Heated Grips - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Heated Grips

I was a good boy and completed a search for heated grips. I went back as far as 2008 but didn't find what I was looking for. I've completed research on heated grips and have read there may be some issue with the effectiveness of the grips when running on the open highway. They just don't seem to work well. This was said about heated grips selling for 170 dollars.

There are types which run by battery and another where the rider inserts a bar into the handle bars for your stock grips then drills a hole in the handlebars to run a wire to the controls. These are wired to the battery as well as the last choice which has you install new heated grips which run to the battery. These also have a controller or not depending on the brand.

I'm looking for something I can control but works well. I would hate to spend any amount of money for something I'd install but didn't work. Is anyone using heated grips which work well? Thanks for your input.

I have a Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 11-10-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Old Fart

Garage
One word.... Hotgrips:

http://www.hotgrips.com/

The grip heaters I linked to in the other thread work well too. If installed properly. Many don't take the time to insulate them from the bar right....

So enter Hotgrips. No fuss. The main issue is you really need the right controller with either of these things.

The ones you put into the inside of the bars are no good IMO.

Do a search for "heat troller". These make any heater alot more usefull....as many complain that the standard high/ low switch is too hot/not hot enough.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Knifemaker for responding, your information is always excellent,
I have a controller on the bike but haven't bought any equipment to plug into it due to the high cost of cloths. I don't have any information on the controller so I guess I'll be on the ground tomorrow looking for information. I bought the bike from a guy who bought it from another guy. oh boy.

Your point is well taken about insulating the grip from the bar.

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 11-10-2012 at 07:52 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I put headed grips on my VN750 4 years ago and did all the research you are currently doing (I posted results here at that time). Based on my research, HotGrips makes the best heated grip elements, but I did not care for the style of them nor the HotGrip variable controller.

Warm and Safe makes the best heat-troller Heat-trollers are pulse width modulator based, very efficient, and offer the best output control. The Warm and Safe heat-troller is also rebranded and available for other vendors (i.e., RevIt). Warm and Safe also sells a heated grip kit that includes Symtec elements.

Symtec makes a specific heating element for the right and left grip. The left pad runs a bit hotter to compensate for heat loss through contact with the metal handle bar. The right pad is mounted on the plastic throttle control tube, so it does not loose heat as fast.

I went with this kit over the HotGrips so that I could have more choices over the grips, and the option to switch grips the future without having to buy another set of heaters.

I could not be happier with the results. I should note that I don't ride when the temperatures go below freezing (which is rare here in Portland, OR). Also, I do not own a pair of winter gloves. I wear my full gauntlet spring/fall gloves and rely on the heated grips for the rest.

I don't think that I've ever had had the controller past the 70% of its total output. Beyond that setting I would need to switch to oven mitts. One note that it takes 3-5 minutes to get this setup running toasty when it is cold out and they cool off FAST.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Chris. I also felt the style of the hot grips left a lot to be desired. Still, when your hands get cold, I wouldn't care in the least as long as they worked. I'll have to see how much all this will cost me before I take the plunge. I like the fact you only have to put them up to 70%. I ride all year so it sounds like they will do the trick.

I'm really grateful having all of the experience here. I'm reminded I have come up with many solutions to problems on my bike due to the lack of funds. It was then that I really felt alive and in the moment. I was happy having my 750 as solid transportation in the cold and pouring rain. I could care less about the elements.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Unhappy

Well the reason I mentioned Hotgrips is because they do work...but are also the easiest to install.

As someone that spent his first 9 years riding on the street with a bike being my only transportation, I did learn what works and what doesn't...Oddly however I never used heated grips or clothing. So my information here is just based on a few decades of others experiances.

I did come up with some inexpensive alternatives to keep my hands warm in the winter. I made a set of hand guards from a pair of empty plastic bleach jugs.
I also made a pair of windsock type guards simular to "Hippo Hands"
(Google that .)

Again, for all out comfort, heated gloves seem to be the best. They have the advantage of being transferable from bike to bike, they do heat your entire hand, and you can take your hand of the grip if you want without it getting cold

But yeah, they are not cheap.

I think a good set of un-heated gloves coupled with a set of hand guards would be a good start. Adding grip heaters later if those just don't do the job for you as the next step

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 11-11-2012 at 12:35 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well the reason I mentioned Hotgrips is because they do work...but are also the easiest to install.

As someone that spent his first 9 years riding on the street with a bike being my only transportation, I did learn what works and what doesn't...Oddly however I never used heated grips or clothing. So my information here is just based on a few decades of others experiances.

I did come up with some inexpensive alternatives to keep my hands warm in the winter. I made a set of hand guards from a pair of empty plastic bleach jugs.
I also made a pair of windsock type guards simular to "Hippo Hands"
(Google that .)

Again, for all out comfort, heated gloves seem to be the best. They have the advantage of being transferable from bike to bike, they do heat your entire hand, and you can take your hand of the grip if you want without it getting cold

But yeah, they are not cheap.

I think a good set of un-heated gloves coupled with a set of hand guards would be a good start. Adding grip heaters later if those just don't do the job for you as the next step
Thanks Knifemaker!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Biggest issue, is to break the oncoming wind. A wide windscreen (shields grips) is preferable, combined with Thinsulate gloves. I had frostbite in my trigger finger and the middle in 77 or 78...at 40 deg no wind, it turns green.
After the full windhield, all suggestions above are all great. I'd prefer heated gloves, but thats just me. Heated grips can work, but if the knuckles are in the wind, digits will get cold from wind chill. The oncoming wind is your worst enemy...after that, its all luxury.
When it gets that cold...light a fire in the hearth, warm up some Courvoisier in some hot tea, and have momma sit on yer lap, lol....

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
When it gets that cold...light a fire in the hearth, warm up some Courvoisier in some hot tea, and have momma sit on yer lap, lol....
yes sir thats what i do

heres hoping for a white christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Biggest issue, is to break the oncoming wind. A wide windscreen (shields grips) is preferable, combined with Thinsulate gloves. I had frostbite in my trigger finger and the middle in 77 or 78...at 40 deg no wind, it turns green.
After the full windhield, all suggestions above are all great. I'd prefer heated gloves, but thats just me. Heated grips can work, but if the knuckles are in the wind, digits will get cold from wind chill. The oncoming wind is your worst enemy...after that, its all luxury.
Thanks Wolfie,
I understand just what you're saying. I had to break oncoming wind the other night at the dinner table....The girlfriend was not happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement