Tow bar - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Tow bar

Hey Folks!.. I invested in a tow bar for my bike.. and now I am having second thoughts....I think it might be fine for short trips.. but, what if I wanted to tow it from Detriot to Daytona?..I know I'll be putting miles on the rear tire, but, am I gonna wear out her wheel bearings and god knows what else?.. please help... thank you,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-24_17-05-39_414.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	13345  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

as far as wear goes, I would think the rear tire would see minimal wear, no more than normal riding of that length, probably much less. the tire will have less weight on it (no rider), as well as NOT needing to transfer any power from engine to ground. also, cornering forces will be minimal

wheel bearings, same, for most of the same reasons

I would be more worried about the idiots who cant see pass their hood, and dont realize there is something sticking a few feet farther out behind the van
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
While that may be a good way to move your bike short distances ,Since it is a shaft drive, I would be leery of pulling it very far at all.your rear wheel is going to turn the shaft and the bevel gear into the transmission and whatever it turns in there. I don't know how the bearings in the trans are lubed whether by splash from the dears running in the sump or pressure from the oil pump.Regardless there are going to be bearings turning in there with no oil flowing over them.

If you had a chain drive bike removing the chain would allow the rar wheel to spin independent of everything else.Also with the bike at the angle it is the rear drive gear may not have enough oil to lube it. I wouldn't pull mine like that except for an emergency for a short distance. I would have bought a small utility trailer off CL or out of the classifieds for my use and you could use it to haul other things too, If storage space is a problem Harbor freight sells folding models that take up very little room. JMO.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
While that may be a good way to move your bike short distances ,Since it is a shaft drive, I would be leery of pulling it very far at all.your rear wheel is going to turn the shaft and the bevel gear into the transmission and whatever it turns in there. I don't know how the bearings in the trans are lubed whether by splash from the dears running in the sump or pressure from the oil pump.Regardless there are going to be bearings turning in there with no oil flowing over them.

If you had a chain drive bike removing the chain would allow the rar wheel to spin independent of everything else.Also with the bike at the angle it is the rear drive gear may not have enough oil to lube it. I wouldn't pull mine like that except for an emergency for a short distance. I would have bought a small utility trailer off CL or out of the classifieds for my use and you could use it to haul other things too, If storage space is a problem Harbor freight sells folding models that take up very little room. JMO.
X2 Some bevel gears (like in our rear) aren't cut in such a way as to run in reverse well. Don't know about our bikes.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
X2 Some bevel gears (like in our rear) aren't cut in such a way as to run in reverse well. Don't know about our bikes.

X3, the bearings inside the case should be ok, although the pulp would not be running, the angle the bike would be sitting would allow the oil to occupy the rear of the case, covering the trans bearings. I would be concerned about the rear drive.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Arrow

The teeth on the rear gears have a drive side and a coast side. They would never be stressed in reverse just by towing/coasting.

Trans should be lubed by rotating gears. Long distance towing a shaft-drive though, I'm not sure.

If those orange straps are what I think they are, I won't trust them as far as I can throw them. 12" long crease in my tank to prove it.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
The teeth on the rear gears have a drive side and a coast side. They would never be stressed in reverse just by towing/coasting.

Trans should be lubed by rotating gears. Long distance towing a shaft-drive though, I'm not sure.

If those orange straps are what I think they are, I won't trust them as far as I can throw them. 12" long crease in my tank to prove it.
if you do decide to tow LD I would put some "noodles" (pool floats) covering the straps between contact points.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Also, the rear tire should see increased wear in the center, due to all the miles and never leaning over. Same principle as 'chicken strips' (crotch rocket term for unused tread at the outer edges). As in, "How wide are your chicken strips?"

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabull View Post
if you do decide to tow LD I would put some "noodles" (pool floats) covering the straps between contact points.
The ones I'm talking about just break in mid-span. Not even close to their rated strength.

2003-21k mi

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 PM

If you absolutely must tow it that way...stay at 55mph or under...also, overfill the air in the rear tire a bit....less friction drag that way...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement