Toolbox Accessories and Parts - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Toolbox Accessories and Parts

I know we all own tools, and tools need toolboxes.

My dad is a retired mechanic, and recently he has begun gifting me his tools. His mechanics toolbox is around 45 years old. He retired after 35 years as a mechanic, and it sat in storage for about 10 more after that before I got it.

I've been cleaning it up, and prepping it for paint because after that many years the paint is very thin or doesn't exist. Dad thinks I'm nuts to fix it up, but it has alot of sentimental value for me since we were poor and that toolbox and the tools it contained were how he made his living and provided for us.

There are five pieces, the bottom frame which I have ground the welds off the casters (he built this from scratch after mounting new casters to the bottom cabinet multiple times) and have cleaned, primed, and painted with a base of black gloss before I drill holes for bolting the new cast iron and rubber casters I have for it to it and it gets a few coats of Rustoleum Hammered Metal Black. There is the bottom cabinet, 3 drawers, and a cabinet, mid-cabinet, 2 drawers, and the top box, 7 drawers and a top storage area, and finally the side toolbox.

Anyway, the whole thing will be hammered metal red when I am done, except for the drawer handles and the Mac Tools logo which I am going to remove and reinstall, and I have to get keys made for all of the locks.

There are some pieces I am missing though. Namely a handle on one end (the one you use to pull the toolbox around to where you're working), and a couple of handles you use on the locking cabinet plates that slide down into place. I can get handles to fit the holes I have at Home Depot in a suitable silver finish. The bigger handle though, I am at a loss to find.

Does anyone know where you can pick these things up at? Maybe a toolbox accessories and parts store online somewhere?

BTW. I'm going to have drawer liners in each drawer. The box won't look new, but it will be protected from rust, and still have the character of the old box with it's dented top cabinet (I remember when he came home upset because someone had dropped something heavy (like a transmission) on top of it... and the dents and dings of normal use around a garage.

Stephen

Stephen
Maumelle, AR
AMA Extra Mile Member: 213475
[ '03 Buell Blast | '05 VN750 ]
www.mrbun.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:15 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I am a Mechanic, you can contact Mac and get replacement parts. You may be able to get some warented if they are broken. Most of those boxes cary lifetime warente's. Contact your local car dealer and see if there is a Mac dealer in the area.
Good luck

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:29 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Sounds like a great project,Stephen.
Chad's suggestions are what I'd try first (contact Mac).
I took a quick look at their website and didn't see much as far as toolbox parts, but that doesn't mean they don't have them.
Good luck with the restoration.

And while we're on the subject of toolboxes, here's a pic of my Vulcan parked in front of my toolbox at work (ready for a fast get-away at quittin' time!!)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Guys,

Thanks for the great information.

I'll have to contact Mac tools, maybe they have a parts catalog for toolboxes. OEM parts would be best! :-)

Dad was a hard worker, and as I said before we we were pretty poor... We never had alot as kids, but it seemed like we never wanted for much either. So it's really important to me to fix up and keep his toolbox because it means so much to me because it's how he made his living.

Stephen

Stephen
Maumelle, AR
www.mrbun.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Here's a picture of the project so far... :-)

More photos at my website at http://www.mrbun.com

Stephen
Maumelle, AR
www.mrbun.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement