Outsmarted by Windshield?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Outsmarted by Windshield??

I recently picked up a used V-Force windshield off eBay. Seemed to have all the hardware with it. I didn't have the installation notes but Jon was kind enough to make me an electronic version of his. Again, seems pretty straight forward. Or so I thought....

For the VN-750, the directions have you remove the 3 screws holding the sealed-beam unit in the headlight housing and then, presumably, replace the bolts that hold the headlight housing to the bike.

The problem I have is that my 2001 Vulcan only has two screws holding the light to the bike and the 8mm screws that came with the install kit are smaller than the 10mm recessed-head bolts that hold the headlight to the housing.

Plan B was to go with the VN-1500 style mounting whereby the windshield is attached to the fork tubes and handlebars. The kit-supplied clamps for this purpose are too large for the smaller tubes on the 750.

Am I over-analyzing this? I spent an hour or so trying different configurations of clamps, etc and couldn't figure it out. My wife will readily admit I'm getting dumber by the day but bike stuff used to be pretty straight forward for me.

Any advice???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Was the used V-force you bought on a 750 before? Maybe you got a set of hardware that's for a different bike? I just sold one to Jetboy that I got from another 750 owner and he mounted it with no instructions. I'm betting that your hardware is for another model bike.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Not really sure. In looking at the hardware, it appears to include parts for the VN-500, VN-750, and VN-1500.

If I read the install notes correctly, it seems the 750 is mounted to the headlight attach bolts for the lower mount and then attaches to the handlebars via clamps with rods going back out to the top of the shield.

The remaining hardware looks like it's for the larger bikes and attached via clamps for the lower and upper mount points.

The eBay listing says the shield came off a Vulcan 750.

The install notes I have are Kawasaki notes and dated 1997. Was there a change to the headlight at some point after this? I found it wierd the directions referenced removing 3 screws holding the sealed beam in the headlight case when my bike has only two.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:56 PM

av8tr:
I checked Kawasaki's web site and the V-Force Windshield should fit every year of the Vulcan 700/750. As Fergy said, you may not have received the correct hardware. Here is the link to Kawasaki's web site where you can view parts diagrams and see for yourself. https://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFram...atalogTypeID=4
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

According to my local Kawasaki dealer, the windshields come with the install hardware for all the bikes -- i.e. there is no hardware kit for a specific bike.

The guy I bought the shield from says it came off his 1996 Vulcan 750.

Can anyone post images of how their shield is attached? It appears I have all the parts listed on the install notes.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by av8tr; 04-21-2007 at 09:09 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 03:37 PM

Pics of V-Force Windshield

Please excuse the dirty bike and poor lighting. The bike is indoors because I am in the middle of putting it back together after pulling the engine to replace the shift linkage that broke last July.

I did not have the time to put the pictures of the windshield here so I have provided a link to Photobucket where you may view them. The files are just under 1M each so it will take a while to load if you are on dial-up.

I hope they help.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...%20Windshield/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

The pictures helped out a lot.

In going through the parts I have, the only thing I can think of is that there must be an additional part that replaces the 11mm bolts that hold the headlight to its bracket. This would be the same place where the small hex-screw attaches to the bike.

It appears I have everything except piece #4 (Stand off Hex). Not sure exactly what this piece should look like but I suspect it replaces the original bolts that hold the headlight to its bracket. It could be as simple as replacement bolts that have been tapped to accept the two hex screws?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 08:23 PM

hey, jetboy here, i did attach mine without instructions-- and i had never done one before, and it did take some head scratching at first i admit. but once i figured out that i had to take the headlight out, it was pretty straightforward after that. id take pics but it looks just like the pictures above except I clamped on the bars a bit lower. - im not sure it matters much-

my headlight too only has 2 screws holding it in place- but the bolts that came with hardware fit right in and tightened up fine-- maybe your headlight assembly has been replaced with one from another bike? or as you suspect, you simply do not have the correct replacement bolts. they are regular bolts with a hex shaft to grip and then a tapped end for the hex screw

Last edited by jetboy; 04-21-2007 at 08:25 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

"they are regular bolts with a hex shaft to grip and then a tapped end for the hex screw"

Definitely did not receive anything remotely like this. I have everything else, including the hardware needed to attach to larger bikes. I wrote the guy who sold me the shield. It came off his fathers bike -- a VN-800. His listing said it came off a Vulcan 750. I wrote prior to bidding to confirm.

Does anyone know if I can buy these 2 missing bolts from Kawasaki?

My bike is completely stock so nothing is missing/changed. I bought it from my neighbor last year with 179 miles on it. Not too bad for a 2001

Thanks for your help on this. I appreciate it.

Last edited by av8tr; 04-21-2007 at 09:10 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 02:02 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

If I'm reading the part description right, it's something like the pic below.
Maybe check a hardware store for something similar that will fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	standoff.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	349  

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement