Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
4 Black bolt covers

This is probably stock, but how would i actually know?

Replacing my handle bars today... back to stock handlebars. Simple easy question if the nuts on mine are stock ( 1987 California ). They are sealed with some sort of black cap that is seriously embedded into the holder housing. They are flush, actually a tiny hair less than flush with the face of the holding house. In anycase, is there a trick to getting these caps off without messing them up?

Or ( due to fuku frying my various glands ) am i approaching this upside-down like usual even though i can't find any sort of "other side" to these bolts? If so, then is there a procedure to turn the bike upside down without spilling any fluids? I mean... erm.. yeah, while it's in place, rather than while riding it... i know how to do it while riding it... that's a cinch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160409_125334.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	29866  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 04:09 PM

Garage
They're just plastic inserts. A small flathead screwdriver can remove them.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj View Post
They're just plastic inserts. A small flathead screwdriver can remove them.
Thanks Caleb. Rather safe than sorry ( says the lane-splitter ).

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Commander

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHopper View Post
Thanks Caleb. Rather safe than sorry ( says the lane-splitter ).
Hey, lane-splitting is safer than getting rear-ended in traffic. Lots of research out there about it, actually.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

\\//_ Live long and prosper
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 04:54 PM

Garage
Lots of research on both sides. That's why after all these years there's still one state allowing it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 05:40 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj View Post
Lots of research on both sides. That's why after all these years there's still one state allowing it.
The research really has nothing to do with 'why only one state allows it', it's just not something that's on the forefront of lawmakers minds. Not enough money coming from our industry into their respective pockets, if you get my drift. Not to mention non-riders generally have a bias against riders, and most lawmakers fall into that category.

It's kind of funny; the most 'liberal' state that has all a bunch of anti-emissions laws is the one that allows it.

Most of Europe allows it as well.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
The research really has nothing to do with 'why only one state allows it', it's just not something that's on the forefront of lawmakers minds. Not enough money coming from our industry into their respective pockets, if you get my drift. Not to mention non-riders generally have a bias against riders, and most lawmakers fall into that category.

It's kind of funny; the most 'liberal' state that has all a bunch of anti-emissions laws is the one that allows it.

I've had license in quite a few states over the years. California is the very first and only state Driver's and Motorcycle handbooks for the DMV licensing exam that couldn't give a rat's ass about "make sure you follow every single little rule and memorize the weight of a truck axle traveling south in the winter" BUT DOES have things like turning left into whatever damned lane you like ( unless two left turn lanes ), serious guidelines to keep a person SAFE. Because i recently had to take the tests, i bothered to read it. I WAS SIMPLY AMAZED. It is really that different. Like, "it's about damned time somebody figured that out". It was different enough that had i skipped it and just figured it was like everywhere else, i am pretty sure i would have failed.

In other news... in central L.A. today, a man was seen carrying off a pair of old handlebars up a flight of stairs. If you see this suspicious creep, call the L.A. hotline at...

yups... Got those replaced, got the front end un-tweaked ( again ) but did it different this time, replaced the brake/speedo guide on the front left fork ( new replace, old was broke off ), re-routed the stop-switch to under that little loop where it belongs up by the radiator cap, and will be testing that as well... it was turning off on a hard right turn, like when backing up... in any case, this old man done for the day since it's raining in California up here and yeah, i'm stupid, dangerous, and don't read books while i ride, BUT i am not a total idiot at 4:35pm up here where it would be ALL lane splitting just to get halfway around the block.

oh, and i remembered to put the 4 little covers back on too. Just to keep on topic.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post

Seeing that most most motorcyclists are conservative (just kidding have no proof)maybe both Europe and California hope that lane splitting kills us all off(this is meant to be taken as a parody as I can count how many times I have been serious on my middle finger)

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Seeing that most most motorcyclists are conservative (just kidding have no proof)maybe both Europe and California hope that lane splitting kills us all off(this is meant to be taken as a parody as I can count how many times I have been serious on my middle finger)
if and when i can ever afford a cheap camera for my helmet, gonna take a ride to venice and back starting at 3pm, short twenty mile round trip, should take about 3 hours even with lane splitting and no, that's only the sort that is between rows of stopped cars and dodging the cars that lane split, u-turn from right lanes, and cut across the "keep clear" areas from either side just far enough to see ( hopefully ) a pedestrian blocking their attempt; nothing serious like passing in a 35/40 since during that trip my average speed of 7mph will definitely be faster than all of the cars. See, i DO watch the vids on youtube and i have yet to see ANYthing close to traffic reality here in L.A. except maybe one of those Chinese vids with 600 sino-vespas in one of those plaza shaped intersections that resemble a flock of moths around a lamp at night. At least they are smart enough to know it's the caged people that are truly whacko. After you watch it, then you can at least arm-chair qualify for comment. Keep in mind, i grew up in the "strict" states for the most parts. When your IN it, it's like "wtf?" makes absolutely no sense not to do it.

Just remember though if you come over for a beer sometime, before you try it... use your rear-view mirror too, because it is likely you'll have one or two other bikers behind you that are passing in the "line lane" since you failed to use it yourself, and around here, skate-boarders do it too, so remember they have the "ultimate" right of way.

If we're lucky and pick the right day, we'll see some bikini clad skateboarder's lane splitting and racing bicycles across the Venice circle intersections. Loads of fun that... seriously. In that part of town, they don't even pay attention to street lights and it's all downhill from Pacific blvd to the beach. All the cars are putt-putting along showing off their rides trying to avoid parking for $25 per hour anyways. Oh, and the cops? They'll be on the beach. Serious as a heart beat. They're the only ones allowed to drive/ride on it. LOL go figure that. Oh, and i forgot about . . . the horses . . .

ridiculous video should cover those...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:49 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
You know how Austin stands out in Texas as a bit.. special? Venice Beach is our Austin.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat