Turbulence? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Turbulence?

Rode a ninja 650 the other day ... The aerodynamics on that thing are out of this world. 100mph felt like nothing. I then proceeded to get onto my vn750 and by 80mph the wind was knocking me back and straining my neck. I know a windshield will work but is there anything specific that will reduce this feeling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Ive often wondered why similar bikes have a very different feel when riding at speed.
A sport bike I understand. The fairing gives a lot better aerodynamics.
But what about other cruisers? I know the Vulcan 900 has a totally different feel (wind wise)
Than my 750. I guess the aerodynamics are just that different in the wheels, headlight & handlebar placement.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM

The rider position will make a big difference too. On my Shadow if I shifted farther back on the seat I got less buffeting then when I sat closer to the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanpower View Post
Rode a ninja 650 the other day ... The aerodynamics on that thing are out of this world. 100mph felt like nothing. I then proceeded to get onto my vn750 and by 80mph the wind was knocking me back and straining my neck. I know a windshield will work but is there anything specific that will reduce this feeling?
Yes. Buy a 650 Ninja.

What kind of helmet do you have??

I just put a small windscreen on my Bonnie, and it makes a huge difference ...especially at speeds over 60 mph.

But yes, rider position....and having a fairing or windscreen, can make a big difference. Cruisers in general have you sitting up with your torso flat against the wind...your legs forward so air seems to run up them right into your helmet.

Sport bikes have you leaned forward some, so the air isn't pushing you as hard.

I've pretty much realized I can't own a bike without it having at least a short windshield.

Aerodynamically, bikes generally suck. You'd think because they are small that their drag coefficient would be better than a car....but most aren't....and 70% of the problem is usually because you have a person on them.

Your cure here is a mid to small sized windscreen..one with a frontal area that just covers your chest and the bottom half of your helmet.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Using an hjc cl-16. I know the fairings help and I've read up on the stock fairings (very pricey), maier alternatives, Memphis shades, etc. I personally feel like most of the windshields make the bike look really old fashioned, as in a bad 80s movie. I guess I should have been clearer and asked about people's opinions on accessories they've tried. I was just shocked at the difference between the bikes at high speed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanpower View Post
Using an hjc cl-16. I know the fairings help and I've read up on the stock fairings (very pricey), maier alternatives, Memphis shades, etc. I personally feel like most of the windshields make the bike look really old fashioned, as in a bad 80s movie. I guess I should have been clearer and asked about people's opinions on accessories they've tried. I was just shocked at the difference between the bikes at high speed.
Well in that case.....I suggest the Memphis Shades Hellcat.
I thought my bike looked pretty good with it on:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifemaker1954/1489997599/

But then if looks matter to you more than comfort, ain't much more I can help you with here....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Prowling Tiger

KM is right about riding position. The stock handlebars have the rider in a laid back, relaxed position which forces your body to become a wind block. After installing my shorter bars, I am now positioned forward and down some. I don't get buffeted by the wind as bad and if I do, I simply hunker down and become one with the bike. Then it feels more like a crotch rocket.

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement