing if I could get one for 300 bucks.. I'll check out Saddleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyman View Post
Some of us have swapped in a seat from a VN900 with good results.
Search for 900 seat and there are a couple write ups on how we have each done it
Hm, I'm pretty lazy so having to modify a seat is probably out of the question, haha. I'll keep it in mind though.

My bikes:
2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Tourer
2002 Suzuki DR-Z400S
1999 Yamaha Dragstar 1100
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:11 PM

I bought an Airhawk R - it made a pretty good difference for me. I haven't tried it for 1500 miles yet but it did help.
Python likes this.

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement