Russell's Day Long Seat - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Russell's Day Long Seat

Scraped my money together and sent my seat out to Russell in CA for a refit. I'm hoping that my prayers will be answered and I will be able to ride without having my butt and back in a sling once I'm finished. I asked that they send pictures of the rebuild and that I would share them with this group. While the craftsman mentioned that this may be a good idea for obvious reasons I think he thought I was asking him for the recipe of the secret sauce instead. So if there is time in the build he will send me pictures. I guess the fact that I called him 'craftsman' didn't help me in my quest for the pictures so when I get the seat back I'll post them. What would be totaly funny would be if the seat comes back and looks like the old banana seat on schwinn bicycle. Hey, if it rides like a champ who cares?

Pep Boys has a motorcycle lift on sale for $69 and a thirty dollar mail in rebate. That's the upside. The downside is it really doesn't fit the 750. If you have some material around it can be modified to fit perfectly. while this isn't the best solution for raising your bike it's the only one I can afford right now.

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 08-06-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Mike ,

when it comes to the jack , make an elevated platform that bridges over the jack with a detachable ramp. Get the bike on the ramp put it on the center stand over the jack and jack up the platform with the bike on it

ride safe J

Last edited by free wheel-e; 08-06-2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: wrong word
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Wheel-e for the great idea. As a professor once told me, "At some point you need to take a hard look at what you are making and ask yourself, am I polishing a turd here?" I had some 1.5" x 1.5" square iron around and I put rails on either end of the jack. It lifts on the frame but it's a tight fit on the kickstand side and much too much work for something to be proud of. I was going to extend the rails out by remanufacturing them using a bender and a new piece of 1/8th inch angle.

I didn't think of your solution but it sounds like a winner. The only drawback may be the amount of room it might take to implement and store. I’m heading for a one room apartment until I find a full time jog teaching. For now I have so much to do with my bike with the seals, fork springs and wheel bearings that I may wait to work on this lift after I'm done. One thing is for sure, this lift can be a real winner if it's modified properly. Thanks again for the suggestion. Do you have any pictures of your lift or were you giving me some great advice?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 PM

Looking forward to seeing your seat and hearing your review.

I like the way the russell is designed and the option for a dirver backrest already on it, not an aditional ad on later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement