Local Smart Helmet invention - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Local Smart Helmet invention

Invented by a local rider. I think it has merit.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Garage
That, my friend, Is about the best invention sense sliced bread! I myself wear the florecent green shirt during hot Alabama summer months but my black leather jacket and chaps in the winter are the best safety item but biggest safety issue I can have for nightime as well as daytime.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Low tech version: Wear a white helmet!

The impact tech seems like it could have some great uses though.

1985 VN700 unknown mileage (over 33K)

AGM Battery
Iridium spark plugs
NGK wires and caps
Relocated R/R
Marbled

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Old Fart

Garage
First off he didn't "invent" anything here, as there are a few helmet brake light systems on the market already...like this one:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/riderlight/

What he did do was apply different technology to the device. Bad part I see is you have to buy his helmet with the device "imbedded" in it....you could as mentioned just buy a Hi Vis helmet. Or the unit I linked to which attaches to the helmet you already have.

I think I already mentioned about a helmet sensor that not only knows if the rider experiances a life threatening impact, but actually calls for help.

So not new, but perhaps more improved. ANYTHING that makes a rider more visable to others on the road is always a good thing. I wish the guy good luck with his application. He will have to install it in a pretty damn good helmet for me to buy it however....I'm more likely to go with the one I linked to above.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
First off he didn't "invent" anything here, as there are a few helmet brake light systems on the market already...like this one:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/riderlight/

What he did do was apply different technology to the device. Bad part I see is you have to buy his helmet with the device "imbedded" in it....you could as mentioned just buy a Hi Vis helmet. Or the unit I linked to which attaches to the helmet you already have.

I think I already mentioned about a helmet sensor that not only knows if the rider experiances a life threatening impact, but actually calls for help.

So not new, but perhaps more improved. ANYTHING that makes a rider more visable to others on the road is always a good thing. I wish the guy good luck with his application. He will have to install it in a pretty damn good helmet for me to buy it however....I'm more likely to go with the one I linked to above.....
That's not the opinion of the US Patent Office. They issued him patent # 7,218,214. Obviously he invented something.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
That's not the opinion of the US Patent Office. They issued him patent # 7,218,214. Obviously he invented something.
Let's just say he's the only one smart enough to apply for a patent.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
Actually if you read the article he didn't invent anything....he had an idea and the turned to someone else to come up with the technology to make it work. So to me, they invented it....

There are millions of items out there that say "Patent Pending" some that do the same thing (like the wave of single cup coffee makers on the market now)

I wasn't trying to belittle the mans idea, just pointing out it was not as original and groundbreaking as the article made it sound.

Notice I didn't even say how stupid it was to wear a black helmet in the first place....

To be honest , I think the idea would be even better if there were lights on the sides and the front too....

And if memory serves me correctly, I suggested putting a yellow flashing rotating light on TOP of your helmet months ago.

I guess I should have applied for a patent......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 11-19-2012 at 02:58 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
To be honest , I think the idea would be even better if there were lights on the sides and the front too....

I was working on that same idea......

They do make a reflective "halo" for full face helmets.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Arrow

Quote:

And if memory serves me correctly, I suggested putting a yellow flashing rotating light on TOP of your helmet months ago.
KM: Did you develop your NEW helmet (with bike) or are you in the process of modification of idea's suggested within your present helmet ?

WilliamTech
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 AM

Both setups look like they would work. The battery issue will always plague good ideas such as these. Going with wires would be impossible, so it would be good if they could put rechargeable batteries in them, and have a small plug to charge them after a few days of riding.
IMHO flashing or pulsing brake lights would be the way to go. There are several vendors out there that offer them, but placement of extra brake lights has always been the issue.
Not to get off topic:
I ran across a car hauler a while back that had turn signals on both sides of the trailer that flashed 4 times then blinked in sequential order like the turn signals on an old Mercury Cougar. Caught my attention real quick. They were LED's and they were bright.
I haven't been able to find any online yet. They weren't that big, and they looked like they would fit in the back of a hard saddle bag, or with a little fab work, add them to either side of the fender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement