Handle bars and Highway pegs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Handle bars and Highway pegs

Ok so I've read many......... Many, many, many threads on handlebars and I've seen different opinions and advice from different people. Is there a difinitive answer to how high you can go without changing any hoses, cables or wires. I've read that you can go as high as 12" apes without any mods save for some cable re-routing....... I've also read that if you go to 12" you need a new upper brake hose. Does anyone have any experience with this?????
I'm a big guy and could do with a slightly higher arm position........ An extra 4 inches on top of the stock mini apes would be ideal.

Also, I've read some old posts that members on the forum make and sell highway pegs that mount on to the frame. I can't find any engine guards online and sometimes I need a little stretch while riding. I have no access to the tools or materials I'd need to fabricate my own. Are any of these members still active and selling their highway pegs????

Cheers guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnylizzy View Post
Is there a difinitive answer to how high you can go without changing any hoses, cables or wires.

Cheers guys.
Just curious but have you tried just turning them forward a bit? That would loosen up your wires/cables, increase your reach, and save you buying/installing new ones.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:54 AM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Personally, I don't know if the folks are still selling their pegs. I just made a set for my bike based on the design that Knifemaker has. I don't have access to a CNC machine to make the one-piece types that some used to (still?) make. I have a bench grinder, several hand files, a vise, a drill press, and a roto-tool with lots of good cutting pads. Those I used a lot. Other than those, I didn't need anything else. Oh yes, a garage to work in, I suppose. I spent a bit over $100 for the parts and some of those I actually got too much of. My intention when I cut the length of the bars initially was to make them long, see where that would put my feet, and then drill and cut them down until I found a comfortable fit for my feet/legs. It turned out that what I thought would be too long was just where I wanted it anyway. So my footbar is several inches higher and a few inches forward than his. Its actually just about as far forward as you'd want to place it before running into front wheel issues. Your not having access to tools puts the kibosh on making them, though.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

yes you need a longer top brake hose. throttle cable and choke cable you can reroute. i ordered a longer clutch cable when i got my 14 inch bars because mine was broken. motion pro did mine and i had it in a week

85 700
V&H Cruzers
coastered&shaved
uni filters
coil mod
KC's led turn signal boards
clear alternatives led tail light
Wolfies forward controls
vn900 seat
AGM Battery
Iridium plugs
willie and max bags
plexifairing 3
14 inch apes

97 75
parts bike for now

He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

Last edited by goofin; 04-21-2016 at 01:52 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:25 PM

Engine guard

I have an engine guard for $125.00 if you are interested. I can send pictures PM me.

Mcneuby
thtanner likes this.

New to me 2004 15k Last liscened in 2011. Stock as they come.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the reies. I'll take all your posts into consideration....... With regards the engine guard. I live in Ireland so it'd probably be another $125 with shipping and import charges. Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers guys.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 PM

I'm 6' 6 inches and found the room I needed out of the handle bars by turning them forward as suggested. It makes putting a windshield on a little weird, but I'm too tall for any windshield anyway.

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
My first ride- June 2013 @ 22k miles
Stator replaced 27k

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"- Mark Twain.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Yeah so I pushed the bars forward and hey presto..... Loads of room....... I might even need to pull them back in a little. Isn't it amazing what can happen when you use a little sense!!!! Cheers guys.
RoadHopper likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 06:34 AM
Tinkerer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnylizzy View Post
Thanks all for the reies. I'll take all your posts into consideration....... With regards the engine guard. I live in Ireland so it'd probably be another $125 with shipping and import charges. Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers guys.
hello buddy, I live in Belfast... Good to see another Vulcan rider this side of the pond

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Ah good stuff........ I know there are a few of us on this island but I haven't seen any yet...... I get excited when I see a what I think is a Vulcan 750 coming towards me I my to realise it's an Ltd454 or an En500........ Hahahahaha. Rare bikes over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement