New Windshield & Bag (Review-ish) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

New Windshield & Bag (Review-ish)

New windshield added for these Texas HW speeds. I wanted to take the wind off a bit to make for a more comfortable ride while still getting enough of a breeze to keep me cool in these 100 degree summer days. I ended up getting a Spit Fire Slipstreamer with tint from here: http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/prod/PUS06-ATT.html. So far, it's working very well, holding up to gusty conditions, and fits right where I needed it to. Installation was easy, though I had to mount the supports higher on the bars to keep them from blocking my view of the speedo and tachometer. The tint is quite light, making vision issues non-existent. On the website, it gives the option of receiving 7/8" hardware or 1" hardware (for $5 extra). Turns out the hardware is 1" anyway, and comes with rubber spacers to drop it to 7/8".
Also decided to grab a sissybar bag to replace the stock trunk. Picked up the Inspire 3001 for about $30 from Jafrum. The bag is plenty solid, measuring 12x10x5.5 and is lockable. I mounted it to the backrest using the same three bolt locations that held the trunk in place and the seat in position and it hasn't budged yet. I'll be interested to see how it holds up over time.

Last edited by ipreventdeath; 08-24-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 AM

Looks good.

Did you just drill holes in the bag to fix it to the backrest? Just trying to picture it.

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Old Fart

Garage
^ looks like it's just strapped with a Velcro? strap around the sissy bar...which would make the "lockable" aspect moot as someone could just pull it off the bike and take the whole thing.
So yes, hope it is bolted on somehow....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusjma View Post
Looks good.

Did you just drill holes in the bag to fix it to the backrest? Just trying to picture it.
Yes. I drilled three holes in the bag lined up with the original bolt holes. I used oversized washers, rubber washers, an aluminum bar for support and spacer washers to get it in snug and make sure the seat was still secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
^ looks like it's just strapped with a Velcro? strap around the sissy bar...which would make the "lockable" aspect moot as someone could just pull it off the bike and take the whole thing.
So yes, hope it is bolted on somehow....
The Velcro strap comes attached and I didn't want to just cut it off the bag. I'm just using it as a kind of added security for now, though it isn't necessary.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM

Looks very similar to the "Slipstreamer" I took off my bike,damn thing was too LOW for me... wind came over directly into my eyes/face.So now I bought a larger Batwing style.But hey if your happy,thats GOOD!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 PM

Wait...I think I spy a Transformers decal!!Nice!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Can you tell me where you got the extended backrest? I just recently bought a vulcan 750 and I can't find the taller backrest. Thanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulkan View Post
Looks very similar to the "Slipstreamer" I took off my bike,damn thing was too LOW for me... wind came over directly into my eyes/face.So now I bought a larger Batwing style.But hey if your happy,thats GOOD!!
For me, being 5'10', the majority of the wind is directed onto the very top of my forehead. It still allows light wind to circle around the sides of my face, which works well on those warm days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulkan View Post
Wait...I think I spy a Transformers decal!!Nice!!
Yes, you do. My car is an autobot.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalling1 View Post
Can you tell me where you got the extended backrest? I just recently bought a vulcan 750 and I can't find the taller backrest. Thanks!
Mine had it in there when I got the bike. eBay might be your best bet. I thought I saw a few on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement