Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Mod

Schuberth C3 evaluation

Just purchased the Schuberth C3 high visibility modular helmet. I've been following this model for sometime, and once the price dropped significantly, I jumped. What sold me was the noise reduction. 84 dB at 60 mph. I have a Nolan N44 that I love but the noise is crazy. Ear plugs fix the problem, but often I forget to put them in. Now I haven't road with it yet, but I thought I'd post since they are on sale now and they may all be gone by riding season. Normally I spend $200 to $300 per helmet. Not the most expensive, but comfortable. Never bought one that cost nearly $800.
Helmet arrived on time and packaged very well. Comes with pin lock and a very well thought out directions booklet. The cover is very well made, also. Upon opening the box, I noticed this helmet is very well made, also. Fit and finish is excellent. The retention system is the same as the Nolan but with a quick release tab. Took time to get used to it, but very much like the system. Can be used when wearing gloves. Put the helmet on and was met by a very snug fit. You know this helmet is on your head. complete fit around the entire head. Not used to that feeling, but after a while, it loosened up. I actually thought of sending it back, but now it fits great. To make it quiet, they increased the neck role coverage. Sound, evidently comes from underneath, so closing off the neck area, you decrease sound.
Schuberth was the first to invent the sun shield and the modular helmet, so it's no surprise the sun shield is the best I've ever used. Smooth operation and full coverage. Got a big head, 3xl, so not many helmets fit this noggin. And eye coverage is always a problem. Actually have to adjust the helmet to cover all the way down to the nose. Not here. And there are no notches, it's just a smooth movement and you can stop anywhere and it remains in place. The mechanism to operate this is located on the lower left side, again, similar to the Nolan. This was a problem attaching a sena Bluetooth system. I used the sena smh10r which sticks to the side. Works great, but the distance is less then the original system. I can actually attach the smh 10 system to this helmet which makes it easier and cheaper. Don't have to buy a new one,,
The face shield has large protrusions on either side to raise it. very easy again with gloves. It also has 5 detents. Much more then any other helmet I've owned. Very heavy duty as well.
The vents look well thought out. The front vent vents to the shield, similar to the Nolan. Never had a fog problem, but the pin lock should take care of that. The top vent is very large and is suppose to cool down in the most temperate conditions. More to come.
I love the color. Hunter Orange. It literally yells LOOK AT ME!. They say the yellow is brighter, but this puppy is loud. Should be seen without any problem. Over all, very happy with this product. It has exceeded all my expectation's and the unreal price of $325 for a nearly $800 helmet caused me to click that button. Looking forward to riding with this helmet due to everything stated as well as this is one of the lightest helmets out there and aero dynamic as well. Sena designed a totally internal Blu tooth system that comes with a remote that attaches to the handle bars. No external attachments. Look it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Thanks. Nice report. Highly praised helmets, glad you got one at a good price.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Mod

Wanted to update this. Rode with the helmet last week for the first time. Didn't use ear plugs because I wanted to hear the noise reduction. Drove on the highway for the noisiest ride. Interestingly I had just replaced the exhaust with a bit louder one. The noise was very acceptable at speed and little or no buffeting. I added a sena smh10 so that would add some wind resistance. The helmet was very comfortable and the two air vents added a lot of air to the inside as it was a warm day. I did crack the front shield to allow more air and calm my claustrophobia. On the way to a buddy's house , I had forgotten to add the new sticker on the license plate, so ran home and decided to change helmets. Put on my trusty Nolan N44 and added ear plugs. I noticed right away that the noise was louder with the Nolan and ear plugs verses the Schuberth without plugs. Didn't realize how noisy the Nolan was.
All in all am very happy with the Schuberth and so far the only negative I noticed is it can be a bit warm on a hot day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement