Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
What brand are they and does the throttle grip have a tube built in? When I bought my ISO grips, the online store didn't do a good job identifying the different sizes of grip and I ended up with 1 in ISO grips. After speaking with a member here, I got them to work. The e-switch housing had to enlarged to allow the new tube to fit and the clutch side was wrapped in e-tape. The grip doesn't slide off and it does twist, but that's no issue for me. Plus, I have a Kury bar-end mirror on clutch side to hold the grip on if need be. I got the oversized grips to adapt and I like having the larger grip to grab.
I bought the iso grips. Can you direct me to that link please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
What brand are they and does the throttle grip have a tube built in? When I bought my ISO grips, the online store didn't do a good job identifying the different sizes of grip and I ended up with 1 in ISO grips. After speaking with a member here, I got them to work. The e-switch housing had to enlarged to allow the new tube to fit and the clutch side was wrapped in e-tape. The grip doesn't slide off and it does twist, but that's no issue for me. Plus, I have a Kury bar-end mirror on clutch side to hold the grip on if need be. I got the oversized grips to adapt and I like having the larger grip to grab.
"and I like having a larger grip to grab" Bwahahahahahahahaha...sorry I am retarded! TIMMY!

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vŅv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( • )
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabeticsince02 View Post
I bought the iso grips. Can you direct me to that link please?
Link for what? I just told you how to mount the new grips. You'll need to split the throttle side housing and enlarge the outer hole (faces throttle grip) just large enough to allow the grip to smoothly twist. I used a dremel. Took a while to do, but it worked.

That kit also comes with a tapered black spacer I used as a filler piece for the throttle grip. Don't cut it or anything. Just tap it onto the end of bar on throttle side. You can leave the spacer stick out a bit if you want a wider reach on the bar. Just be certain both grips are the same distance from vertical bar of handle bar. This spacer takes up excess room in the grip and prevents the grip from wiggling.

For the other side, I just started wrapping the bar with electrical tape until it was difficult to slide the grip onto. Take the end cap off the grip, this allows the grip to slide on a bit easier. I used a combination of heavy duty twist n push and a rubber mallet to get my grip on. It won't easily slip off even though it'll still twist.

This process is a bit time consuming; however, if you want to explore various handle bars, this allows you to easily swap grips w/o needing to deal with glue.

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 06-23-2013 at 03:32 AM.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
They are the ISO grips as well. Can you send me a link on how you put yours on?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
They are the ISO grips as well. Can you send me a link on how you put yours on?
He just posted twice on how to make your 1 inch ISO grips. Read what he says several times walk out to your bike and look at your handlebars, scratch your head, shrug your solders because you Have no clue what blaze is saying, then either picture what he is saying or get 7/8 inch grips.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 08:53 AM
2FAS4U

Also worth mentioning. Honda Goldwing grips are 7/8" and a little longer than stock.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 AM

I screwed up my installation of my grips so I can only recommend what others here have stated. Try and return or just sell them on eBay or here. Get a pair that's safe for the bike.
considering vibration I wouldn't take the chance. Good luck!

VN 900's have a 1" bar. Check out another forum and sell them.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Hello there,

Well, after talking to a motorcycle shop, I was told that the bar size on the 750 was 1 inch and not 7/8. Stupid me bought some cool looking grips that are 1 inch. Is there any way I can still use them?
Yes. Buy a new bike that has 1" bars.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DeAngelo View Post
I screwed up my installation of my grips so I can only recommend what others here have stated. Try and return or just sell them on eBay or here. Get a pair that's safe for the bike.
considering vibration I wouldn't take the chance. Good luck!

VN 900's have a 1" bar. Check out another forum and sell them.
Dude, I've ridden at least 1000 mikes with this setup and have yet to encounter any issues.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about that. Still trying to navigate the forum and didn't realize I posted twice. When they come in I'll either try your technique if i have the extra time or see if i can just return them for the correct size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement