Helmets and Eye Glasses - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Helmets and Eye Glasses

I'm looking for a new helmet. I wear eye glasses. Does anyone know if a perticular helmet will work better with glasses? I always end up bending my glasses putting on and taking off my helmet. Is it any easier with a modular? Is there a perticular brand that works any better? I am just hoping some one may be able to shed some light on this.

Ride Safe
Mcneuby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:18 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcneuby View Post
I'm looking for a new helmet. I wear eye glasses. Does anyone know if a perticular helmet will work better with glasses? I always end up bending my glasses putting on and taking off my helmet. Is it any easier with a modular? Is there a perticular brand that works any better? I am just hoping some one may be able to shed some light on this.

Ride Safe
Mcneuby
I too wear glass's, I've torn up frame-less a few times, I presently (again) have (and get by with) wire-rim type, which are still in style. I wear a Full Face Helmet, put Helmet on, flip up the Visor to put glass's on / I remove glass's prior to Helmet removal.

I will be purshasing a New Helmet soon, so am interested in what your thread turns up.
tia

WilliamTech

Last edited by WilliamTech; 11-29-2012 at 05:21 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Any full face helmet that fits properly is going to get in the way of glasses. I ended up getting the "Flexon" type wire rim glasses. They bend to fit and don't stay "bent" when outside the helmet.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Many makers have relief cuts in the interior padding to make putting glasses on/off easier and to avoid them from wobbling around as you ride.

My Shoei RF does this, and from what I was told all of Shoei's helmets do.

I have never heard or seen a full face helmet that you can take on or off with your glasses on...You have to follow Willians proceedure there.

"Some" flip type helmets can however do it, but seems it does matter on the glasses themselves.

My suggestion of course is to try on a few different helmets and see which works for you....as you should be doing this anyway glasses or not to make sure the helmet fits your head properly...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
I too wear glass's, I've torn up frame-less a few times, I presently (again) have (and get by with) wire-rim type, which are still in style. I wear a Full Face Helmet, put Helmet on, flip up the Visor to put glass's on / I remove glass's prior to Helmet removal.

I will be purshasing a New Helmet soon, so am interested in what your thread turns up.
tia

WilliamTech
I wear glasses and use a full face and follow the same procedure as you described here. I have recently switched to the "Flexon" half wire frames and haven't had any of the previous bending of the frames so far.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 11-29-2012 at 09:08 PM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Pricey, but the best....check Bell...Ive only had their Bell Super Magnum, but glasses went on great (3/4 shell). The modern design aviator style goggles too, have cutouts and venting for glasses (what I use). Mine are actual vintage RAF though.

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Aviato.../dp/B008TTD4XE

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Pricey, but the best....check Bell...Ive only had their Bell Super Magnum, but glasses went on great (3/4 shell). The modern design aviator style goggles too, have cutouts and venting for glasses (what I use). Mine are actual vintage RAF though.

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Aviato.../dp/B008TTD4XE
Cycle Gear has the new Shoei Neotec Modular in metallic finishes for just $596.69. How's that compare to the Bell?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Jack of all trades

When i first got my bike i still wore my glasses. I started out with a modular helmet and had no problem putting on and taking off my helmet with my glasses on. Since i have started wearing contacts and pretty much wear any helmet i can get on my head.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Cycle Gear has the new Shoei Neotec Modular in metallic finishes for just $596.69. How's that compare to the Bell?
Even though cant speak from experience, Shoei has always had a good rep, and has all approvals...I just always liked the Bells because you can always send em back to the factory to be refurbished (I got mine in 75, and I can send it back to get like new)...I kinda doubt ANY company besides them does that....most brain buckets are considered "disposable" after "x" amount of years...
Matter of fact, used Bells are in big demand, and can command a big buck just for that reason.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hey McNeuby:
I wear glasses and have used the HJC modular helmets for years. Just flip up the chin guard and spread the ears a little and it will set right down over your glasses without moving them. I use the Symax and the Symax II. It fits the shape of my head well. The older sy max tends to fog less in the cold , but the Symax II has an integral sun visor built in that is nice in bright sun.
I have wrecked with one of those helmets on, so I know they are good protection from impact and abrasion.
That's my 2 cents.
Bronson

2005 VN 750
MF Battery
Plexistar windshield
.040 pilot jets.
Splines lubed 1955 mi.
Marbled
Iridium plugs
Reset pickup coil gaps.
Metzeler ME=880s
Shindengen MOSFET RR