Vetter Fairng - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Vetter Fairng

I have been considering adding a Vetter Windjamer to one of my bikes and since I know a few out there have done this I thought I would ask for their opinion regarding them. The one I am considering has the lowers (i don't know how they will work since I still have the original ears). But it is in really good shape.

It is from a older Gold Wing. Fabrication of mounts is not an issue.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Kawasaki actually made a fairing that looked similar to the old style Windjammer specifically for the Vulcan 750. It was a part of their "Tour Pak" that was less than a resounding success. It was designed to clear the "ears" I believe it had optional lowers. The actual Goldwing fairings were ABS plastic, and tended to crack everywhere. I had an '85 1200. I don't know what the Vetter fairings were made out of, but I heard they were quite a bit lighter than the oem Goldwing fairing.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Vetter fairings were fiberglass...at least all the ones I saw are. There's a guy out here with one on a 1990ish Honda four (think it's a 750?) but the fairing was off a 1975 something I think. He said it was about twenty years older than the bike, so not absolutely sure on dates.

It was in excellent shape, no cracks, and no scratches. It of course had a newer made windscreen. And he remade the snap on pocket covers out of leather. Very nice.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:57 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
The oem goldwing faring is a Vetter

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

The guy selling it has pictures of it on a Goldwing but going by the paint it is not original. It has the locking "glove box" and even a locking back pack but my concern is the lowers. I want the extra wind protection on my legs. but don't really want to mess with modifying them to work around the pods. All of the Vetter Windjammers I have ever seen from the period of time this one comes from were fiberglass and I am certain this is also. If I had not already spent the $ on K&K filters for the pods I would go ahead and do the ear shave and it would not matter. (If my new Rick's stator doesn't last I am going to do a lot of changes the next time I drop the motor out for a new stator then it wouldn't matter either)
The Windjammer actually directs the wind down and without the lowers I would probably be better off with a bat wing design. Even though the winters here in northern CA are mild we still have cold and rainy days. Cold and wet hands and legs suck.
If it is still for sale next week maybe I will go and check it out. It is only about an hour away but I can't really carry it back on my bike if I but it so I will need to take a lot of measurements.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 PM

Honda never used Vetter parts. When Honda came out with the 1980 Goldwing Interstate, they made all their own stuff. I remember a Vetter ad in a magazine claiming how much heavier a Goldwing fairing was than the Windjammer. Other manufacturers, including Kawasaki did use Vetter luggage, color matched to the bike, at least for awhile. Fiberglass is far superior to ABS. Fiberglass can be repaired. ABS can't. At least nobody on any of the GW forums I used to belong to had found a way. ABS tends to break out around bolt holes. I had to drill new holes and make brackets to relocate the mounting location.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Garage
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:27 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Honda never used Vetter parts. When Honda came out with the 1980 Goldwing Interstate, they made all their own stuff. I remember a Vetter ad in a magazine claiming how much heavier a Goldwing fairing was than the Windjammer. Other manufacturers, including Kawasaki did use Vetter luggage, color matched to the bike, at least for awhile. Fiberglass is far superior to ABS. Fiberglass can be repaired. ABS can't. At least nobody on any of the GW forums I used to belong to had found a way. ABS tends to break out around bolt holes. I had to drill new holes and make brackets to relocate the mounting location.
Well I have an original that came off a 77 Goldwing,and hmmmm, guess who made it?hmmmm,could it be Vetter?and you can melt abs with acetone,making a paste to fix cracks,and melt the abs around the crack too,filling it like Bondo,and it will dry.crotch rocket guys do it all the time.I learned it on katriders.com (a katana forum)

sportster seat

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 11-09-2015 at 11:39 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Read this article years ago.it's common on Goldwing forums,at least for the older ones.I'm surprised a member of one wouldn't have seen this article.

sportster seat

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:04 AM

I never saw or heard of that article before. I know that many (probably more than half) of all Goldwings were equipped with aftermarket fairings (mostly Windjammers) before Honda came up with their own fairing. But so were many other large Japanese bikes of the day. I was unaware of any collaboration between Craig Vetter and Honda, but do remember a magazine ad where Vetter put down Honda's fairing for being too heavy. I also remember the guy that owned a local gas station had a new KZ1000 with a Vetter fairing and bags.

I got this from Wikipedia:

The Kz1000 came optional with a Windjammer brand fairing, saddle bags, a sissy bar and highway bars - all of which were removable without any interference with performance or function. The fairing and saddle bags were molded fiber-glass resin made by Vetter, while the sissy bar and highway bar were chrome plated to accentuate the look. Highway bars were also used for comfort on long trips that didn't require constant shifting or braking and usually held additional lighting, in combination with the single 7-inch (178 mm) halogen head lamp.

I don't know if the Vetter equipment was from the factory or a dealer installed option. I do remember everything was color matched.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 11-10-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement