Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Viking Saddlebags - Some questions

6K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Chris and Shim 
#1 ·
I have been looking for some storage solutions on my new-to-me 750. Having no previous knowledge about saddlebags before this weekend I have had to play the catch-up game. My brain is hurting from the sudden influx.

So, I had a couple questions about the Viking brand saddle bags. They seem to be the best option for me because of where they line up on the price vs. quality spectrum. I also like that they are rated very well for water resistance(and seem to receive good reviews to support that too). My question is how do they stay water tight with four large holes drilled in the back of them? I get that two will accept a mounting bolt, but two will not. And why do some bags have the four pre-fab'd holes and some models do not? It doesn't look like there is a method to why they would produce mounting holes in one model and not the other. I don't know, maybe I'm just thinking about it too hard.

Also, when I look at the rear fender, the passenger backrest support seems to be right where you would want to place the stirrup for throw-over mounting. I would prefer that, as opposed to bolting to the supports, but it looks like it may not be easy to route the crossover stirrup level. I don't want wonky bags. Nope.

I just put on an OEM saddlebag support kit this afternoon that I snagged off eBay so I'm really trying to figure out what is going to work out the best.

I am pretty sure there was at least one good question in there. Feel free to answer as many or as few as you like. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm assuming that all viking bags are the same. I bought some for my Stryker, but I had some el cheapos from LeatherUp.com on my Vulcan. My bags are the warrior universal bags and can be throw-over or hard mounted.

The four holes are for positioning the bags front or back more depending on how you want them. There are bolts on the parts that connect for using the bags as throw-overs and they go in two of those holes. The other two holes have a plastic plug in them. In my case, viking sent 4 plastic plugs for each bag so you can plug all of the holes when hard mountings and still keep the bags water resistant.

As far as where the bag falls across the rear fender...on my vulcan I had modified my seat and added a backrest from a honda 1100. The strap for the bags did fall a little bit across where the stock backrest support would have been. I also had to relocate my turn signals because they would have been in the way too.

I didn't use bag supports on my vulcan. I just had them resting on the shocks and tied down as best I could to keep them from moving.

#3 ·
I don't have Vikings, but also placed the throw-over strap partially up on to the grab rail/back support. Turned out to be a nice fit, with the strap forming a gentle curve versus kinking up. The strap is also under the seat.

I used supports and no bolts, since the bags have four D-rings for tiedown. Two ties in front to the frame, two in back tied to a bracket on the license plate, which also is a mount for aftermarket turn signals. The ties have Quicklinks on the ends for easy removal, the bags are zip off design, so I don't have to remove the saddle strap.

I made sure to mount them high enough to clear the mufflers, with a little extra in case the saddle stretches. been good so far, but I haven't put much weight in them yet.

Not the best pic, but you can see some of the saddle strap against the backrest:

#4 ·
I had a set on my old 750 and liked them pretty well. Check out the slanted Chargers with the shock cut out on the back if you want them to fit tight to your bike. Ol Dog had a set of those on his sportster and they looked pretty good!

#6 ·
Thank you, guys, for the comments.

Deviate, that makes a lot more sense when you explained things. Thank you.

I have the supports on now, so I'm looking at the universal bags w/out the shock indentation.

I think if I go with them, which is likely, that I will get the sling-over kit and try that. If I hate it I can just bolt them onto the supports.

Thanks, all.

#7 ·
You'll be much more happy with the hard mount, in my opinion. The throw overs can sag and tilt. Though they are easier to remove.

#10 ·
I just got some Viking bags delivered today. The turn signal relocation kit hasn't arrived yet but since I have no time to play with it anyway for the next week, it's no big deal. I haven't any personal experience installing bags so this will be a first for me. I plan to hard-mount them. We've had a recent death in the extended family which will result in my time being spent in other activities for the next "X" amount of time so I've got a bit before I need to squat down, scratch my head, and figure out how to attach the support brackets.

#11 ·
Bought bags that were too large even for the relocators. Found a blinker license plate combo from a vn 900. Easy to wire in.

#13 ·
How about making your third posting under the Newbie Check-In heading and tell us a little bit about yourself such as your location, riding/wrenching experience and your actual present ride(s). Thanks. We just like to know a little bit about the members that are offering advice and added information here. Appreciate your time and efforts.

#15 ·
Hey Andrew, I had a friend in school named Gilbert that had a younger brother Andrew, Where are you from?

#17 ·
I need a set but I'm holding out until another 30% code comes up ;)

#20 ·
OK, I finished putting on my Viking bags and relocating the turn signals. All in all it was quite an experience in modifying things to fit, but they're done and I'm happy. By putting the bags on I noticed that the wife can no longer ride due to not being able to reach the footpegs anymore but that's not an issue as she doesn't ride anymore anyway. So that isn't an issue. I'll post some pics later, but they look real nice.

#23 ·
They are a bit forward but (as I said earlier this would be my first effort in doing this) I couldn't see any way of attaching them without using the stock two bolt hole holes in the grip bar as attachment points. The inner contours of the bags (shock cutouts) would have prevented placing them rearward any more than they are and still use the grip bar holes. I don't know of anyone living near me so that I could look at their arrangement to get any other ideas. The extreme rearward that they could go, assuming that there was another way to attach them, would be three inches anyway before they hit the newly relocated lights. The dimensions of the bags are 19.25" X 12.5" X 7". Be that as it may, the wife doesn't ride anymore so this isn't an issue and they are solidly on.

#24 ·
Maybe I just need a taller wife.................

#25 ·
Ok here's a test pic showing my Viking bags.

I also have a copy of this in the Modification section of the gallery (I think). I hope this works. This is the first time I have tried sending a pic.

#26 ·
So AndrewGilbert, if I can put these things on, and this was my first effort doing that, I assure you anyone can attach them. I hope you enjoy your bags!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.