Riding Jackets - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Question Riding Jackets

I have been reading, looking and trying on several different types of jackets. I would like to find one that is a "3 season" type jacket (mesh with wind/rain liner as well as a cool weather liner). Several that I think I might like are 2/3 or 3/4 length but the local store that I frequent says I won't be happy with a jacket longer than waist length.

Anyone want to share their thoughts or experiences with the longer jackets, "3 season jackets", your favorites, etc....

Thanks to all in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:13 AM

I've got a mesh jacket that has the removable liner. It's great in the summer time, but the liner isn't very substantial and I wouldn't consider it a three season jacket, maybe a 1-1/2 season jacket. I'm not sure how hot it gets in Iowa, but you may check into a textile jacket. They should have the removable liner too, and should be more apt to be rain resistant. If you plan on riding in heavy rains a rain suit tucked away in the saddle bag is a good idea.

I just recently got a PowerTrip jacket that rides lower than the waist, but it's not mesh so it's been too hot to wear it here. I did wear it on a short ride just to see how I'd like it, and the longer length didn't bother me, but I guess everyone's different. I suspect that it'll be my "other two" season jacket and I have the leather for the winter riding. The roads are straight and boring in TX, but we do get to ride year round, so I guess you take the good with the bad.

This was posted on the Yahoo forum, Joe Rocket textile jackets for $39, if they have your size it may be worth trying just to see if you like it at that price. If you don't you could probably turn a profit selling it on ebay.

Good luck.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 AM

Try looking at the Powertrip powershift jacket. That is the one I plan to get. Does everything you are asking for and it has armor. The outside is textile with leather along shoulders and arms. When unzipped for mesh the leather part stays which is nice. It is about 300 in local shops but can be gotten on ebay for like 150. I have a buddy that has 1 and he raves about it. BTW its made by a sister company of Joe Rocket.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Here is a great jacket that I use in Hawaii. Plenty of vents for the hot days and with the liner and a sweater I wore this jacket in 7 degree weather in Michigan last year. Good in the rain too! Also has great reflectors that you cannot even notice in the day but work real good at night and has padding in the right places. Forgot how to walk on ice while in Michigan and fell down on my elbow with no problem thanks to the padding. www.jaminleather.com
Just type in the item# M2211VZ in the search box. Cost only $99 and if it don't fit right or you want different jacket they send free shipping for (1) time replacement. Anyways they did that for me last year. Great site everyone should check out...

Mike B.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM

I've got a tourmaster intake jacket, and I think I paid about $150 for it. It's 3 piece, and the outer layer is just mesh with padding on the elbows, shoulders, and back. It has a wind/waterproof layer and a cold weather layer, but I haven't had a chance to use either of them yet. It's been in the 90's around here, so even the mesh can get pretty warm going too slow on the freeway.

Dan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have been using and enjoying a Joe Rocket Alter ego jacket for the past few years. With a sweatshirt and the three layers of the jacket, I can ride in with the temp in the 40s

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Scratches in the dirt ...

I ride fall winter and spring in a First Gear Kilimanjaro? Ladies Jacket. It has a liner for colder weather and 5 vents. I still find it too hot for Maryland summers, but the length doesn't bother me. It has a strap on each side that adjusts the waist size to fit. And actually I think I would find a shorter jacket bothersome. This one keeps the drafts out and comes down in back enough that the top of my pants is covered, so no troublesome drafts up the back from gapping.

GrayFox ~v~ 16511
"Guthrun" 2002 VN750 bought in 04 with 1100 mi.
9000 miles as of Oct 08
Kawasaki F&S: engine guard, turn signal relocation kit, extended passenger backrest, saddlebag supports, V-Force shield.
W&M saddlebags, Beavisí voltmeter,
Gremlin bell, Chrome coolant cover, Chrome radiator frame, Fringe, Westco MF-AGM battery, Iridium plugs.
Photos at:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...fox13/Guthrun/
Sub folders: radiator frame install, voltmeter install>
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 AM

I got my jacket on leatherup.com it's a mesh with removable armor. You could just get the liners for different seasons. The jacket only cost around $60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement