Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile Aftermarket Handlebars

Hello all

It's been a few weeks or so yet after all that work degoating, eat shaving and exhaust mods I had to go and enjoy1500 miles of riding.

The bike got bumped at the local hardware store and bent the handlebars as well as broke the clutch lever. He instantly ordered a new clutch lever and am now researching handlebar options. I like the originals yet would like a more edgy look. I'm hoping to have enough room for some speakers.

Anyone have personal experience with aftermarket bars vs original? I am looking for someone who went with a similar Sharon style. My shoulder is more comfy with it that shape.

Thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:10 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoco View Post
Hello all

It's been a few weeks or so yet after all that work degoating, eat shaving and exhaust mods I had to go and enjoy1500 miles of riding.

The bike got bumped at the local hardware store and bent the handlebars as well as broke the clutch lever. He instantly ordered a new clutch lever and am now researching handlebar options. I like the originals yet would like a more edgy look. I'm hoping to have enough room for some speakers.

Anyone have personal experience with aftermarket bars vs original? I am looking for someone who went with a similar Sharon style. My shoulder is more comfy with it that shape.

Thank you guys!
Adding speakers would be great but what will power them? Be sure to read up on the remaining limited electrical power before you get your head set on a sound system or such. There just may be some additional modifications needed to get to what you really want.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Vulcan2000! I'm just looking for something to plug my phone into to play. No radio or cds.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Doesn't matter if it's your phone, a radio, MP3 player or even a CD player...they use little power....it's the amplifier for the speakers to listen to them that uses the power. Louder you play it the more power you are using.

I solved this by wearing headphones (noise canceling ear buds) ...But having external speakers you can hear over motor and wind noise at speed will use more power...especially if you don't have a windscreen or fairing.

As for handlebars, you can pretty much mount any shape you like as long as they don't hit the tank when turned full left or right. Taller bars may need longer cables...shorter ones usually just require re-routing the stock ones.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Doesn't matter if it's your phone, a radio, MP3 player or even a CD player...they use little power....it's the amplifier for the speakers to listen to them that uses the power. Louder you play it the more power you are using.

I solved this by wearing headphones (noise canceling ear buds) ...But having external speakers you can hear over motor and wind noise at speed will use more power...especially if you don't have a windscreen or fairing.

As for handlebars, you can pretty much mount any shape you like as long as they don't hit the tank when turned full left or right. Taller bars may need longer cables...shorter ones usually just require re-routing the stock ones.
I didn't say what will use up the most power but only mentioned that he needed to look into the situation more before getting all set on anything particular.

With the "noise cancelling ear buds", is there a problem that they will cancel out noise such as sirens or locked up tires coming up from the rear? I myself wish I could find a system that I was comfortable with and stayed away from the ear buds for just that reason. Not sure what the answer is right now.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
4507 miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I can hear sirens, car horns, and the motor running. The advantage of "noise canceling" earbuds is they lower the decibel limit of constant noise ...which in the bike is mostly wind noise. By doing this, you don't have to turn up the volume of your music to overcome that noise, so the total decibels hitting your ears is actually less than just blasting some in helmet speakers.

I usually turn the music off on short trips or when in heavy traffic. But if going on a long trip on the highway or a long cruise on an empty country road, I always either wear ear plugs to cut outside noise or wear the tiny earbuds to listen to some music.

As I've already suffered some hearing loss for failing to do this for most of the years I've rode a bike.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Hello all

Thank you guys!

What is a Sharon Style handlebar? I've searched a little (briefly) but haven't found what that is

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusjma View Post
What is a Sharon Style handlebar? I've searched a little (briefly) but haven't found what that is
I believe it is a side dish that you have with when you "eat shaving and exhaust mods" before a long ride.

Quote:
.....eat shaving and exhaust mods I had to go and enjoy1500 miles of riding......
I just could not resist as this forum was starting to get too serious once again. lol

Tom
Vulcan 2000
4507 miles
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:19 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I remember someone saying this site has changed and basically being told it was in his headso I guess I'm spilling over into your head too

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
I believe it is a side dish that you have with when you "eat shaving and exhaust mods" before a long ride.
HA!

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement