Looking for oversuit or one piece riding suit - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Looking for oversuit or one piece riding suit

My daily commute to work is getting chilly and I decided to look for an easily removed one piece suit. I am thinking getting one with armour as my mesh jacket is armoured and a one piece will eliminate multiple pieces of clothing. I need something to wear over my work clothes that can be put on and take off without removing my boots.

I thought of just getting some bibs to go over my jeans but it seems I am just adding more clothes to carry around for the warmer ride home.

Hell, I don't know what I want until I see it and I guess I need some guidance here because most suits are a fair investment and I really need to get what I need the first time around.

A little help here.....BTW I live in west Texas, I probably will only ride with the temp above freezing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
One piece sutes are pricy, A good pait of chaps will help and zip on and off. Mine are good over jeans to about 40, colder than that I add long underwear under the jeans. They fit nicley in a saddle bag also.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 11:22 AM
2FAS4U

I grew up in the North, and have used snowmobile suits or ski bibs in the past in the cold months. Check your local sporting goods stores.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 03:53 PM

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Imnohero, Do you like the suit? Is it easy to get on and off?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:08 AM

Yes, I like it a lot. Once I got the hang of it, I can put it on or take it off in under a minute. Keeps me dry in light rain and traffic spray, havn't ridden in heavy rain yet. It's got plenty of pockets that are well located. Temperature wise, it comfortable to ride without the zipout insulation down to about 45 degrees. With the insulation, I'd ride all the way down to freezing temps. It's very comfortable to ride in, doesn't bunch up or pinch or pull. With the right gloves, it's definately a 3 season suit (fall, winter, spring). It's too warm to wear once the temp gets above 75 degrees.

Things I don't like:
Not a great fit, since it comes in generic S,M,L type sizing. It fits good, but not great the way a Aerostich suit would...but at 1/3rd the cost, I'll compromise.
The hip armor is only held in with velcro and comes dislodged easily.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 AM

Many years ago, I used to commute to work on my bike in the winter, wearing a Sears one-piece insulated coverall. It was cheap, quick, and easy, but the comfort range for outside temperatures was kind of narrow.

I started looking for a better suit a couple of years ago and couldn't find any one-piece suits that I really liked. I finally decided to go the two-piece route and am glad I did. I have a Fieldsheer "Zero Condition" jacket and Fieldsheer "Astro" pants. They both are waterproof, have removable quilted liners, zippered vents, and have removable armor. I have ridden with these on the freeway for hours at the time with temperatures in the mid-20's with no discomfort at all. In much warmer weather, with the liner removed and the zipper vents open, the jacket is very comfortable with temperatures in the 70's.

For me, the ability to use the two-piece components in a variety of weather conditions is an advantage that outweighs the convenience of the one-piece suits.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 PM

Oh yes, both two piece and one piece suits have advantages.

I need to get a good two piece suit...maybe in the spring. Something more suited to warm weather riding though.

My one piece covers freezing up to 60 comfortably. Between 60-70 it's just ok. Above 70, too hot. So I need something that is good for 65 to summer temps. I'm thinking about a mesh jacket & pants with the gortex liners.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Once Banned

Well I can tell you what not to wear. I wore some sweat pants to attend a presentation today and it was like not wearing anything at all. Even shorts are more wind resistant than sweats.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:21 PM

Help,

What kind of saddlebags are best for the VN750?

Thanks, Myron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement