seat replacement - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Cool seat replacement

Any ideas for replacing the seat? I want somthing more modern. Has anyone replaced there seat with aftermarket or made their own. I would love to go solo but it looks like it would take alolt to make it look right. Any sugestions or examples would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 09:47 PM

Cool Re: seat replacement

Stone, I am in the same boat right now. I am trying to make my bike a heavy custom. One of the many things that I will face is the seat. I am wanting to go solo as well and get rid of the whole sissy bar, which Im sure will sell very easily with the extension. I am going to have as much of the rear fender showing as possible. I have a few other things up my sleeve but I wont mention those yet, due to the fact that Dianne wont be winning best 750 at next years reunion. Sorry mam! Anyways, Im thinking about taking the original pan, shaving down the foam(with what I dont know yet) and getting some brown leather and tacking it down from the bottom tight. The main problem with this that I see is when I take the entire sissybar bracket off, there is alot of "hanging over" from the seat pan. The SB bracket butts up to the seat pan which is what I am going to take a look at tonight after work, with the help of a couple cold ones might I add. I do like the look of the sissybar, but I am all about customizing and making my bike original. Another thing that I am considering selling, and hold on to your seat, no pun intended, is my fire and steel floorboards. I got to find a high bidder before I make any descisions on those. I am trying to use that money to shave the ears. Well enough of me rattling the ole eye ball. Let us know what you do.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 12:40 PM

Arrow Re: seat replacement

I was wanting to do the same thing. I had even bid on an extra seat on ebay and then got out bid about the same time I found out I needed surgery. I don't really care for the looks of back rest and would rather have a little more room between the wife and I; by removing it and making more seat room. Carl Carlson had a picture of his which I copied to my computer; I am not sure where it was I found it. I am not sure if he is still an active member or not either. Let me know if you can't find it and I will post it some where or e-mail it to you if your interested. Hey Misfit, I might be interested in the floorboards but with my impending surgery I am not sure when I will be able to afford it. I would really like to get a set of forward controls, but I don't want to spend what Jardine wants for theirs. I found another brand for the price I want to pay, but you have to make your own mounting brackets for them and I don't really have the equipment. I'll quit rambling off the subject now.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Search Goddess

Re: seat replacement

*LOL* Oh you forgot already huh? EVie will also be at the VROC Reunion next year. With her solo seat and her dresser style fenders..
With replacing the rear fender and modifying the fender struts the only question is.. WHICH solo seat do I use.. since she is leaning more towards a baby dresser styling most likely the Corbin Sportster solo seat.. (with spring mounting..)
But yes, there are options for solo seats.. It is just a matter of redoing the brackets for mounting first.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 08:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to IASKRU12

I finally finished my custom seat job. I have pictures but not up where anyone can see them yet. I already have one long trip on it and I liked it. Short story. I took a stock seat. Cut off the backrest. Built up the front part of the seat so that it was even with the back part of the seat with stiff foam. Added in a layer of memory foam on top and recovered it with Marine Vinyl. Not the prettiest covering job. I mainly wanted to see if it worked before trying to make it prettier. Currently, it is held in place only with gravity, I am working on finding a way to secure it and make it easy to remove. I hope to have pictures up and instructions on what I did to build it by the end of the week.

Mike
Bellevue, WA
'96 Vulcan 750 'Hanchi'
VROC#11903
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Some good ideas. Keep them coming I'm going to take her apart this weekend for painting I'll proably decide what i'm going to do with the seat then.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Good luck my friend.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Forum Faciliator

If you are looking for third party replacement seats that are beautiful and fit the lines of the bike very well (IMNO) look at the Corbin seats. They have options for color, flame stitching etc. However their seats tend to be a bit hard for us folks over 200 lbs. If you are over 200 lbs the general recommendation is to look at the mustang seats. There are also places that make custom seats (don't have a list of them). Some have modified the Corbins with gel pads to make them more comfortable.

Corbin seats lower you about 1" and mustangs raise you about 1" in seating height.

RB

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:00 PM

I am also looking for a custom seat for my 750, preferably one which looks like the seat on a Vulcan 800. I've seen two 750s with custom solo seats but there does not seem to be any way to buy a solo seat for a 750, it appears to be a do-it-yourself project.

If anyone has done this before could post a link or a how-to on how to start customizing the stock seat, or even better if anyone knows of a place to buy a custom solo seat for a 750 it would be appreiated
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Forum Faciliator

Here are some places that do custom seat work and/or talk about how to do it:
http://www.sargentcycle.com/custserv.htm
http://www.sunmatecushions.com/motorcyc.htm
http://www.day-long.com./

I thought there was at least one place that specifically mentioned custom vn750 seats at one time, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Ahhh Found it!

http://www.geocities.com/piper_steve/saddles.html

And then there was this reference from the Metric-Choppers fourm:
Chubbs' custom trim shop: 610-372-9395. P.S. Chubb has a really good labor rate.

Let us know what you do and post pictures when it's done please.

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement