Headlamp/bulb discussion continued. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsaysme2u View Post
so what are the specs for the type of bulb that fits our bike? is there no way to get a highpower led...(btw i was mistaken on KC's LED lights...he was speaking about running lights) sooooooooooooooooooooooo with that being said i need a way to run much lower wattage lights as i have running lights as well as a led light kit(has six flex led light tubes)
i am changing brake lights to led and turn signals to amber leds(watts and amps not available) but i am still worried that increasing my headlight to such a high wattage (80/100) will not allow me to run any other accessories...now i know that this is not a gold wing but we should be able to mod in a way that will allow this...any ideas?
You need specific specs for all the bulbs/LED's you have installed to calculate your overall Wattage used.

1157 bulbs used in tail light and front stalks as running/blinker bulb draw about 8.3 Watts or 0.59Amps in the low(running light) element.
In the high element (brake or blink) it draws about 26.8 watts or 2.10Amps per bulb.

LED bulbs should be considerably less. for example: I make an LED insert for the blinkers and running lights on my LED board the running light section draws less than 0.15Amps. The blinker section runs at around0.20Amps.

If you replace your standard bulbs with LED's you should be reducing the overall power consumption already. In my case I eliminated over 6Watts per bulb on the low filament and reduced it by 24.4Watts per bulb on the high filament.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsaysme2u View Post
so what are the specs for the type of bulb that fits our bike?
H4 bulb. Stock is 55/60W I believe.... 12VDC

Quote:
is there no way to get a highpower led...
Sure, find one with an H4 base, or cob something up yourself. There is always a way
Quote:
(btw i was mistaken on KC's LED lights...he was speaking about running lights)
I know. I told you this back in post 66....
Quote:
sooooooooooooooooooooooo with that being said i need a way to run much lower wattage lights as i have running lights as well as a led light kit(has six flex led light tubes)
i am changing brake lights to led and turn signals to amber leds(watts and amps not available) but i am still worried that increasing my headlight to such a high wattage (80/100) will not allow me to run any other accessories...now i know that this is not a gold wing but we should be able to mod in a way that will allow this...any ideas?
Yes, I have an idea.....
install an HID headlight..... it only draws 35W

Other than that, replace all your other lights with LED's...
disables all gages and cluster lights, or replace with LED's....
Install a high output stator...
Cob an alternator to the bike....

basically you need to reduce the power out of the system and/or increase power in to the system.... First law of thermodynamics...
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
There are bikes that can't burn 100 watt H4 bulbs without melting. Oddly I read about folks using HID lights instead. So I gather they run cooler?
Yes, they run at a lower temp. than 100W halogen bulbs....

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
I know I will hear all about how bad of an idea this is... stress on the stator etc.... but here is what I say, spend the 10$ on the 80/100 bulb (better yet find the 55/100 bulb).... try it, measure the voltage at the battery before starting, then after running with all electrical loads on, see what the voltage is... if it is higher then where you started, the stator is putting out enough, go ride.

from what i understand it is a 55/60 H4 headlight 3 ear mounting and 3 prong plug.
just my suggestion, kenny

haha.... he wants to decrease the load on the electrical system, so your suggestion is to install a bulb that draws more power.....
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
I am ripping the bike apart and I noticed for running lights I have 2 55W halogen bulbs.... head light is a 80/100, then i have ignition and brake light, running ambers up front and running reds in the back. My battery still charges, I think we are giving the stator less credit then it deserves, I wonder if these raitings are about right...? http://www.electronicamotos.com.ar/p...0-750-800.html

on a daily basis I use 210W just in headlight and running lights, this does not include ignition, 1156/1157 bulbs and heated suit.

I guess I got lucky with my stator.

just wanted to pass this along.

kenny
Sounds like you are living on the edge...
Would be interesting to slap an ammeter in there and see what current is flowing...
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Might look into the KLR650. Good chance the stator is similar in size and it puts out 200 watts.
Doesn't sound like an improvement over the stock unit......
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Banned

BTW- I tried to take some pics last night, but it was raining..... didn't work out to well....
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
haha.... he wants to decrease the load on the electrical system, so your suggestion is to install a bulb that draws more power.....
Pay attention, he said he knew that would draw more power, and for 10$ i said to try it. Like I said I am doing fine with my stator and I am WAAAAAAAAY over what they said it would do, no issues 7 years and 50K miles.

I asked him where he lives so I can ship him the 10$ bulb and make a believer out of him, if the stator keeps up which I think it will. Everybody seems afraid to push the stator on the bike, I was not and I have more lights and electronics then most people, and no issues....

But yeah, if you want bright lights, dont mind spending $100+ and dont mind finding a spot for a hid control box then go for the HID, I just thought you wanted to find a reasonably priced solution.

By the way I did research on H4 LED bulbs, they sell them, do not go this route - check reviews they are junk. I posted a link about them.....

Nothing against LED but I tried LED versions of the 1157, and you know where they ended up? In a cabin in ny state as indicator lights inside the house to let you know there is a light on outside (12V) cause they were not visable enough through the blinker / running light lens. This was a few years back, maybe they got better now?

I have no trouble with too much load, so I will stick with bright incandescent for now. I have to see if I have a DC clamp on at work I got the bike apart so now is the time to do it. My series current meter only does 10A and Ill be dammed if I am putting a shunt resistor in there.

Kenny

kenny
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

^ You pay attention..........
Now put on your listening ears....
"...i need a way to run much lower wattage lights..."
"...i am still worried that increasing my headlight to such a high wattage (80/100) will not allow me to run any other accessories..."

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Woo hoo!!!another thread with over 100 posts and still going strong,I saw the post the other day named"Opinions?". I thought"Like any one needed to ask for one from this bunch". So far, IMHO Nite Rider has given the only simple and free advice on this whole thread.Check the lens and reflector and see if they are clean and shiny.

Now if you want to spend a little money- 1.do what Merc said and take the chance your elecrical system can stand it. 2.Do what kcdg did and put an led light bar with leds on tour bike. 3.Listen to Dariv said and get an HID kit.

There are the options,all work just different approaches to what you want,more light.

To the Original Poster,it is your decision to make.Read what all us clowns on here have told you and make a decision.It's your bike after all.

This reminds me of the old saying"When all is said and done,there is usually a lot more said than done"
^ I just added that to my sig line

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement