Custom made parts make my 2006 Vucan 750 super comfortable - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Custom made parts make my 2006 Vucan 750 super comfortable

I just received my terrific, custom made to order, the following items from [email protected]:
-heavy duty stainless luggage rack
-2 stainless floorboards with right foot heel stop edge
-extended stainless shifter pedal
All were exactly what I needed for me to fit on my bike.
Couldn't find a rack anywhere,except ones that have a have a weight limit of 5 lbs.(ridiculous) So, Mike made me a great one to hold myself ! lol
I needed floorboards that were not only comfortable for my size 13 feet, but ones that prevented me from melting my heels on the hot exhaust, and Mike designed and made them-perfectly
My shifter peg was too small for my boots-so Mike made an elongated one-perfect, again!
I found Mike, here on the Vulcan Forum, and I highly recommend him for those bikers who know what they need and want to make their ride better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Jack of all trades

Pics of the aforementioned parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage951360941488846.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	5287   Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage951360941560979.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	5288   Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage951360941598651.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	5289  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The 5 lb weight limit of the stock luggage rack is just a humorous number they picked to cover their asses from liability lawsuits. I weigh a good 150 lbs and have stood on top of the rack with nothing bending or breaking.... Many others have loaded theirs with all most as much weight and report no problems.
Don't believe everything you read.

Those are some big ass floorboards. I found just having floorboards prevented my right heel from touching the exhaust pipe... No extra guard was needed.

If you look in my photo link below you'll see some other "custom" parts you might have an interest in.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The 5 lb weight limit of the stock luggage rack is just a humorous number they picked to cover their asses from liability lawsuits. I weigh a good 150 lbs and have stood on top of the rack with nothing bending or breaking.... Many others have loaded theirs with all most as much weight and report no problems.
Don't believe everything you read.

Those are some big ass floorboards. I found just having floorboards prevented my right heel from touching the exhaust pipe... No extra guard was needed.

If you look in my photo link below you'll see some other "custom" parts you might have an interest in.

KM
x2! Same kind of non-sense the manufacture uses for bike load capacity. I could see a load capacity being limited on a smaller, but 400lbs on a 1500+ is just stupid!

An awesome example of this sort of limitation is found on a KLR650. I have seen pics of riders loading a weeks worth+ of gear onto their bikes and they still ride just fine. The big concern with adding more weight to the rear is how doggy the bike becomes when performing low speed turns. The ass end doesn't want to turn as easily as the front end. This isn't as noticeable at higher speeds, but the condition is still present.

Loaded KLR pic> http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/392/loadedklrdq5.jpg

Last edited by blazblu82; 02-16-2013 at 07:39 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM

Good thing it was you Mike...I came REAL close to jammin on THAT button, lol...

And we used to WAY overload log trucks in the North Country all the time....as has been stated, its a CYA thing...frickin lawyers...

Last edited by Wolfie; 02-16-2013 at 09:17 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
x2! Same kind of non-sense the manufacture uses for bike load capacity. I could see a load capacity being limited on a smaller, but 400lbs on a 1500+ is just stupid!

An awesome example of this sort of limitation is found on a KLR650. I have seen pics of riders loading a weeks worth+ of gear onto their bikes and they still ride just fine. The big concern with adding more weight to the rear is how doggy the bike becomes when performing low speed turns. The ass end doesn't want to turn as easily as the front end. This isn't as noticeable at higher speeds, but the condition is still present.

Loaded KLR pic> http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/392/loadedklrdq5.jpg
I have heard of KM 's antics on his luggage rack.Changing a light bulb or something like it.On the other hand I saw EZ Rector(Charlie)'s luggage rack after it broke one of the tubes under the seat.He thought he had a loose bolt and we were going to tighten it up and it was broken.

That being said, that was the only one I have seen broken.I have seen Mike's Racks and they are very well built and strong,as well.You throw in what how hard the Fire and Steel racks are getting to find.With what the price on one is now and the ones Mike makes is a pretty good bargain.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Old Fart

Garage
In theory anything can break. I've seen frames broken like they were cut with a laser. Some were do to just micro fractures that were there to start with.

Given its position, I doubt I'd put more than 60 pounds on a rear rack regardless on how strongly it's built. Heavy items should be carried low, in saddle bags or farther forward in tank bags. If you don't have a passenger you should carry stuff on the passenger part of the seat instead of the rear rack.

The lower you can put weight and the closer to the bikes center of gravity the better.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
............ Heavy items should be carried low, in saddle bags or farther forward in tank bags.......... The lower you can put weight and the closer to the bikes center of gravity the better.
X2 on that. I have seen broken kick stands from the bikes having to much weight up high in tall tail bags and the bikes being leaned over to the side.

With that said, I love the heck out of the look of M Angels rear rack. Sharp looking in the above picture

Last edited by Chuck A.; 02-17-2013 at 10:12 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Another caution here if you are riding in twisty hill country. Piling a bunch of weight on the back seat or luggage rack will make the front wheel pretty light and hard to gain any turning traction while accelerating out of an uphill turn.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_largo View Post
I just received my terrific, custom made to order, the following items from [email protected]:
-heavy duty stainless luggage rack
-2 stainless floorboards with right foot heel stop edge
-extended stainless shifter pedal
All were exactly what I needed for me to fit on my bike.
Couldn't find a rack anywhere,except ones that have a have a weight limit of 5 lbs.(ridiculous) So, Mike made me a great one to hold myself ! lol
I needed floorboards that were not only comfortable for my size 13 feet, but ones that prevented me from melting my heels on the hot exhaust, and Mike designed and made them-perfectly
My shifter peg was too small for my boots
-so Mike made an elongated one-perfect, again!
I found Mike, here on the Vulcan Forum, and I highly recommend him for those bikers who know what they need and want to make their ride better.
Those floorboards and extended shifter pedal sound like exactly what I need.

What are the dimensions of the boards?

Is the extended shifter pedal a clamp on design or a whole new shifter lever?

A few more close-up pictures with a ruler alongside would be most helpful.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 02-17-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement