Fire & Steel Engine Guard - Installation - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Fire & Steel Engine Guard - Installation

I just got a Fire & Steel Engine Guard for my 95. I bought it used from someone on the forum. I was expecting the installation instructions, but didn't get them and he hasn't responded. I spent 1/2 hour laying under the bike trying to figure out how it mounts before giving up. Does anyone have these, and if so do you still have the instructions, or can you take a couple of pics so I can at least see where it mounts?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

JoeM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:36 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I'm sure a few here have the F&S guard. The only pic I could find was from the Cruiser Customizing web site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FireSteelGaurd.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	280  

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
I just got a Fire & Steel Engine Guard for my 95. I bought it used from someone on the forum. I was expecting the installation instructions, but didn't get them and he hasn't responded. I spent 1/2 hour laying under the bike trying to figure out how it mounts before giving up. Does anyone have these, and if so do you still have the instructions, or can you take a couple of pics so I can at least see where it mounts?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

JoeM
If you will PM me (hgree) with your email I will send you a copy of the instructions this afternoon.

Out of VN750s...
On to bigger and better things!
1997 Black & Silver ***SOLD***
Insurance Replaced: 08/25/2008
Mileage: 10/29/08- 4644 miles

Son's **Sold: In the ARMY & married $$$**
1995 Teal Green
Purch 08/17/2007: 14,240 miles
10/29/2008: 17,640 miles

Wife's **Sold: shoulder injury**
1999 Gray/Black w/Fairing
Purch 06/22/08: 18,160 miles
10/29/2008: 19,889 miles

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgree View Post
If you will PM me (hgree) with your email I will send you a copy of the instructions this afternoon.
PM sent earlier this afternoon. Thanks
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

hgree, if you don't mind, I'm going to PM you as well. I got the same thing last fall with no instructions. I'm pretty sure I know how it goes on, but instructions sure would not hurt (what am I saying?!?!?!?! I'm a GUY!!! I don't need instructions!!!!)

Anthony
1985 VN700 (Priscilla) Sold
-------------------------------------------------------
Helpful Links -->>
Search | Vulcan Verses | VN750 Gallery | VN750 Items on Ebay | Link to VN750.com
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 AM
"ya can't live forever"

" Instructions? We don't need no stinkin' instructions " We own VN 750s"

The handymans dream !!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Search Goddess

If you can get to the yahoo group files there is one posted there
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UCwBRkP...gineguards.JPG
or
http://tinyurl.com/33wxr3

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

A couple of guys on another forum who installed one a couple of years ago told me they had to pull one side's exhaust off to get it into the right position. They also said that it takes a little force to lever it into the correct position.

Those comments below:

"okay, I remember now ... you'll have to losen the exhaust so you can finagle things around. It's a TIGHT fit, will take some OOMPH to get all the bolt holes to line up. Use of a screw driver for leverage is handy.

Look at the bike, it'll be pretty obvious where the mount has to go and what bolts you'll have to remove in the process. I do know we loosened or removed the exhaust on one side to get this to work, probably the left side but not sure now. I think we also loosed or removed the shifter peg and maybe even the foot rests. Mainly just so you had access to things. If you have a digital camera, take a couple pics of the left and right side of your bike and post them, that should trigger my memory more."

And:

"Ah yes, I remember this hateful thing now. We took the pipe out so we could get at the right side bolts. It's murder. Actually, it wasn't terrible until we tried to get the pipe back on. Make sure you understand how the clampy thing at the end of the pipe (where it meets the cylinder) works, or better yet don't dismantle it from the pipe and you'll be ok. That's what threw us for a loop, was getting the clampy thing back on the pipe to reattach. You shouldn't have to force it at all, just slide the bigger half down and attach the smaller one (I think).

I seem to recall that the bottom bits attach to the footpeg mount bolts or somesuch. Look it over carefully before hand and don't shoot yourself in the foot and you should avoid the "two monkeys with wrenches" effect that we had."

Sounds promising, doesn't it? Hopefully hgree can get us those instructions. BigT who just checked in here for the first time yesterday or the day before said he was looking at one on ebay, so if he gets it there is another possible source.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
A couple of guys on another forum who installed one a couple of years ago told me they had to pull one side's exhaust off to get it into the right position. They also said that it takes a little force to lever it into the correct position.

Those comments below:

"okay, I remember now ... you'll have to losen the exhaust so you can finagle things around. It's a TIGHT fit, will take some OOMPH to get all the bolt holes to line up. Use of a screw driver for leverage is handy.

Look at the bike, it'll be pretty obvious where the mount has to go and what bolts you'll have to remove in the process. I do know we loosened or removed the exhaust on one side to get this to work, probably the left side but not sure now. I think we also loosed or removed the shifter peg and maybe even the foot rests. Mainly just so you had access to things. If you have a digital camera, take a couple pics of the left and right side of your bike and post them, that should trigger my memory more."

And:

"Ah yes, I remember this hateful thing now. We took the pipe out so we could get at the right side bolts. It's murder. Actually, it wasn't terrible until we tried to get the pipe back on. Make sure you understand how the clampy thing at the end of the pipe (where it meets the cylinder) works, or better yet don't dismantle it from the pipe and you'll be ok. That's what threw us for a loop, was getting the clampy thing back on the pipe to reattach. You shouldn't have to force it at all, just slide the bigger half down and attach the smaller one (I think).

I seem to recall that the bottom bits attach to the footpeg mount bolts or somesuch. Look it over carefully before hand and don't shoot yourself in the foot and you should avoid the "two monkeys with wrenches" effect that we had."

Sounds promising, doesn't it? Hopefully hgree can get us those instructions. BigT who just checked in here for the first time yesterday or the day before said he was looking at one on ebay, so if he gets it there is another possible source.
Dianna just posted the instruction sheet in the post above yours. Can you get to them? If not, you need a Yahoo account.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 PM

I get "Document not Found" on Dianna's link. (??)

Anthony
1985 VN700 (Priscilla) Sold
-------------------------------------------------------
Helpful Links -->>
Search | Vulcan Verses | VN750 Gallery | VN750 Items on Ebay | Link to VN750.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement