Locking down a sissybar bag? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Locking down a sissybar bag?

So I'm planning some long rides this year, and am adding a sissybar bag with duffle roll to my bike for the travels.

I do have a luggage rack on my bike, this information will help to know.

I'm trying to figure out a way that I can lock down the back to the bike, not just strap it down but actually lock it down to the bike.

I've though of a couple of ideas, but there are draw backs to each and was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions.

Idea #1 was to just use some cable locks and run from top straps or through grommet holes placed a top of the bag and down to the rack itself.

Problem with this would be trying to one get the grommets installed in the right place due to the back being already sewn together. Also that it's still a bit easy to pull off the bike, because you could easily just cut out the two grommets and the cable would be released.

Idea #2 would be instead to use a metal plate inside the bottom of the bag and drill holes through it that line up with grommet holes in the bottom of the bag. Then running a U-lock or cable lock through the wholes and attach to the rack. This would prevent the ability to cut out the grommets

Problem with this would be, that the holes would not be a the top of the bag, but rather at the bottom, which could cause water to get into them when taken off the bike, bu I don't think that would be too much of an issue really. The only other problem I see would be once again getting the grommets in due to not being able to reach.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, as I sometimes tend to do but do any of you have any ideas or solutions that have worked for you. I know that a lock is only to keep honest people out, I'm just wanting to make it hard for someone who might be tempted to just pull a huge bag off a bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Jack of all trades

My bag has MOLLE strap points so I just used those. It really depends on what bag you use. With mine, I used several straps and a padlock. I used the straps to actually secure the bag and I ran the padlock through one of the loops and around my luggage rack. As long as the bag is securely strapped down, no one should mess with it.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 PM

Just strap a pair of size 17 well worn Army boots to your bike, along with the sissy bag. That should make them somewhat nervous about swiping your bag.

Last edited by Okiebezer; 03-21-2013 at 12:47 AM.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Angell View Post
My bag has MOLLE strap points so I just used those. It really depends on what bag you use. With mine, I used several straps and a padlock. I used the straps to actually secure the bag and I ran the padlock through one of the loops and around my luggage rack. As long as the bag is securely strapped down, no one should mess with it.
In so of the neighborhoods I'm gonna be in, including where I live I'm not sure that is so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebezer View Post
Just strap a pair of size 17 well worn Army boots to your bike, along with the sissy bag. That should make them somewhat nervous about swiping your bag.
Haha sounds like a plan as long as I don't drop or leave behind of or my gazillion pink bandanas
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonePoet View Post
In so of the neighborhoods I'm gonna be in, including where I live I'm not sure that is so true.
really?! wow! around here if you have anything on a bike, people leave it alone! saddle bags, tank bags, sissybar bags, hell I've even seen leather jackets laying across seats with no one in sight and no one messes with it.

have you thought of maybe getting a "trunk" for you luggage rack?

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
really?! wow! around here if you have anything on a bike, people leave it alone! saddle bags, tank bags, sissybar bags, hell I've even seen leather jackets laying across seats with no one in sight and no one messes with it.

Lol I'm not sure if you are serious or not.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post

Haha Yes really. I've had my old car broken into 3 times, and my tracker broken into once in the locked parking garage at my apartment. In Nov. there were two robberies in 2 weeks at the same gas station next door, by the same people both times, the second time they took the ATM and it was found in the stairwell of the parking garage. I saw the 3 guys running into the apartment building.

The problem for me with the trunk is I need more space than that on a 10 day ride where I'm also bringing along camera equipment as well as camping equipment.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Jack of all trades

Hmmm...I'll bounce some ideas when you bring your bike over.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmmm...I'll bounce some ideas when you bring your bike over.
Awesome I will have my bags then anyway so that would be perfect time.

I'm thinking the metal plate might be the best bet.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Lol I'm not sure if you are serious or not.
my thoughts...
If keeping your (already owned) bag, I would go with your own Choice #2.

Also, consider all idea's which have been presented.

My choice, lock up bag, lock bag down, hang a worn Hand gun Holster in plain site on your bike...secure with a bolt !

just my 2 cents

WilliamTech

Last edited by WilliamTech; 03-05-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement