Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Saddleman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 51.9%

What's the best seat.

7K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  fergy 
#1 ·
I was wondering what popular opinions on the best aftermarket seat are.

#4 ·
I went with 'Other' cause I don't seem to have too much trouble/problem with the stock seat.
My longest single day ride was a bit over 500 mi., and while maybe slightly uncomfortable (probably no more than if I'd drive a car for that far) it was still bearable and I probably could've kept going awhile longer.
Maybe if I tried another seat, I'd like it better, but I'm not about to spend a few hundred $$'s to find out.

#5 ·
Yeah, I went with "other" too. I have no idea what the best seat is, I just know it isn't the one on the bike, but I don't have the funds to actually try to find out either.

#6 ·
I've done 400+ mile rides and always stop at 100 or so miles usually need gas after riding a couple of hours, but I get sore and I'm looking for some more comfort. I just figured there has to be a better seat then stock, thats the reason for the poll. Maybe I'm just becoming a pussy with age.

#7 ·
Someone here has mentioned that it seems lighter riders may not have as much of a problem with the stock seat due to it's softness. Most of the other seats are a bit stiffer, offering better support to the tailbone, giving a more comfortable ride.

#8 ·
I had a stock seat, then had a stock seat modified with memory foam and now a Corbin, kept getting better every time. One thing I have found to work in hot riding is baby powder on your seat, very nice keeps pants from sticking.

#9 · (Edited)
hyperbuzzin said:
Someone here has mentioned that it seems lighter riders may not have as much of a problem with the stock seat due to it's softness. Most of the other seats are a bit stiffer, offering better support to the tailbone, giving a more comfortable ride.

I'm 6' 240# might be part of the problem.

#13 ·
ok the pillow was for after the ride lol I am 5'11" and about 245 and I got used to the seat during the ride its when I get off that I feel it. I have the wife checking second hand stores for a leather jacket to try and make a new seat cover for cheap....I just can't bring myself around to spending 1/2 the cost of my bike for a seat.

#14 ·
I had my seat recovered this year. And while they were in there I had them cut the foam down about 1 inch to flatten it out and cut it back about 1/2 inch or so to give more defined rise area. Also had buttons removed, I think they do a good job at holding water and dirt so you can't get it all out!! The smooth look looks good!!
Might have been good Idea to have Gel put in at that time, but it is better than it was!
6' @ 300 lbs.

#16 ·
TrashLord said:
ok the pillow was for after the ride lol I am 5'11" and about 245 and I got used to the seat during the ride its when I get off that I feel it. I have the wife checking second hand stores for a leather jacket to try and make a new seat cover for cheap....I just can't bring myself around to spending 1/2 the cost of my bike for a seat.

I hear ya on that. I got my bike cheap 'cause it was leaking out the stator cover. Fixed that and haven't had any (1 bad crimp connection) problems since, but I bought it with 17,000 and now it has 25,000 so even though seats are expensive compared to the original purchase price I want to be be comfortable. Besides I spent that much (seat price) on pipes just to make it look nicer and sound better at least I can do is spend a little to make it more comfortable even if I will never recoup the upgrade cost on resale of the bike.

#17 ·
I voted for "other" also. I use the stock seat with the $18+ Walmart
waffle auto cushion. I through it over the seat like a cowboy ready to
mount his trusty steed.

#18 · (Edited)
So far the trend with 6 votes in it's 2 to 1 in favor of "other" with most of those people modifying the original seat. I'm not handy with upholstery, I can work on any other part of the bike just never dealt with that I guess if you know what you are doing you can make a seat perfect for yourself.

#19 ·
On these seats it's not really too much upholstery type work. If you can work on the bike, you can do this seat. Take it off an look at how its put together. Real simple...

#20 ·
95VN750 said:
Also had buttons removed, I think they do a good job at holding water and dirt so you can't get it all out!!
Between the water on my butt, and the baby powder stuck to the spot, all my friends are beginning to wonder.

#21 ·
cegodsey said:
Between the water on my butt, and the baby powder stuck to the spot, all my friends are beginning to wonder.
:boxing: <--- me fighting with myself to keep quiet...after all there are women here lmao :doh:

#23 ·
one more vote for the "other" stock seat. my longest ride so far was ~400 with frequent stops for pics, gas, snack, etc. the guys i rode with kept telling me i'm goint to feel it by the end of the ride or if not the next day. i did feel just a bit sore next morning but the thought of riding to work didn't scare me or anything. it wasnt to bad i guess, no idea how would it feel with aftermarket seat. maybe thats because i'm 165lbs. also i strapped a sleeping back to my passanger seat as a backrest. maybe that helped too.

the idea of modifying the seat sound pretty cool. another thing for a winter project

#24 ·
I also vote that something for the back helps LOTS!!!

Back rest.... sleeping bag

Try getting a small duffle and pack it with clothes, towels... what ever, and bungie it in the passenger position. pack and/or adjust bag until you sit comfy on the bag.... go riding and see if it makes a difference.

You might just need a back rest!

#26 ·
kait said:
but I don't have the funds to actually try to find out either.
Yea, me too.

I have the stock seat. It's not too bad. At 155 lbs and 4.5 miles to work it never bothers me. Probably the longest ride I have taken was about 300 in one day. That was with stops for various reasons. On the longer rides the wife gets sore on the back seat but she only rides 4 or 5 times a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.