saddlebags, saddlebag supports - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question saddlebags, saddlebag supports

I am going on a long trip this coming weekend, and it would be nice to use a pair of throw-over soft saddlebags.

Here's my problem: I do not have saddlebag supports. (I've been meaning to install stock Kaw supports, but haven't gotten around to it yet.)

I know that using saddlebags without the underlying supports can possibly be: 1) dangerous (e.g. the bag getting caught in a moving part), and/or 2) costly (e.g. the bag melting on a hot exhaust pipe).

Unless someone can tell me how I can use throw-over bags in a safe/smart way without supports, I will get by this time with the usual (secured tail bag on passenger seat, duffle bungeed on the back rack, tank bag, backpack). I don't want to experiment on a road trip!

One alternative I have been thinking about: throwing the saddle bags over the TOP of the passenger seat (and under a secured tail bag).

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 PM

I have mine mounted without supports.the tie down is attached to the passenger footpeg brackets,and the yoke under the seat.they don't rub on any moving parts and clearence for the exhaust.

Brian Manchester
'89 "GRIMM"

CUSTOM-Seat,quick detach backrest,2.5"slam brackets,Pipes,Fender struts,head light mount,9"rise dragbars,Grips,Mirrors, turnsignals,LED brake light/Lic.plate frame,Chopper headlight. Shaved,Jetted,coastered,polished forks,saddle&Tool bags,horns moved,180/70/15 rear tire!!! Yes a 180!!!!And other stuff.....
Springfield 1911-A1 Compact .45acp

03 F250 superduty 4x4 V-10 crew cab long box 33's,CAI,SS duals with magnaflow

04 durango AWD
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I usually put my Willie & Max bags over the seat, and I didn't have supports for them and they worked fine. The only thing that held them on were two small bungee straps.... they were under the seat.
In this pic (Willie & Max bags) you can see how close they were to the exhaust, and I never had any troubles.
(W&M bags are synth leather)

They kinda look like they're just about touching the exhaust, but there's about two or three inches between them.

And the attached pic is just another view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backrest.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	536  

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM

I have the River Road slants. They go under the seat the shocks keep them away from everything. They hold a good amount of gear also. I have had them on for over a year and the heat from the exhaust doesn’t seem to affect it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 PM

I have a set of textile throwover bags that I use with no supports. They ride just fine.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM

Before I put on my supports, my bags were under the seat. They have three tie points on them which I secured to the frame and helmet locks. The shocks kept them away from the tire. After a long while, the shocks started wearing on the sides of the bags. If you are using them for the weekend, it shouldn't be a problem.
If you already have the supports, it should take about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to put them on and makes sure everything works. Instead of hard mounting the bags per the instructions, I still use mine as throw overs. Makes it easier for cleaning and winter storage.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 AM

I have some nylon/cordura soft saddle bags that I used until recently. They have a small D-ring on the front end that I tied to the frame just behind the side cover to keep them from billowing out in the wind. That and being under the seat secured them just fine. Riding against the shock didn't seem to hurt anything. They sagged bad when empty but never touched the exhaust or at least didn't melt.. The first few times I checked they didn't even get hot.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Thumbs up on my way

I purchased a pair of TourMaster Nylon Cruiser II Saddlebags. I secured the yoke under the seat. Using thin nylon rope and a square knot, I tied the front of each bag to the hole in the passenger footpeg bracket to keep them from flapping. I then did a test run (with bags empty) for around 40 miles, and everything looked great.

I've packed the magnetic tank bag, tail bag (bungeed on the passenger seat), and a small duffle secured to the back rack with a bungee net... I'm good to go! The bike feels heavy ~ will need to be cautious as I get used to the difference.

I'll be riding around 1,000 miles, round trip, between SW Ohio and the U.P. of Michigan. I'll take photos and post when I return.

EZC

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Have a great trip Charlie. Let us know how it was when you get back. Be safe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Lebanon, NJ

Easyrector, is this the bags you have? http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...tid=132&cat=16

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement