Garmin nuvi 200 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Garmin nuvi 200

does anyone here have a garmin nuvi 200 mounted to there vulc, and if so how did you do it. just curious, looking into buying a nuvi 200 and would like to make or buy a nice handle bar mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Don't have this model GPS but I mounted a 2610 on a BMW with a RAM mounting system. You can find it here:

http://www.ram-mount.com/

You may be able to find what you need there.

Cheers,

Scott

------------------
1994 Vulcan 750
17250 miles - 10/21/2007
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickgensel View Post
does anyone here have a garmin nuvi 200 mounted to there vulc, and if so how did you do it. just curious, looking into buying a nuvi 200 and would like to make or buy a nice handle bar mount.
Cycle Gadgets offers Ram Mounts for the Nuvi 200. Here is one offering http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...prod=RAM-NUV2W

I have a Mio C230 on my Nomad but have not had an opportunity to try it out. The Ram Mount that I ordered at the motorcycle show just arrived the other day. Now, I'm working on a power solution.

You will have to run power to the unit. Keeping in mind that most of the modern GPS units require 5 volts DC, you will either have to add a cigarette lighter port to plug into or figure out a hardwire solution. In my case, since my Mio uses a mini-USB plug, I have to also get a plug of some sort. There are businesses on eBay that sell the hardwire kits, but I don't want to pay $30 for something that I think I can make for under $10.

The biggest thing you need to worry about is how to keep the GPS from skidding down the road. Since you will be mounting it to the handlebars, it will experience every jolt and bump you hit. I've had my satelitte radio jump off it's mount more then once, only to be saved by the wires plugged into it.

Good luck and post pictures when you figure out what you do. I will be writing up a "how to" when I get my Mio solution figured out.

One nice about the Mio C230 is that it is cheap and easy to hack. I've made this little $150 Mio unit act like a $400 Garmin with some software "upgrades".

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

what kind of "upgrades have you done to your mio, im kind of interested now lol!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickgensel View Post
what kind of "upgrades have you done to your mio, im kind of interested now lol!
I've done what is known as the 3.3 Lite upgrade from http://c230.wordpress.com/. I only wanted the bare bones upgrade as I have no need to play games, listen to music or other **** with my GPS. I just want it to preform like a more expensive unit.

I've upgraded my maps in the states that I will be likely to travel in and added Canada to my unit. A 2gb SD card makes this all possible. I've also added around 6 or 7 new voices, but we still only have the one Text To Speech voice (Samantha) to choose from. I either want a Samual L. Jackson TTS or a proper UK English TTS voice, but until they are released I'll wait.

Here are the complete specs from the Hack website I use. It lists the specs including what it can do with "upgrades". http://c230.wordpress.com/c230-specifications/

I'm still working on the mounting for this creature using a Ram mount kit I purchased. I purchased a Ram Mount PD2 http://asp.ram-mount.com/rammount/pr...er=RAM-HOL-PD2 mounting base that I have on a medium Ram arm on a ball mount. This should work quite nicely. I am adding some additional support to keep the GPS from vibrating out, but so far I think that this would work even without the extra support. Getting the power to the unit is proving more difficult then I planned as I'm having trouble finding a minu-usb plug that I can splice into my power supply. This unit does take 5v dc.

But with 6 more inches of snow on the ground, I think that I have some time before I have to get this unit operational on the bike.

One thing to keep in mind... The Mio units and the non-motorcycle Garmin GPS units are NOT waterproof. At the first sign of bad weather, I will be pulling over to stow gear. Even though the Nomad's hardbags are weather-proof, I'm looking at finding a watertight storage box for the GPS and my Sat radio for when they are in the bags during Noah's Ark rain.

Ram Mount is offering waterproof enclosures now that might fit these style GPS units, but I have yet to see one in person and don't know how the sound will be outside the box. Time will tell...

Here is the thing about the Mio C230. Out of the box, iti s a good barebones GPS unit. Nothing fancy about it except the TTS and the size. Now, if you are a tech geek like who has to fark with it, then it is a Damn Fine GPS on par with units costing $250 more. But be advised, you could seriously mess this unit by hacking it. Word of advice - back everything up every time before you do any hacking so you can reset it if necessary. For someone like me, I like it and would modify a unit for friends any time. But it is not a Garmin and does not act like one.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL

Last edited by bulldog485; 02-26-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added thoughts...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 04:27 PM
1992 Vulcan 750

Send a message via AIM to AGStrange
I, too, have the Garmin Nuvi 200. The "waterproof" issue raised by Bulldog goes without saying. But what about the vibration? Can a non-motorcycle-specific model take the punishment, or will it scramble and die as you head down the road?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGStrange View Post
I, too, have the Garmin Nuvi 200. The "waterproof" issue raised by Bulldog goes without saying. But what about the vibration? Can a non-motorcycle-specific model take the punishment, or will it scramble and die as you head down the road?
IMHO, as long as the unit is has flash driven memory and not something on a mini-hard drive, I would assume you are fine. I've seen people with many non-motorcycle GPS units with no problems and have not heard any of any issues.

I'll find out if the snow ever melts in Chicago

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement