Throwover saddlebags? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Throwover saddlebags?

Will throwover saddlebags work on the VN750 without relocating the turn signals? If so, would the best option be to put the throwover strap under the passenger seat or over it? If this is at all possible, which throwover saddlebags do you recommend? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

You can put throwovers on, however they will have to be the parallelogram shape, and very small in dimension. Also you will have to put them far forward, and the will look funny as they will be sitting at a downward sloped angle. I relocated my signals in about 10 minutes by drilling holes in the tail light bezel, you can see them and my bags in my profile pics.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:17 PM

I mounted fairly large bags on mine, with the strap under the seat. Relocated aftermarket signals are mounted on the license plate, just made a simple bracket with flat aluminum stock and used a chrome license plate frame to stiffen it up. There are pics of the bags here: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=31169&page=2 Don't have a pic up for the lights yet.

You might get by using small straight bags without relocating, but then you may as well take the passenger pegs off, or the passenger will be kicking the bags. The saddle strap falls right over the turn signal holes. I stuck mine on with the stock signals in place and the front edge covered part of the side covers.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM
2FAS4U

I have always used synthetic bags. They hold up great in all weather.
Check out these slant style 16"
http://www.willieandmax.com/Store/Tr...addlebags.aspx
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I guess I'll ask what the bags are to be used for?

If you ride alone, a single small bag on the passenger seat can hold quite a bit of stuff...And act as a backrest ..A tank bag can hold stuff too...I personally like tail cases...but a luggage rack would be needed.

But as said, only tiny bags will work without relocating the turn signals, and it's a good idea to have supports for larger bags.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Luggage rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I guess I'll ask what the bags are to be used for?

If you ride alone, a single small bag on the passenger seat can hold quite a bit of stuff...And act as a backrest ..A tank bag can hold stuff too...I personally like tail cases...but a luggage rack would be needed.

But as said, only tiny bags will work without relocating the turn signals, and it's a good idea to have supports for larger bags.
I'm planning on using this bike for a 6000 mile tour out west this summer if I can get it running well, otherwise I'll have to use my V-Strom. If I DID use this bike, I'd have a duffle on the passenger seat for clothes etc., but I'll need another bag for tools and other gear. I'm wonderin if it would be easier to mount saddlebags or to carry a hard sided duffle behind the sissy bar. Would I NEED a luggage rack? The bag is relatively small. Could I possibly just place it on top of the rear brake light housing and strap it to the sissy bar?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlondyable View Post
I'm planning on using this bike for a 6000 mile tour out west this summer if I can get it running well, otherwise I'll have to use my V-Strom. If I DID use this bike, I'd have a duffle on the passenger seat for clothes etc., but I'll need another bag for tools and other gear. I'm wonderin if it would be easier to mount saddlebags or to carry a hard sided duffle behind the sissy bar. Would I NEED a luggage rack? The bag is relatively small. Could I possibly just place it on top of the rear brake light housing and strap it to the sissy bar?
You can try to place your bag behind the sissy bar. It's not too much harder to just get some saddlebags though. The problem with throwover saddlebags is that they will damage the paint on the back fender. I'm not sure if this will be an issue for you... but I found thta the rubbing will create some scratch marks. It'll mount perfectly fine though.
I would check out http://www.vikingbags.com/kawasaki-v...saddlebags.htm before any other brand only because folks on HD forum recommend them like coconut water. Great value in the bags...
I agree with sticking with synthetic leather. I've had genuine leather and its overrated, loses shape over time and looks like junk.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:20 PM

I have fairly large throwovers on mine (empty in the pic, but can each hold 10-12 tallboys easily) and didnt need to move the signals...the strap is between the frame rails and the seat....needed to cut the "hump" off from the bottom of the seat though...no ill effects not having it...and i made bandiron supports for the bags to keep em in place and away from the bike....

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

there's more possibilities

[IMG]http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/razor_021/IMG_201312
07_115648_zpsa52dff6d.jpg[/IMG]

85 700
V&H Cruzers
coastered&shaved
uni filters
coil mod
KC's led turn signal boards
clear alternatives led tail light
Wolfies forward controls
vn900 seat
AGM Battery
Iridium plugs
willie and max bags
plexifairing 3
14 inch apes

97 75
parts bike for now

He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

there's more possibilities

85 700
V&H Cruzers
coastered&shaved
uni filters
coil mod
KC's led turn signal boards
clear alternatives led tail light
Wolfies forward controls
vn900 seat
AGM Battery
Iridium plugs
willie and max bags
plexifairing 3
14 inch apes

97 75
parts bike for now

He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement