What helmet do you wear? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

What helmet do you wear?

After reading Cindy's post about her shield fogging it got me to thinking what style of helmet each of us wear and why we chose that style.

When I first started riding I use to wear a full face helmet with a tinted shield and always carried a clear shield for when it got dark. Got tired of carrying the spare shield around so I stayed with the clear and wore sunglasses.

These days I switched to an open face with a clear shield (HJC C-33). I like to ride with the shield up sometimes so I wear safety sunglasses during the day and clear safety glasses at night. The shield helps on the highway, during dusty conditions and riding into a bug swarm.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Full face nolan with clear shield.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 03:26 PM
85 VN 700

Full face with clear shield and safety glasses when I'm leaving in the dark - coming home in the dark or in the light (just completed a job which required 12+ hr days). I normally only ride during daylight and thus usually have the smoke shield on.

Mine's a HJC CL-14 and I plan on switching soon. Kinda been thinking about one of the new scorpions (the new HJC's don't fit my head right).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Calif Rider

Full face with clear face shield. I wear glasses and they are photo gray that change with the light.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Ever since Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger took a header off his bike and messed up his face, I've been wearing a white, full-face HJC AC-12. (I used to wear the HJC 3/4 with sunglasses.) It meets all the safety requirements, the air-flow is fine, the visor can be raised into three different (useful) positions, it's comfortable, and it's relatively inexpensive. I've replaced the clear shield with various RST shields (gold & silver) ~ I no longer need to wear sunglasses, and I can see well even in the dark so I don't swap it out when riding at night (although I've noted that other users have found it too dark). I ride behind a PF3 windshield, so unless the weather is cold, I often have the visor raised to some degree.

helmet ~ http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...12-Helmet.aspx

visor ~ http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...SP-Helmet.aspx

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 09-22-2007 at 03:56 PM.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 PM

full face,

Scorpion EX400. Clear visor, + shades during daylight.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Old new guy

Back in the late 70s, early 80's I wore a white full face helmet. Having my face scraped off in an unplanned get-off didn't appeal to me. But I replaced it with a 3/4 Shoei in '86, and wore that for many years, with a pair of Ray-Bans. I'm now wearing a red Scorpion 3/4 with safety glasses or sometimes those same Ray-Bans (which I've been wearing since 1972). I don't like the optical quality of face shields. And I still don't like the idea of having my chin ground down on the asphalt, but I find the full face too restrictive. I started wearing the polycarbonate safety glasses when I read about someone who got hit with a pebble in the glasses and got an eye full of glass shards. The Scorpion is a good fit for my narrow head. The HJC was too round.

Mississippi Swamp Rat
2006 VN750, "Little Big Bike", adopted Aug 07
POW ride bell F&S backrest Westco AGM PF3 bobbed 2" F&S engine guard Kuryakyn ISO-Pegs Mustang seat Vista Cruise Highway Hawk bag support W&M braided slant bags & tool pouch Biker's Friend F&S rear rack Rider Light Diamond Star headlight modulator BackOFF brake light flasher

Last edited by msswmprt; 09-22-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: 'Cause I need to correct a mistake, ok? Must I justify everything?
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Lebanon, NJ

Arai Profile full face with a visor tint strip.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

My regular helmet is the full face, HJC CL-12 Street Fighter. It did fit a little funny, so I put a couple of shop rags under the liner to where it fit's just right.
Normally I have a grey tinted shield and wear the Walmart "WindRider" sun/safety glasses. They have a 2 layer lens. If it gets too dark out, you can remove the back dark tinted lens and then just use them with the front, permenant, mirrored, very barely yellow tinted, polycarb lens. The frame is all aluminum, so I was able to put a little bend here, a little bend there and get them to fit just how I like them. I also trimmed about 1 1/2in off the ear posts, so they're easier to put on and off while wearing the helmet.
IMO, these are the best glasses I've ever had for streetbikin' and regular use.

I also have a snap in, velcroed breath shield for colder rides. It's supposedly made for the CL-14, but fits the CL-12 just like it's made for it. I have a pic of it HERE, while wearing the single layer of the above glasses.

Also for it, I have a clear, insulated (dual layer) snowmobile shield. It rarely fogs up, but it seems the material is softer than a standard shield so it scratches (or should I say scratched!) pretty easily?? I only use it if an entire ride, in really cold weather, is gonna most likely be ridden with the shield down.

And lastley, attached inside the liner I have speakers for my Chatterbox communicator. The way I understand it, Chatterbox is made by the same company as the HJC helmets, and (I believe) all HJC full face helmets have a pocket in them for these.
I just got a cord to hook up an MP3, CD player, or whatever to just the speakers, but haven't tried it out yet, other than while sitting infront of the 'puter, wearing the helmet and listening to some Ted Nugent .
Gotta be safe while surfin' the net!!! LOL

I also have the Walmart, Bell brand, half helmet as a back-up/passenger helmet, with grey flip up, tinted shield/visor.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Both me an my wife have Shoei RF-1000 full face helmets. photo here:
http://tinyurl.com/y7ctjw
(in matching silver...yeah, how cute..)
Mine has a the blue mirrored Spectra visor, while hers has a gradiant mirror. When on trips it is no problem to take along the clear shields for when it gets dark. You can swap shields in about 20 seconds. And being somewhat photophobic , I usualy wear sunglasses under the tinted sheild on bright days.
I also have a KBC TK-7 full face that always has a clear shield on, so if I don't feel like switching visors on the RF when going out at night or before sun-up , I will grab that helmet instead.
I wore a Shoei Ram Air 3/4 helmet for awhile when I first got my Vulcan, but do to wind noise, and seeing a few unschedualed "face lifts" on other riders, I plan on sticking to the full face helmet for the duration.
I only wear Snell approved full face helmets now, but may consider a "flip up" full face one if testing shows them to be as safe. The new MultiTech helmet from Shoei , is I believe, the only flip up helmet on the market that carries the
Snell sticker.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 09-22-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement