National Cycles StreetShield (chopped) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

National Cycles StreetShield (chopped)

I have recently removed a National cycles Plexistar II fairing. I installed a National cycles Street Shield that was chopped. (Can as part of the parts package when I bought Priscilla from DMAG. At first I was skeptical about the value of such a small shield. With the initial installation the angle was quite swept back. It had little affect at first. I made some adjustments when I made my first stop, moving the top out, and up a little. This had the desired affect. It does a good job deflecting about 80% of the bugs and wind right on up to about 80 MPG. I also am getting about 5 MPG more but this may also be caused by the new METZ 880s.

One downside to switching from the bigger fairing to the smaller shield is crosswinds have quite a bit more affect with the smaller shield. Also just a bit more wind noise at the helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM

I have an Enterprise sheild by slipstreamer, I think it's similar to the plexifairing. I was thinking about getting a smaller shield for summer riding and then re-installing the monster for the winter.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
flw

I could have gone with a large or small shield and went with the small. My bike is a vn500 so I thought a small would not look silly.

Well it doesn't look silly but it is next to worthless. For those that want a windshield, get the larger windshield. The point being blocking as much wind not as little as possible. My arms/neck/head are always getting pushed back at speed. It gets tiring after a short while. My experiences only.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Well, with the National Cycles I don't find it difficult to remove or mount the shields. In fact today I went back to the larger more fairing like since the weather has taken a cooler trend. I'm looking at chopping a few inches off the top of it though. It has a lot of distortion in the top inch or so, and I would like to be able to look over it without having to stretch. I've looked over a few on line how-tos on this. I am still hesitant about doing so. As for the smaller it's not as effective as the larger but it does offer about 80% reduction in wind and bugs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Plexifairing 3

I picked up my Plexifairing 3 today ~ had 1.5" chopped off the top by Cinn City Choppers. They did a superb job!!! It cost me $41... worth every penny.

EZC

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Gnarly Jokester

Location: Southwest of Ruby Ridge, Geiger Heights, Washington, USA.

One of the reasons I can ride throughout the Winter months is the Plexifairing II with its full length coverage. Snug as a bug in a rug behind it.
One thing I wish the Plexifairing II had is a port hole to open to let the wind thorugh on warm days. It gets so hot behind the windshield I'm
tempted to take my helmet off.

`
"When the sun's comin' up,
I got cakes on the griddle.
Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle,
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"

`
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Note on cutting a shield down. Spoke with my friends at the local shop the other day. They actually recommend using a router!! They say it's less likely to cause the plastic to split.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Lebanon, NJ

Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
Note on cutting a shield down. Spoke with my friends at the local shop the other day. They actually recommend using a router!! They say it's less likely to cause the plastic to split.
Indeed, very high rpms with a router.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement