Saddlebag support for river road bags - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Saddlebag support for river road bags

I have no experience with saddlebags/supports...

I got this set of bags free with my bike, but the PO didn't have supports for them.

Do you guys know which supports I can buy (cheapest) to put these on? And will I need the turn signal relocation kit and all that jazz?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3378.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	6977  

\m/ Jaymz \m/
SOLD! 1999 Vulcan 750 | Pics (bought 3/29/2013 with 5657 miles)
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 PM

It will probably be best to relocate signals as you'll find it hard to open bags. Your supports just need to keep them away from wheels and shocks so they don't rub.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-Vul...df8a35&vxp=mtr

Check the threads, though. I think GCExtreme was making some signal relocators with supports.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 PM

I made a set for mine. They came out ok. Used stainless.

92 Stealth
89 Trans Am
67 Camaro
91 suburban v2500

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I got these off eBay but the bolts are too short that came with it. Going to get some tomorrow at the store. I think my slant bags will open without moving the signals too so there's some money saved. Had to remove the helmet locks though. Hopefully this will keep me satisfied for a bit because I'm now broke. Took vacation last week and transfer case broke on my SUV. Talk about some credit card bills....

\m/ Jaymz \m/
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebezer View Post
That is a steal. I bought my highway hawks for $70+ years ago.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Well I got them put on last night after getting longer bolts, and a few choice words...

I don't think they look too bad. Not the best in the world but it will at least give me a place to put some tools and things I might need on the road, especially since I'm new to riding.

I noticed the bottom of the right one was melted a little from the PO. They were on a different bike I believe at that point. I have probably 1-2 inches of clearance. Hopefully that'll be enough not to melt any more.

Oh, and I didn't get any turn signal relocation kit yet. Wanted to try it first before I spent that much money (that I don't have). If I had about another inch, I could open them completely without needing relocation. As they are right now, I can get into them well enough that it doesn't warrant the extra money.

\m/ Jaymz \m/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM

There's another mod you may consider. I saw post here where someone moved their signals to the tail light housing. Accomplished the main objective, but minimal cost. Only thing would be, you can't move back unless you replace the tail light housing as you have to drill holes through sides to mount signals.

p.s. Two of my favorite things are in your picture: a good looking bike and an inviting deck! Great place to relax with a cup of coffee and a breeze.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 PM

That's interesting Okie, I may look into that for mine. Wouldn't have to cut an oblong hole, right? Just a round hole so the stalk goes in and holes for the screws?

A lot of the stores recommend 1-2" clearance on the pipes so those should be fine. Your straps and buckles look identical to mine. Mine have a plastic quick release buckle hidden under the metal ones.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 06-14-2013 at 10:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 AM

Nice pics slim. Seen any pics of the finished lights on the bike?

So the horseshoe piece is already on our lights?

Shouldn't interfere with a luggage rack, I don't think it would anyway.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement