Plexifairing 2/3 vs "Batwing" - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Plexifairing 2/3 vs "Batwing"

looking at mod ideas. Presently the bike has a PoS $45 universal windshield, with mounts that partially obscure the speedo (right over the 55mph mark) and tach.

After getting my Protac driver backrest (the best investment for the bike I've made yet) and getting my confidence up for expressway speeds travelling - I have poor core strength, so high speeds made me feel like I was going to fall off the bike - I discovered the wind buffeting was nasty as hell.

Kanuck69 has a very nice looking setup on his bike, with the lower part of the windshield painted to match the bike. But also considering a "batwing" fairing for my bike - either using a Harley Outer or the Mutazu universal Batwing fairing.

A Plexifairing 3 has the advantage of having lowers built in, but I'd like to be able to add things to the back of the "fairing" - and going with a traditional fairing would be more forgiving in that aspect, but most don't come with lowers.

Looking for input on the pro's of one vs the other, and any pics/tips from peeps who have put either on their bikes.

I've got mod fever for this damned bike, I need help.

"wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore - you have to hit them with a sledgehammer. and then you'll notice you have their strict attention"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
That fever is a common affliction so don't worry too much bout that. kanuck is now running the Matuza Batwing on his with his own windshield he made for it himself. i know because i bought it new and then found an HD batwing outer and fabbed up my own dash and inner fairing. I liked it as it provided a lot more wind deflectionand fit my bike better(1500 Classic). You may be looking at an older picture of kanucks bike where he had painted the lower part of a plexifairing windshield to match his bike which also looked good and you had to look close to notice it wasn't a batwing. I am sure he can chime in shortly and let you know all the pertinents. But I will say that the Matuza with no brackets was an easy install on my bike.

Don't think you will go wrong either way, BTW Wolfie put and old Guzzi??? fairing on his and it looked pretty good too.

G'luck

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Giggity!

Garage
If your interested. I am selling that fairing / windshield combo.
It has an equalizer mounted to it with speakers. Sources off anything with a headphone jack.

Pm me if your interested.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

I have been interested in the Plexi 2 for some time but just haven't pulled the trigger as yet. Summer riding is great in the wind but once the temps begin to drop in the middle of October I start to loose some of my interest in longer rides. A couple years ago I rode right through the winter and got in a few hours minimum each week. After last winter I am not sure what this year will bring.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Both the Plexifairing 3 and the Plexistar 2 do have the advantage that they can be popped off the bike quickly if you want to endure some wind.
I had the 2 on my bike. Took some time to work out the precise position to get rid of some buffeting. The shield was cut down about 4 inches by the former owner, which turned out to still be tall after I got a Corbin seat.

Frame mounted fairings are the way to go if you're looking for the most wind protection. Generally you can't adjust them other than cutting down the windscreen....many have two screens, a short one for summer and a tall one for winter.
Full fairings will cost you some bucks, but if your are trying to make your bike a touring bike or a year round vehicle they rock.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Western NY so year-round is out of the question, my stones aren't that big.

Frankly, I'm looking for more wind protection, and I like the look of a fairing. Plus the possibility of small amounts of extra storage behind it. Not really into the idea of stereo+speakers - I prefer my bike to be on the quiet side, and if I want music, BT speakers in the helmet is my plan. My "disturbing the peace" days are behind me.

Basically looking for a setup that I can use to put a KM-style dash on to put a couple of essential gauges, a decent clock and sheltered mount for my smartphone for GPS and music purposes.

"wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore - you have to hit them with a sledgehammer. and then you'll notice you have their strict attention"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

i got a plexfairing3 in march and in january and it made a world of difference. it will extend your riding time. only problem i have with it is the lowers funnel heat up from the engine. it gets hot enuff without the extra heat from the engine.

i emailed kanuck69 about his set up. pa is a helmet choce state and i really dont gve a **** about disturbing the peace laws

85 700
V&H Cruzers
coastered&shaved
uni filters
coil mod
KC's led turn signal boards
clear alternatives led tail light
Wolfies forward controls
vn900 seat
AGM Battery
Iridium plugs
willie and max bags
plexifairing 3
14 inch apes

97 75
parts bike for now

He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 10:09 PM

I personally like my batwing (1968 bates)....weighs a lil more...but I can easilly add a dash to it, stereo, gauges, etc......

If I were livin in mostly warm climes, Id only have a lil baby windshield just to deflect highway winds...byt once yer in the colder states....a batwing cant be beat IMO....

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

bringing this back to life - so I've noticed that for any batwing fairing, by it's design it's easy to attach one of those 3-pocket windshield bag things for some extra storage, but looking at PF2/3 it doesn't look like that's easily possible, since the top has a 2-point mount setup off to the sides of the windshield. If you'd want to mount a bag there, looks like you'd have to drill holes thru the acrylic - would that weaken it and lead to premature failure of the windscreen?

Also if I went with a PF2/3 I would like to paint it so it would have a batwing-like appearance - similiar to what the image in Kanuck's sig looks like. any tips for that?

PF2/3 scores points with me for coming with a mount that is properly designed for fitting it to the bike, and in the case of the PF3, it comes with lowers.

A batwing of some sort, either Mutazu Universal or a repurposed Harley one - I really like the looks of those, and the ease of attaching a 3-pocket back, but no lowers with those, and have to get a little creative with mounting on the bike.

Once I get whichever choice of windscreen on, the only reason it would come off is to do maintenance/modifications to the bike, so a "quick-release" mount is not a huge consideration.

Any comments/tips to helping me make a decision? Thanks!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Sounds to me like you answered your own question and have chosen the batwing.

There's a thread around here somewhere on how to make your own lowers.... So I'd not let that be a part if the equation.

Frame mounted fairings are much more stable than the Plexi's btw.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement