Cheap Ebay / Amazon hard luggage DIY Mount. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Cheap Ebay / Amazon hard luggage DIY Mount.

So, being how cheap I am, instead of going with the Vision or Mutazu bags, I got some Ebay knock off for a lot cheaper.

I like them, and they work out okay, and under $50. But if I had to do it over, I'd probably just get the damn Mutazu bags FY series hard bags.

The one I got from Ebay pretty much look identical to the Mutazu hard bags. Came with the cheap "universal" mounting kit. I look at it for a while, couldn't figure out how to mount it on there since it'd be all in the way of the passenger.

I paid $39.99, but it actually went down in price to $36.90 now!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251350963324

If you look at the dimensions, they're slightly smaller, or right about the same size as the Mutazu FY series here which are a few times more expensive.
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...441&s=prod.php

I created the "mount" using:
(2) 10" straight metal bar with holes in it (from Lowes).
(2) 8mm-1.25x50mm metric hex bolt.
(2) 8mm-1.25x60mm metric hex bolt.
(2) Hillman Steel Spacer (3/8in x 1/2in x 1in).
(2) Hillman Steel Spacer (3/8in x 1/2in x 1/2in) Same ID and OD, just 1/2 long.
A bag of 10 8mm crush washers.

Got it all from Lowes for about $10.

I mounted the 10" straight bar, using the 1" spacer in the rear and 1/2" spacer in the front to the mounting holes on the side of the bike, using the longer metric bolts, and crush spacers to make sure it sit tight.

Then I mount the actual brackets for the luggage to the bars, aligning the angle so it's far back and secure it down.

I did have to remove both the helmet locks and turn signals, but that's alright since these bags have lights built in. Had to drill a hole on the side of the luggage to run the wire through. They're the female connector just like the one on the bikes, but since they're slightly larger, I was able to just plug them directly in. No issue here.

The mounts hold pretty well, so far it's been three days, and no issue yet. I've put a few pounds of stuff in it, and no issue yet. It does vibrate a bit though, so what I'm going to do is weld a "stabilizing" brace, that goes behind the license plate, and possibly even use the license plate bolts to hold it, to reduce vibrations and increase rigidity.

Pictures explains all:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:29 PM
2014 KLR 650!

That looks good!

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Once I make a stability brace going through the bolts that hold the license plate, and maybe find some rubber spacers to reduce the vibration. I'll add loc-tite to make sure they all stay. Also, if I have a signal relocation kit, I can add the signals back on and have extra lights back there.
The lights on the bags use wedge type halogens. I'll see if I can find brighter LED bulbs. But so far, they work fine. The signal blink a little bit quicker, probably because these bulbs are smaller and use less power. Once I swap to LEDs, I'll have to get a different flasher module?

Also plan on adding a matching top bag soon:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-MOTORC...R/400589562457

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
The mounts hold pretty well, so far it's been three days, and no issue yet. I've put a few pounds of stuff in it, and no issue yet. It does vibrate a bit though, so what I'm going to do is weld a "stabilizing" brace, that goes behind the license plate, and possibly even use the license plate bolts to hold it, to reduce vibrations and increase rigidity.
Those are the same inexpensive bags i have.
This is how I stabilized mine:
On the rear of the bag rails there is a vertical brace securing the two rails together (just below the cheap lock) which contains a 1/2" round hole.
I put a 1/2" wooden dowel (tight fit) thru the brace's round hole - across the top of the fender mounted tail light - then thru the matching brace hole on the other bag rails. The dowel rests securely on the tail light housing thus much less vibration, much more stable.
The mounted height of my bags allowed that.
I am on the look out for a chrome bar to replace the wooden dowel.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 10-17-2013 at 06:46 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Giggity!

Garage
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
If you run a piece of flat bar from the top of the rear hanger down to the bottom bolt of the front hanger ,it will create a triangle and will not let the rear of the bags droop under a load.

For side to side stability I drilled a hole in my fender on each side and used all thread rod with fender washers on the inside and outside of the fender and the point where they went through the bag or in your case maybe the back side of the inner rail.

Before final assembly I slipped some nice shiny fuel hose over the all thread and then took a small artist brush and painted the nuts and washers black. You have to look hard to see them when they are finished and it completely stops the side to side movement.

Just a suggestion but it worked well for me.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement