Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
1992 Vulcan 750

Send a message via AIM to AGStrange
Back pain solutions

I've been experiencing back pain (upper and lower) on longer rides. I've read various threads on different accessories for solving this problem, but I haven't seen anything that was THE solution.

At the Delmarva Bike Week event a few weeks ago, I bought a Butt Buffer from a vendor. This is a seat that contains a polymer that's supposed to redistribute your weight/pressure points and make for a more comfortable ride. And, with a 30-day money-back guarantee, I figured it was worth a shot. Unfortunately, the pain remains, and the seat has been sent back.

My next guess would be to try the Pro-Tac backrest. They, too, offer a money-back guarantee, but I'd rather not keep returning things, I'd like to find a solution instead!

Another solution would be a replacement seat, but that's the most expensive option and, unfortunately, Mustang doesn't make a seat for the VN750 any more.

I know that similar topics have come up before, but I was wondering if anyone who has suffered with chronic back pain has found one solution better than others -- the "magic bullet" of pain relief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Three things that helped me with the same problem.
1) Air hawk seat pad. (its adjustable,big difference)
2) Something to lean on. (I have a river road pack back,works great)
3) Adjust those handle bars. (pulled mine back a couple inches,big difference)

Good luck,Steve

Steve from Pittsburgh
2005 vn750
modified knifemaker driver boards
chrome levers, Shaved saddle
Ape manual CCT's, nylon saddle bags
engine mount covers, plexIII windshield
crash bar w/floor boards, air hawk pad
ear mod, rad cover/,w/ss mesh
chrome cable and wire covers
chrome anti-freeze cover
RR relocation,MF battery,drilled out
idle plugs,marbled
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Unfortunately there isn't a single "magic bullet" that will cure it. Since this is an ergonomics issue and people are designed differently, the solution won't be the same for everyone. I've seen on here where some people have added a memory foam liner under there saddle skin, others have added a gel pad and others have used the airhawk cushion. It's all a trial and error until you get something that feels right.
Spriddle is on the right track. Try adjusting your handlebars back. It's free and could relieve a lot of the upper back pain. Adding a handlebar riser can help move them up and back also.
A cushioned cooler, backpack or one of those bags from www.bikersfriend.com or similar type bags can give you something to lean back on and help with lower back pain.
Cushioning the seat with a gel pad, memory foam, airhawk cushion or something like that can help out.
It may not be any single item that helps. It may be a combination of things. Just keep trying until the pain stops.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 01:00 PM

I had the same problem. The backrest and pulling the bars back a couple of notches made the difference.

Goodf Luck

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
1992 Vulcan 750

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like adjusting the handlebars is step one. I think a call to Pro-Tac isn't far behind.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 02:09 PM
1995 Vulcan 750

I did 3 things to eliminate back pain:

1. Mustang seat (great deal on eBay).
2. Pro-Tac back rest (Definitely worth the $).
3. Pulled the handle bars back a couple of inches (this also made turning easier).

Good luck.

Al

GatecityAl
Al Lancto
Manchester, NH
1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1987 Yamaha Venture Royale
VROC #18753
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM

Another possibility for a backrest is the CruiserBag available at http://www.cruiserbag.com/
You'll get some more storage space also as an added benefit.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 AM
fuzz

it's the bike , these bikes are not biult with ergonomics in mind .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGStrange View Post
I've been experiencing back pain (upper and lower) on longer rides. I've read various threads on different accessories for solving this problem, but I haven't seen anything that was THE solution.

At the Delmarva Bike Week event a few weeks ago, I bought a Butt Buffer from a vendor. This is a seat that contains a polymer that's supposed to redistribute your weight/pressure points and make for a more comfortable ride. And, with a 30-day money-back guarantee, I figured it was worth a shot. Unfortunately, the pain remains, and the seat has been sent back.

My next guess would be to try the Pro-Tac backrest. They, too, offer a money-back guarantee, but I'd rather not keep returning things, I'd like to find a solution instead!

Another solution would be a replacement seat, but that's the most expensive option and, unfortunately, Mustang doesn't make a seat for the VN750 any more.

I know that similar topics have come up before, but I was wondering if anyone who has suffered with chronic back pain has found one solution better than others -- the "magic bullet" of pain relief.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM

I agree

I had the same back issues on my VN but not my Silverwing. What I did has already been stated: a back rest. I just stuffed a black carry on bag with a sleeping bag and bungee corded it to my Kawasaki high back rest. A few weeks ago my bro and I did a 7 hour ride with no problems (he was sore on his Triumph). The wind was cool with warm sun and I could have taken a nap going down the road. I replaced the bars with Kawasaki black anodized from a 750 Spectre (more for looks) and added Bar Endz to reduce any vibes. I feel like I'm in a recliner chair going down the road.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
1992 Vulcan 750

Thanks again for everyone's comments and suggestions. I've ordered a backrest from Pro-Tac (should be here in the middle of next week) and I'll deal with the handlebars in the next few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement