Home-grown/fabricated front and rear crash bars? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Home-grown/fabricated front and rear crash bars?

I was sitting there looking at the bike a few days back and the thought crossed my mind about possibly adding crash bars. While front ones "can" be found online, there seems to be slim pickings for this particular species of bike. Without doubt this web site is the absolute best place in the world for information and the span of fabrication talent and imagination amongst the troops here is fantastic. So, I was wondering what decent-looking home-made attempts people have made in regards to this subject, not just for the front but for the rear, too. It's time to pick people's brains again............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I know some on here have made their own for the front, but I have yet to see someone make their own for the rear. Hmm...interesting.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Well, I know the rear guard for the Triumph Thunderbird takes some interesting twists and turns. I haven't been able to find any posts on some industrious individual's possible attempt to make a rear one for our ride. (I saw a strange video on you-tube of a 750, overseas somewhere, that actually had TWO front crash bars. Looked wrong.) Seems kinda strange that someone somewhere with metal working skills hasn't tried to fabricate something for the rear.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Crash bars on the rear? What are you trying to protect?

There is a company that makes "crash bars" for the rear of bikes, but it's for bikes with factory hard cases in back (like the FJR)

Many of the duel sport or "Adventure" bikes like the V-Strom have all incompessing crash bars available.

Most who own a cruiser type bike do so for its looks, and wrapping one up in a metal tubing like a roll cage wouldn't sell too well. Like training wheels....

My highway bar was there just for the forward pegs....but could be seen as a "Tip Over Guard"....(as it would likely collapse if dumped at speed)
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifem...7602277630067/

Again the question is what are you trying to protect? It's been shown "crash bars" rarely protect the rider, and in some cases make the injuries more severe...and sometimes actually increase the damage to a bike in an accident.

They are nice for putting on extra lights, pegs, horns, etc...but I don't see the advantage of having rear bars if you don't have expensive luggage.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Crash bars on the rear? What are you trying to protect?

There is a company that makes "crash bars" for the rear of bikes, but it's for bikes with factory hard cases in back (like the FJR)

Many of the duel sport or "Adventure" bikes like the V-Strom have all incompessing crash bars available.

Most who own a cruiser type bike do so for its looks, and wrapping one up in a metal tubing like a roll cage wouldn't sell too well. Like training wheels....

My highway bar was there just for the forward pegs....but could be seen as a "Tip Over Guard"....(as it would likely collapse if dumped at speed)
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifem...7602277630067/

Again the question is what are you trying to protect? It's been shown "crash bars" rarely protect the rider, and in some cases make the injuries more severe...and sometimes actually increase the damage to a bike in an accident.

They are nice for putting on extra lights, pegs, horns, etc...but I don't see the advantage of having rear bars if you don't have expensive luggage.
I think you answered your own question.....

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
The phrase "crash bars" does tend to imply serious protection when I think they'd only truly help, if then, for a slow-to-no-speed tip over. Be that as it may I'd want them (rear) for two reasons. One is to protect the bags, yes. Exactly how much any bike's bar system truly protects can be debated but at least, I suppose, it's something there for some degree of peace of mind. The other reason that I personally would like it is the "bigger bike" look. Think mini-Nomad. As for the front bar, that video that I mentioned where the bike had two front bars (I would not want that), one was lower connected at the lower engine mount which is, what, six inches or so above the stock foot pedal. The upper connecting point was the forward fuel tank bolt. This would make it more vertical in appearance when viewed from the side than connecting it somehow to the frame which looks like about a 15-ish degree front rake. Darned if I know if this would be decently secure or not but that's where it was on that particular setup. I don't think it would have interfered with the "standard" highway peg setups some people have conjured up, either, which is nice since putting the bar here would place it too close to the rider for highway peg attachment. Of course, any fabricated setup would have to pass the test of both visual appeal/appearance and providing some real degree of functionality. So as in any other modification we do beauty is simply in the eye of the owner. I wish I had the ability to work metal and the access to facilities to do so.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I suppose one difficulty in blessing the concept of a rear bar is that each one of us would be visualizing this differently. The front bar could be thought of as more of a "standardized" look, if that word can be used. The rear bar visualization however would be wide open to interpretation since there are a bazillion different bag setups so everyone's mind's-eye image would naturally be affected by their own physical arrangement. Would it look nice or gaudy? A rear bar setup would have to be more of a targeted design for whatever style/size/shape bags you have. Still..... it's a thought.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, as there isn't much lower frame on the Vulcan other than where the passenger peg is, I can only see having something that bolts right there, then comes out behind the peg...sticking out just beyond the width of the bag and then running up right in front of it.

You'd have to run a length of metal from the upper shock mount towards the front of the bike clearing the front of the bag and end the loop of your bar there.
And keeping tight to the front of the bag so it doesn't interfere with the passengers legs. Something like this:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/sa...DQw&kpid=75896

You'd need a tubing bender and someone that can weld, but it can be done.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-27-2015 at 05:17 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:56 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

The rear crash bars primary job on the Harleys is to protect the hard bags.
Secondly they keep the bike from falling over so far that a rider by him/her self cannot lift the 700 to 950 pound bike back up onto the wheels using the little trick where you brace your butt against the seat and push it up with your legs, not try to lift it with your arms.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement