Highway peg installation question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Highway peg installation question

Ok, it will be later this summer when I get around to fabricating and installing highway pegs. The style Knifemaker has seems pretty straightforward to make. That being said I am wondering about the motor shifting when I pull out one side's worth of bolts for the peg brace. Those two bolts attach to the motor mounts so will I need to brace the motor from shifting? Has this been anyone's experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
No. It won't shift. Do one side at a time. There are several different places on the frame holding the motor in....

I think I did get some longer bolts, but otherwise was pretty plug and play.

If you look at the photo here:
https://flic.kr/p/3gK2fw

You can see how I put one of the black brackets behind the aluminum piece, this compensates for the top bolt being 3/16" farther in (because of the frame narrowing towards the steering head)

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-02-2016 at 04:36 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Thanks for the info.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Bummer. Apparently it does shift after all. I took out the two, kick-stand-side bolts to measure the distance I needed to drill holes in the aluminum, now the bottom bolt won't go back in. I was essentially sizing up rough bar lengths, drilling holes in them, grinding/filing down rough edges and so forth. I still need to get the exhaust gasket before going into all-out installation mode (I doubt I'll get the chance to acquire one this weekend) so I decided to prep what I could get out of the way tonight. Tomorrow I'll have to figure out how to get the bolt back in.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Sorry... I can only give my experience with mine, and the motor didn't move when I removed one sides boots. May just be do to the fact it was a fairly new bike and still "tight"?
Others have removed these bolts to install Chads peg mounts and have not reported a problem though.

A piece of wood between the lower frame used as a lever should help realign the bolt hole. Use a flashlight to check the hole...You do have to get both bolts started before tightening them down.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Today I'm still cutting, grinding, and drilling the various bars. My available time today is shortened due to me having to go pull babysitting duties with my older two granddaughters while my son and his wife get out for some "them" time. I am having difficulty finding the cap nuts for the 1/2" bar. Home Depot and another joint I go to doesn't carry them apparently. But that won't stop the project. It'll be two weeks before I can truly finish since I can only do it on weekends. The wife has directed me to pull out the table saw next weekend and construct some shelves for the laundry room. Gotta make momma happy first. There is a priority in nature. It's kinda funny that you referred to it as a fairly new bike. Even being 10 years old it sorta is a fairly new bike. It still has the original tires, coolant, brake fluid, spark plugs, and is under 11,000 miles. Aside from a spline lube and oil changes its been maintenance-free. We bought it new with cash the wife made playing Bingo so there really isn't but a couple of grand of my own money into it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

check out the local 'real' hardware store for the cap nuts.. like a true value or similar.

my neighborhood true value hardware has an entire aisle (probably 30 feet, both sides of aisle) dedicated to the odd ball and loose fasteners..

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
That's where I'll go next for sure to look. I think tomorrow I'll go ahead and pull the right side exhaust so I can test-position the get-up and see where the foot bar is, spatially, based at the lengths of bars that I've started with. I intentionally made them a bit long because it is always easier to cut them shorter than to add on. Duh. If it's comfortable where it is, then cool. But I think it'll be a couple of inches too far forward. This will simply take some semi-labor intensive time to figure out the most comfortable position for me. And while I am experimenting with that, I'll order the exhaust gasket. Actually the most difficult part for me isn't the physical fabricating and such, its finding time to do it. Watching the grandbabies is time consuming.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Shim View Post
Today I'm still cutting, grinding, and drilling the various bars. My available time today is shortened due to me having to go pull babysitting duties with my older two granddaughters while my son and his wife get out for some "them" time. I am having difficulty finding the cap nuts for the 1/2" bar. Home Depot and another joint I go to doesn't carry them apparently. But that won't stop the project. It'll be two weeks before I can truly finish since I can only do it on weekends. The wife has directed me to pull out the table saw next weekend and construct some shelves for the laundry room. Gotta make momma happy first. There is a priority in nature. It's kinda funny that you referred to it as a fairly new bike. Even being 10 years old it sorta is a fairly new bike. It still has the original tires, coolant, brake fluid, spark plugs, and is under 11,000 miles. Aside from a spline lube and oil changes its been maintenance-free. We bought it new with cash the wife made playing Bingo so there really isn't but a couple of grand of my own money into it.

WTG !

VN750's production ran for 20 years.....xtra long for a MC.........
Considerations, lack of new aftermarket parts available.....does not make $dollar$ sense.
Yeah, years take their toll.........wanna sell that Jewell ?
LOL

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 04-16-2016 at 09:25 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Nope. I have no thoughts on selling. In fact, since reading the thread on Rolling Thunder in DC, I've been thinking of going a few years from now on this bike. It's been good to me and I'd LOVE to take it on a long distance ride. I've even looked at a road atlas to see possible routes to take. Sure, it's not the best platform for such a thing but it'll work. The highway pegs would be nice for such a trip. Now if I only had a 5 gallon gas tank............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement