front peg options - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

front peg options

Wife's '06 VN750 needs new front foot pegs. Have Knifemaker's floorboards, and *really* like them, but the #$%@! stock foot pegs (34028-1147 and -1148) are much too fragile for my liking. Both of them broke on a recently-completed "bucket list" west coast motorcycle tour, and if I hadn't been able to relocate the passenger foot pegs to the front, it would have been "game over" at that point. I shudder (and get angry) when I contemplate what might have happened if my wife or I had been standing on the pegs when they gave way.

Has any enterprising individual built steel (or at least non- pot metal) versions of 34018-1147 and -1148? The mounting loops that the clevis pins slide through are the weak point in the design.

Aftermarket floorboards might be an option, even though I'd have to retire Knifemaker's set. Opinions and suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM
2014 KLR 650!

I hear ya. I don't stand any longer. Scares me now. That's leg breaking stuff there.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 04:31 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

I was thinking on that same thing the other day but haven't got the materials up to tackle it yet

another weak point is the left side peg bracket it is also pot metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Never heard of one breaking off unless the bike went down, but yes they are weak. The passenger pegs are in fact a lot stronger.

I think if you can find a smart welder, he could weld up a replacement using steel tubing for the pin channel and some 3/4" square bar to form the "peg".... Then you just have to drill the bar to mount the floorboards.

You'd lose the stupid spring thing but it be a whole lot stronger.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Never heard of one breaking off unless the bike went down, but yes they are weak. The passenger pegs are in fact a lot stronger.
True confession time... Wife was following me off the highway for a "butt break" stop, and got surprised by how quickly I turned into a parking lot with a fairly steep downhill entry. She grabbed her front brake in the middle of a tight right turn, and laid the bike down at < 1 mph. At that point, the right foot peg was toast. Other than the foot peg, there was no injury to anything except pride.

While relocating the right passenger peg to the front position, the bike was trying to move away from me, so I kicked the shift lever to knock the bike into gear. That's when the left-side front peg bit the dust. I'm thankful to have discovered the stress fractures in the left-side pot-metal loops in as painless a way as I did. That there were stress fractures prior to the peg giving way entirely was borne out by the discoloration of the metal at the fracture sites: too much oxidation and road grime for the breaks to have occurred just then.

Agreed the passenger pegs are much stronger. There's a lot more metal around the clevis pin. I'd sacrifice the unneeded front peg springs in a NY minute for a more solid mounting solution.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I've got some measuring to do, but I can start shopping for materials ahead of my return to the house this afternoon if someone can give me the inside distance between the clevis pin holes of the front peg mount, ideally to the nearest 1/64".

Another option might be for someone with a Kuryakyn 8830 adapter to measure outside edge to outside edge between the pin holes :-).

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

For future reference, the distance between the pin holes is right at 7/8". It's probably the metric equivalent, but my machinist's ruler is marked in inches.

eBay to the rescue this evening. A salvage operation in Ohio called Pinwall Cycle Parts had a set of front pegs off a '97 VN750, including the mounting hardware, shifter lever, brake pedal, etc. for $29.95 with free shipping. The cheapest new parts I could find were going to run me right at $80 + shipping for both sides, so I decided to gamble on the condition of the used parts.

Took a close look at the Kuryakyn 4351 premium floorboards with 8813 splined adapters. As best I could tell, I don't think it's possible to position the right side floorboard far enough toward the rear of the bike to avoid interference with the brake pedal. For anyone "on the fence" as far as trying Knifemaker's floorboards, they're a bolt-on guaranteed fit: had occasion this evening to note the more subtle aspects of the design that make it a bolt-on fit, and was impressed all over again :-).

The Kawasaki Fire & Steel floorboards (part number K46000-405) are scarce as hen's teeth and prohibitively expensive when they can be found. I actually found a few sets today, but none of them were under $340.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement